Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Family Pools (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/family-pools-38143/)

dsnrbec 04-25-2011 03:13 PM

Family Pools

This is the first time my grandchildren have visited since warm weather and we were very disappointed at our experience at our nearest family pool. The rules seemed a little excessive and those in charge seemed to be a little overly agressive. We have little ones and were told that no pool toys were allowed. Really? In a family pool where children are expected? No one was really rude but rather extremely "eager" to make sure no rubber duckies escaped into the water. I'm a little confused and wonder if others could explain the reasons for such strictness. I understand the need for rules but small children with age appropriate toys should be tolerated IMHO.

graciegirl 04-25-2011 03:28 PM

Some toys are allowed. Noodles are for sure but not other floating devices. I know someone will tell us what is allowed and not allowed.

I guess they have to see that rules are enforced or they will be removed from their position. I know at Hadley the neighbors granddaughters, college age, were not allowed to have those things you lie on and float around on.

The weeks around Spring break we have the most guests and I guess the staff has been directed to see that rules are followed.

Helene and I are there frequently and the staff knows us, but we are asked for our ID almost every time.

I know this will vary from pool to pool, some staff members are more meticulous than others.

Bogie Shooter 04-25-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsnrbec (Post 349490)
This is the first time my grandchildren have visited since warm weather and we were very disappointed at our experience at our nearest family pool. The rules seemed a little excessive and those in charge seemed to be a little overly agressive. We have little ones and were told that no pool toys were allowed. Really? In a family pool where children are expected? No one was really rude but rather extremely "eager" to make sure no rubber duckies escaped into the water. I'm a little confused and wonder if others could explain the reasons for such strictness. I understand the need for rules but small children with age appropriate toys should be tolerated IMHO.

The rules are the rules. They are spelled out in the telephone book and somewhere on the recreation web site (I could not find them). Trouble might be what is "age appropriate", what age or what is appropriate. Solves a lot of confusion if the items are predefined what can be taken into the pools.
My grandkids easily adapted to the rules and have fun with the noodles we always take with us.
Also, not sure what you mean by "should be tolerated" by whom?

jchase 04-25-2011 03:36 PM

:agree:

graciegirl 04-25-2011 03:36 PM

Rubber duckies were not tolerated? I think water pistols aren't allowed.

Bill-n-Brillo 04-25-2011 03:44 PM

Here are the rules - from www.districtgov.org. See the 4th page of the document, lower RH corner, for the family pool info:

http://www.districtgov.org/images/RecGuide.pdf

Bill :)

ilovetv 04-25-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 349504)
Here are the rules - from www.districtgov.org. See the 4th page of the document, lower RH corner, for the family pool info:
http://www.districtgov.org/images/RecGuide.pdf
Bill :)

These sound like reasonable rules to me, considering all the ruckus and aggravation I've seen for years at other pools outside of TV. Many parents today want NO rules for the "little darlings" who might become scarred for life if told the word "no".

Throwing things and playing catch and running after them makes life miserable for adults trying to relax at a pool.....like when you're lying on a lounge chair napping, and you get hit in the chest or face with a soggy tennis ball...and the parent says "you have no right to correct MY child". Monster in the making.

"Family Pools:
• It is requested that children 36 months of age and younger wear protective rubber pants.
• Running, horseplay and throwing of any objects in the pool or deck area is prohibited.
• Noodles, unbreakable masks, goggles, and small plastic buckets are the only items allowed in the pool.
• Please encourage small guests to take bathroom breaks. • Approved life vests are permitted. Infant and toddler floatation devices are allowed with adult supervision."

dsnrbec 04-25-2011 05:15 PM

If I wanted to swim during a busy family week, I would make sure to go to an adult pool if I didn't want to be bothered by children playing. Running around and horseplay are quite a bit different than small children (ages 2 and 5) using pool toys. They can't swim and don't much care for noodles so that leaves them with nothing much to do in the water. Just saying.

Bosoxfan 04-25-2011 05:51 PM

:BigApplause:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovetv (Post 349515)
These sound like reasonable rules to me, considering all the ruckus and aggravation I've seen for years at other pools outside of TV. Many parents today want NO rules for the "little darlings" who might become scarred for life if told the word "no".

Throwing things and playing catch and running after them makes life miserable for adults trying to relax at a pool.....like when you're lying on a lounge chair napping, and you get hit in the chest or face with a soggy tennis ball...and the parent says "you have no right to correct MY child". Monster in the making.

"Family Pools:
• It is requested that children 36 months of age and younger wear protective rubber pants.
• Running, horseplay and throwing of any objects in the pool or deck area is prohibited.
• Noodles, unbreakable masks, goggles, and small plastic buckets are the only items allowed in the pool.
• Please encourage small guests to take bathroom breaks. • Approved life vests are permitted. Infant and toddler floatation devices are allowed with adult supervision."

graciegirl 04-25-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsnrbec (Post 349545)
If I wanted to swim during a busy family week, I would make sure to go to an adult pool if I didn't want to be bothered by children playing. Running around and horseplay are quite a bit different than small children (ages 2 and 5) using pool toys. They can't swim and don't much care for noodles so that leaves them with nothing much to do in the water. Just saying.

Please tell us what kind of pool toys did your little ones bring and could not use? If you can be specific it would be a help to the rest of us so we can prepare the little ones in our respective families.

skyguy79 04-25-2011 07:29 PM

The Morse organization has done a lot of right things in their planning of The Villages, but they may have fallen a little short in the planning of family pool areas.

In the camp ground we have been seasonal for years here in NY, they have an adult pool thats for 21 year olds and older. Right next to is is a separately fenced in area that has a wading pool with a fountain in the middle for the little ones where they can bring in their rubber duckies without any problems. The little ones have a blast in there. What parents have frequently done is bring their kiddies to that pool and the parents take turns going over to the heated adult pool while one stays with and supervises the kid(s).

Perhaps this family pool concern would be a non-issue today if they had thought when planning of doing similarly at the family pools in TV. Could it still be done; is there enough room to add it? I don't know the answers or if it would even be feasible, but it would be nice if they could!

GeorgeT 04-26-2011 08:01 AM

This seems like a good time to vent about people leaving their shoes by the railing used to access the neighborhood pools. I generally need to help my 90 year old Mother into the pool and all these shoes by the railing are a safety hazard. We have to step over them to get her into the pool. Please leave your shoes by your chair or buy the ones that you can wear into the pool.

Thanks.

graciegirl 04-26-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 349584)
The Morse organization has done a lot of right things in their planning of The Villages, but they may have fallen a little short in the planning of family pool areas.

In the camp ground we have been seasonal for years here in NY, they have an adult pool thats for 21 year olds and older. Right next to is is a separately fenced in area that has a wading pool with a fountain in the middle for the little ones where they can bring in their rubber duckies without any problems. The little ones have a blast in there. What parents have frequently done is bring their kiddies to that pool and the parents take turns going over to the heated adult pool while one stays with and supervises the kid(s).

Perhaps this family pool concern would be a non-issue today if they had thought when planning of doing similarly at the family pools in TV. Could it still be done; is there enough room to add it? I don't know the answers or if it would even be feasible, but it would be nice if they could!

I think...

That the planning was to make everything the best for us the residents with accommodations made for our infrequent guests. Children under the age of 19 can only visit up to 30 days per year.

So...all the pools are really adult pools, no life guards ever and no little baby pools. The ones at the rec center can have young guests but they must be accompanied by the adults.

Bogie Shooter 04-26-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 349578)
Please tell us what kind of pool toys did your little ones bring and could not use? If you can be specific it would be a help to the rest of us so we can prepare the little ones in our respective families.

Perhaps the better approach would be to look at what is allowed, rather than what was not allowed. See Bill's post above for link.

redwitch 04-26-2011 11:03 AM

I'm trying to imagine bringing my 2 YO grandson to a family pool during spring break. He wants his floating Mickey, a bucket (allowed) and at least one other bath toy. He'll be wearing his floaties (allowed) and I'll have his small inner tube (allowed). I'll have my noodle chair (allowed) and a couple of noodles (also allowed). My daughter will have another noodle chair (allowed). Another family brings their two grandchildren and 3 toys for each grandchild. And so on and so forth. That means every family is probably bringing at least 3 allowed items. That's going to make for quite a bit of things in the pool (besides the people). Now, imagine if other toys were allowed as well.

I understand your frustration but I also understand the reason for these rules. We all want to enjoy the pool and it really wouldn't be much fun if we constantly had to dodge toys (and kids don't put one toy away when they're ready to play with the next -- they would all be in the pool with them).

And I totally agree that a few wading pools next to the deeper family pools would be a truly great thing.

skyguy79 04-26-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 349712)
I think...

That the planning was to make everything the best for us the residents with accomadations made for our infrequent guests. Children under the age of 19 can only visit up to 30 days per year.

So...all the pools are really adult pools, no life guards ever and no little baby pools. The ones at the rec center can have young guests but they must be accompanied by the adults.

Based on the reasoning of what you've stated I have to ask... if the Charter School can be provided by The Villages as a benefit to those who serve The Villages directly or through businesses within The Villages, then what would be the problem with The Villages providing a wading pool at a comparatively insignifant expense, in at least two neighborhood centers (one located strategicly in the northern section and another in the southern section of The Villages) where TV residents would have the option of bringing their little grandchildren without rubber duckey restrictions? Seems to me to be a no brainer win-win idea for both grandparents and users of family pools!
http://www.extra-mile.com/wow/graphics/283.jpg

graciegirl 04-26-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 349754)
Based on the reasoning of what you've stated I have to ask... if the Charter School can be provided by The Villages as a benefit to those who serve The Villages directly or through businesses within The Villages, then what would be the problem with The Villages providing a wading pool at a comparatively insignifant expense, in at least two neighborhood centers (one located strategicly in the northern section and another in the southern section of The Villages) where TV residents would have the option of bringing their little grandchildren without rubber duckey restrictions? Seems to me to be a no brainer win-win idea for both grandparents and users of family pools!
http://www.extra-mile.com/wow/graphics/283.jpg

Skyguy.

I think that those are good ideas, but it isn't gonna happen because this is not a voting form of government.

I haven't ever heard from my grandchildren or anyone else that their kids didn't have a great time at the pools the way they are. If we allowed everyone's good ideas then we would need slides and than...........life guards and.........on and on.

And then our amenity fees would be much more than the $135 that it is now.

JenAjd 04-26-2011 11:38 AM

We were doing a cart-ride on Easter Sunday and stopped by Fishhawk to just take a look. The day being hot and nice, had alot of families at this pool. The employee that was there chatted with us saying there were approx. 65 people in the pool and around it (it looked quite crowded to me) but 120 is the max and when that number comes up..then people are turned away. IF all the children at this pool had had toys (even one) it could have seemed excessive. Personally I stay away from the family pools when it's this busy. I think even some of the neighborhood pools can be this way as well. I do alot of pool-walking so try to go at a "quieter" time (late in the day or early in the day) to be comfortable. IMO I've seen some very polite families at the pools and I've also observed some who seem to take the pool over without consideration of others. But that can transcend into any activity here in T.V.

I don't have toddler grands...but can see a real need for a real children's pool area. At the family pools it isn't shallow enough for young kids. Maybe a petition should be made to the Morse's to see what could be done re: this.

GeorgeT 04-26-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 349757)
Skyguy.

I think that those are good ideas, but it isn't gonna happen because this is not a voting form of government.

I haven't ever heard from my grandchildren or anyone else that their kids didn't have a great time at the pools the way they are. If we allowed everyone's good ideas then we would need slides and than...........life guards and.........on and on.

:agree:

Damm, when I was a kid we had to swim in a crappy lake with a stick for a toy. My heart bleeds for the child that can't have his rubber ducky. Jeezz!

LET IT GO!

:spoken:

skyguy79 04-26-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Skyguy.

I'll "allow" that one to "slide" before we need "life guards" here on TOTV! :duck: :1rotfl:
p.s. my kitties send their regards to your kitties! http://www.alfy.com/Messageboard/AVATAR/cat1.jpg

Bogie Shooter 04-26-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Skyguy.

Gotta agree with Gracie.
Come on, this is a retirement community. My grandkids have enjoyed the pools with the rules in place.
Any grandkids can sacrifice the fact that they cannot ride a big float in the pool. And why would we build wading pools that would not be used all that much. Go to any of the pools on non-holiday dates and count how many people/toddlers are in the pool.

ilovetv 04-26-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 349753)
I'm trying to imagine bringing my 2 YO grandson to a family pool during spring break. He wants his floating Mickey, a bucket (allowed) and at least one other bath toy. He'll be wearing his floaties (allowed) and I'll have.......
(and kids don't put one toy away when they're ready to play with the next -- they would all be in the pool with them).

And I totally agree that a few wading pools next to the deeper family pools would be a truly great thing.

Exactly.

Also, a big problem I've seen over the years in private club pools outside TV is that ANY floating small object, like a squishy ball, tennis ball, rubber duckie, etc. inevitably gets grabbed by boys between ages 5 & 18 who will run across the deck, whipping it like a missile at their buddies in or out of the water, or playing catch while falling/jumping into the water off the pool deck.

I have brothers and grown sons, and have seen for decades that throwing a ball or something like it is some kind of an irresistible, primordial urge to them. (!?!?!?!?@@#????!????!!)

We always went after our kids to stop them from annoying other pool users, but many parents do not.....as if everything their kids do is "cute" or worthy of others' praise.

I also remember taking my toddlers to pools....and separate wading pools...and the older boys would grab noodles and WHIP them on the surface of the water, taking out their aggression or purposely intimidating....or just being immature as they are.

Taking toddlers to a non-wading pool is anything but "fun". Our preschoolers played and played in the portable wading pools we used to set up on the deck or in the back yard. There, we could watch them without dealing with older kids to discipline....which their parents wouldn't tolerate anyway.

Tbugs 04-26-2011 12:33 PM

After reading these posts, I am glad I only go to a Neighborhood (adult) pool where the youngest person is 30 years old.

No way would I support wading pools. What a waste of money that would be - and like Gracie says (she always is so smart), our amenity fee would certainly increase if we had things like wading pools, lifeguards, etc.

angela1990 04-26-2011 12:50 PM

I understand everyone has a different point of view and you can't ever make everyone happy. When my grandchildren are here (both under 2) I have a little wading pool I purchased in Walmart. The little ones love it and I do too, because I have all the convenience of home while they are amused in the pool. The older grandchilren (5, 7 and 9) love the family pool with their noodles. They also love having mommy and daddy paying more attention to them then the little ones. Everyone is happy.

katezbox 04-26-2011 12:54 PM

When my children were little, an elderly relative wanted us to come visit her in Sun City, AZ. She never married, had no children and was an only child. She thought a great trip would be a lengthy car ride with two kids under the age of 5 to visit the Grand canyon, Lake Meade, etc. At the time, in Sun City, only a couple of the pools were open to children at all - and then only for a limited time during the day.

I think the Morse family has done a great job with the pools and rules. If children were allowed to live in TV, I would support the wading pool idea...but they aren't. Nothing stops grandparents from blowing up an inflatable pool in their yards for the littlest ones.

Also, in addition to the comments on number of toys, etc, rubber duckies, boats, etc can take on water. That means they can provide a lovely place to grow bacteria and then introduce it into a pool.

If folks think the rules are too restrictive, mention them in your survey next year or start a petition... We have a chuckle here that my daughter who has been out in the work world for quite some time as an adult, must go to the family pool as she is only 29!

k

Ohiogirl 04-26-2011 04:02 PM

steps are like wading pools

the family pools (at least the ones I've been to) have the same wide shallow steps as the adult pools - makes a great area to sit with the truly little ones. I see no need to build separate wading pools.

And really, no one seems to squawk if kids are playing responsibly with a couple of diving or floating toys. I certainly wouldn't complain unless they were annoying someone - and if they are, there's someone at the desk in the rec center to handle it if needed. I'd probably tell the kids to keep them on the other side of the pool from any little ones on the steps, if they seem to be bothered, but that's about it.

It is pretty unreasonable to expect boys above about age 5 to play with a plastic bucket (unless they're throwing it)!

katezbox 04-26-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohiogirl (Post 349833)
the family pools (at least the ones I've been to) have the same wide shallow steps as the adult pools - makes a great area to sit with the truly little ones. I see no need to build separate wading pools.

And really, no one seems to squawk if kids are playing responsibly with a couple of diving or floating toys. I certainly wouldn't complain unless they were annoying someone - and if they are, there's someone at the desk in the rec center to handle it if needed. I'd probably tell the kids to keep them on the other side of the pool from any little ones on the steps, if they seem to be bothered, but that's about it.

It is pretty unreasonable to expect boys above about age 5 to play with a plastic bucket (unless they're throwing it)!

Ohiogirl,

The rules are there for a reason. We really don't get to pick and choose.

Floating and diving toys are not allowed. If boys over 5 need something else to play with - when they have a whole pool to use - then maybe they shouldn't be at the pool.

k

dsnrbec 04-26-2011 06:17 PM

Since someone asked in a previous post, the children had 3 or 4 small floating toys (no larger than a tennis ball) and we were asked to remove them from the pool. As I understand it, there are no toys allowed except for a plastic bucket. I'm all for rules -- they are part of what makes TV a great place to live for everyone. My only point to the original post was that this particular rule didn't make a lot of sense to me. Some have brought up good points that I hadn't originally considered. I surely wouldn't want my grandchildren to annoy anyone else but I do want them to love visiting me here!

Bogie Shooter 04-26-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsnrbec (Post 349870)
Since someone asked in a previous post, the children had 3 or 4 small floating toys (no larger than a tennis ball) and we were asked to remove them from the pool. As I understand it, there are no toys allowed except for a plastic bucket. I'm all for rules -- they are part of what makes TV a great place to live for everyone. My only point to the original post was that this particular rule didn't make a lot of sense to me. Some have brought up good points that I hadn't originally considered. I surely wouldn't want my grandchildren to annoy anyone else but I do want them to love visiting me here!

They will, regardless if they do or do not have their floating toys in the pool

katezbox 04-26-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 349874)
They will, regardless if they do or do not have there floating toys in the pool

Absolutely agree!

Boudicca 04-26-2011 08:04 PM

Aggressive pool guardians

My family similarly had an unpleasant experience this Sunday at Fishhawk family pool. Baby toys were taken from toddlers by the guard (the "no toy rule", despite there being no such rule posted at the pool). I understand now, that rules are listed elsewhere. My disappointment was additionally aimed at the only family in the pool who complained to the guard. Prior to this family's arrival, the other 61 of us had watched children happily playing with their harmless pool toys (and I mean FOAM toys, or baloon like beach balls) This one family gathered in a corner of the pool, and vocally decided things were not to THEIR liking. We had observed the most senior lady of the group, apparently being very fearful of splashing. (new hair do). Perhaps that family would have been happier in the adult pool, where presumably there would be no splashing. Not content to glower at the children (in a childrens' pool no less), they issued a formal complaint. We then heard the relief attendant, declare "well, I like a challenge" That apparently appeased them, because they left the pool..... My 14 year old grand-daughter's comment, "Well, this is not my idea of America's friendliest home town".... out of the mouths of babes..... We have since officially complained over the way the entire fracas was handled. Not so happy grandma.

bluedog103 04-26-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovetv (Post 349515)

How large can that small bucket be? What if the bucket is shaped like a duck?
Can the toddler flotation device look like a duck?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, rules are rules are rules etc.
Sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

katezbox 04-26-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrandell (Post 349900)
My family similarly had an unpleasant experience this Sunday at Fishhawk family pool. Baby toys were taken from toddlers by the guard (the "no toy rule", despite there being no such rule posted at the pool). I understand now, that rules are listed elsewhere. My disappointment was additionally aimed at the only family in the pool who complained to the guard. Prior to this family's arrival, the other 61 of us had watched children happily playing with their harmless pool toys (and I mean FOAM toys, or baloon like beach balls) This one family gathered in a corner of the pool, and vocally decided things were not to THEIR liking. We had observed the most senior lady of the group, apparently being very fearful of splashing. (new hair do). Perhaps that family would have been happier in the adult pool, where presumably there would be no splashing. Not content to glower at the children (in a childrens' pool no less), they issued a formal complaint. We then heard the relief attendant, declare "well, I like a challenge" That apparently appeased them, because they left the pool..... My 14 year old grand-daughter's comment, "Well, this is not my idea of America's friendliest home town".... out of the mouths of babes..... We have since officially complained over the way the entire fracas was handled. Not so happy grandma.

I am sorry that you had this experience, and that the attendant was not able to adhere to the rules without causing offense...that is something of a thankless job. But, to be fair, it is not a children's pool.

graciegirl 04-26-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrandell (Post 349900)

Were the toys really "taken" from the toddlers in the sense they were removed from their hands or physically removed from the pool??? Or were the parents asked to not put them in the pool.

bluedog103 04-26-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katezbox (Post 349916)
I am sorry that you had this experience, and that the attendant was not able to adhere to the rules without causing offense...that is something of a thankless job. But, to be fair, it is not a children's pool.

You're right, Fishhawk isn't a childrens pool but it is a family pool. To me, "family pool" implies that children may be there. Children are not small adults. They do children things.
My wife and I like to go to Fishhawk sometimes because there are families there, kids and all. Kind of like the real world.
One afternoon there were about a half dozen kids there having fun. Nothing especially rowdy, nothing really loud. In comes in an old grouch and proceeds to sit by us. He immediately began glaring at the kids and complaining to anyone withing earshot. I tried to be ignore him but finally got tired of listening to him. I asked him why he didn't go to a neighborhood pool if kids bothered him that much. Now he glared at me, as if I cared, and went stomping off.
Good riddance.

dillywho 04-26-2011 10:49 PM

Many established rules do not always make sense or may seem ridiculous to some in many areas, not just this pool discussion. Seems like a lot of problems could be avoided if people would be more proactive rather than reactive.

This could be a teaching lesson for everyone from the children to the staff charged with rules compliance. Kids need to learn that there are boundaries (or rules, if you will) in many aspects of life and everything is not always what we would like or are in agreement with. I know that as a teenager especially, I thought many of my mother's rules were totally off the wall when she actually had some really sound reasons for establishing and enforcing them. Did I always get a detailed explanation of them? No. Did I have to abide by them even if I didn't agree or like? Absolutely.

Maybe a flyer could be handed out to residents when they pick up their guest passes regarding do's and don'ts for use of the amenities with reference to where to find a more detailed ruling of each. Some are already pretty much spelled out on the sheet containing the cards.

graciegirl 04-27-2011 06:31 AM

That was a great post Dillywho. I reread my posts on this thread and I think I came off sounding antichild when in truth I love little ones, enjoy being with them and watching other peoples and was a kindergarten teacher for decades, my happiest job.

My point is that none of us would be disappointed so badly if we knew what to expect, the big ones and the little ones. Sometimes the rules do chafe, but when we have a LOT of company in TV such as this holiday time, than the rules are probably more closely enforced. Pool toys lying around can trip seniors, of course they would be clumsy and older than me, but they could. When we go to a family pool, we go with the expectation that it will be loud and busy and smaller humans will be making quick and unexpected movements. I see people playing a lot with kids and talking to them and carrying them. I never really saw anyone not having a good time, big or little. Grandparents were lavishing attention on their little folks and the little ones were smiling back. I know, if I had a small grandchild, I would want to get them the biggest soaker I could find and have a fleet of rubber duckies for them. I am sorry if I sounded uncaring. My college age grandchildren want to discuss political philosophy. What fun is that???

A flyer with the passes is a wonderful idea.

ddan32162 04-27-2011 07:17 AM

Family Pool rules

I agree "rules are rules" and that the attendants are held accountable during their watches. However, last summer my grandson (10 yrs. old) was using a mask, snorkel and rubber flippers, and was told he couldn't use them (other than the mask). It does seem a little extreme at times. I suppose that's why people have private pools installed.

:sigh:

dillywho 04-27-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 349967)
That was a great post Dillywho. I reread my posts on this thread and I think I came off sounding antichild when in truth I love little ones, enjoy being with them and watching other peoples and was a kindergarten teacher for decades, my happiest job.

My point is that none of us would be disappointed so badly if we knew what to expect, the big ones and the little ones. Sometimes the rules do chafe, but when we have a LOT of company in TV such as this holiday time, than the rules are probably more closely enforced. Pool toys lying around can trip seniors, of course they would be clumsy and older than me, but they could. When we go to a family pool, we go with the expectation that it will be loud and busy and smaller humans will be making quick and unexpected movements. I see people playing a lot with kids and talking to them and carrying them. I never really saw anyone not having a good time, big or little. Grandparents were lavishing attention on their little folks and the little ones were smiling back. I know, if I had a small grandchild, I would want to get them the biggest soaker I could find and have a fleet of rubber duckies for them. I am sorry if I sounded uncaring. My college age grandchildren want to discuss political philosophy. What fun is that???

A flyer with the passes is a wonderful idea.

Thanks, Gracie. I, too, love the little ones and know for a fact that you do.

My point is/was that you can teach them that when there are rules, they are to be observed. This doesn't mean that you don't love them...quite the contrary. Children are going to love their grandparents even if they don't let them have what they want. They will still love them even when they don't get to drive the golf cart, play on the billiards tables, take any items they desire to the pool, etc. It's up to us to guide our youth to be good, caring, and responsible adults. We can do that and still have great, memorable times together.:clap2:

nitehawk 04-27-2011 07:29 AM

Why can't I take my scuba gear to the neighborhood pool -- why can't my grandchildren bring there kayak to the family pool (it is not the children's pool) - - why why why --- maybe we could have a priority membership for a chrildrens pool you can buy for an additional $500 per year,--- maybe grandma and grandpa could take the children to the beach---sorry there are rules there too.