Don't order PGT windows

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2021, 10:00 AM
Unhappy Don't order PGT windows

We are under going extensive remodeling in our house have been waiting for months and months for the windows to enclose our Lanai. We decided on windows manufactured by PGT. Our contractor has had to stay in limbo because our dealer cannot get a shipping date, (was shipped screens but no windows) (3+weeks ago) I understand that the company is now providing the windows to the Villages for new construction, Unfortunately for those of us who are just a small jobs cannot get shipment or any type of answer regarding a shipping date. Very poor customer service and communication to their dealers. My advice is DO ORDER THESE WINDOWS UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE IF YOU GET THEM OR NOT. I am going to post this to Talk of the Villages so that no unsuspecting Villager will fall into the no delivery pit we have fallen into. This company is destroying the reputation
and business of the small business dealer and the small contractor by not filling and shipping their orders.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

3 weeks isn't enough to complain about. Some windows have to be custom-ordered to fit non-standard spaces. When we contracted Alumatech, we knew before we signed the contract that it'd take at least 4 months before they could come and start installing. They were backed up 2 months because it was so hard to get windows from the manufacturer during the main shutdown of the country due to the pandemic.

Then, they needed time to get all the permits in place (some permits require that you complete the work in a certain time period so they had to wait to submit the applications).

Then they had to wait for the windows to come in. And THEN they could set an appointment up for us to be there.

Then they started on the work but removing the first originals took half the day because the grouting had become like superglue and proved almost impossible to pull the frames out for replacement. We had 10 windows being done; the entire house.

Around the 4th day they were finally finished, except they discovered one of the windows was delivered to -them- cracked. So they had to order that one. Thankfully they noticed this crack before pulling our original windowframe off of the house.

That one replacement window took three months to be delivered. That was how long Alumatech had to wait.

Well worth the wait though, they did a great job.

The moral of the story is, 3 weeks ain't nothin. That's being impatient. Your permits take longer than that to process.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
3 weeks isn't enough to complain about. Some windows have to be custom-ordered to fit non-standard spaces. When we contracted Alumatech, we knew before we signed the contract that it'd take at least 4 months before they could come and start installing. They were backed up 2 months because it was so hard to get windows from the manufacturer during the main shutdown of the country due to the pandemic.

Then, they needed time to get all the permits in place (some permits require that you complete the work in a certain time period so they had to wait to submit the applications).

Then they had to wait for the windows to come in. And THEN they could set an appointment up for us to be there.

Then they started on the work but removing the first originals took half the day because the grouting had become like superglue and proved almost impossible to pull the frames out for replacement. We had 10 windows being done; the entire house.

Around the 4th day they were finally finished, except they discovered one of the windows was delivered to -them- cracked. So they had to order that one. Thankfully they noticed this crack before pulling our original windowframe off of the house.

That one replacement window took three months to be delivered. That was how long Alumatech had to wait.

Well worth the wait though, they did a great job.

The moral of the story is, 3 weeks ain't nothin. That's being impatient. Your permits take longer than that to process.

I read op as saying they have been waiting months for the windows and only received screens 3 weeks ago after months of waiting
Old 01-27-2021, 11:50 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Pgt

I have 12 8 foot PGT double pane gas filled sliders and find them to be high quality. Our contractor buys direct from them .. gave us the expected lead time, got the product and installed them.

It appears that two things are most likely adding to lead time: pandemic and demand. Jsut from the villages, building is booming, and after market replacement of screens to glass enclosures is rampant. I don;t know their business model, but perhaps they are comfortable running at capacity and are fearful of expansion .. Maybe thats a wise move on their part - in the meantime, everyone is free to go elsewhere, or wait in line ..

IMO thats not a reason for a DONT BUY warning
Old 01-27-2021, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I read op as saying they have been waiting months for the windows and only received screens 3 weeks ago after months of waiting
I see that you are right, I missed that. The line with the "(3+ weeks ago)" stood out.

Regardless, not all lanais are the same. A company can be doing work for multiple customers at the same time, and some of those customers will have to wait longer than others, because of the specifications of their job.

Also, he has no way of knowing that maybe the new construction had a contract with this company LONG before he ever called them to do his job. Which would mean those people come first anyway.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, shipping, small, date, dealer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.