Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Brownwood - Wildwood (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/brownwood-wildwood-58933/)

buggyone 08-18-2012 12:02 PM

Brownwood - Wildwood

I was talking with a fellow Villager yesterday at Mallory Hill CC. He told me he had been talking to several construction workers near Brownwood and all of them were from Wildwood. They said that they would be frequenting the bars at Brownwood once it was completed since the bars outside The Villages cannot compete with the drink prices of The Villages and just as close as Wildwood - technically it is Wildwood.

Not that I am disparaging construction workers or Wildwood in general, but I wonder about having Brownwood built within Wildwood. Will it be bringing too many outsiders in to the nightly entertainment so residents will have a hard time finding seats in the stadium seating or a much more local clientle than we find at Spanish Springs or Lake Sumter Landing?

cquick 08-18-2012 12:20 PM

I don't think having "outsiders" is a bad thing.....after all the businesses there want to stay solvent....I don't think the
"outsiders" will hurt Brownwood at all......let them spend their money there!

Bogie Shooter 08-18-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cquick (Post 542903)
I don't think having "outsiders" is a bad thing.....after all the businesses there want to stay solvent....I don't think the

I agree.

Bogie Shooter 08-18-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggyone (Post 542892)
I was talking with a fellow Villager yesterday at Mallory Hill CC. He told me he had been talking to several construction workers near Brownwood and all of them were from Wildwood. They said that they would be frequenting the bars at Brownwood once it was completed since the bars outside The Villages cannot compete with the drink prices of The Villages and just as close as Wildwood - technically it is Wildwood.

Not that I am disparaging construction workers or Wildwood in general, but I wonder about having Brownwood built within Wildwood. Will it be bringing too many outsiders in to the nightly entertainment so residents will have a hard time finding seats in the stadium seating or a much more local clientle than we find at Spanish Springs or Lake Sumter Landing?

And what do you propose doing to eliminate having those "outsiders" coming into Brownwood.
This should not even be discussed!

quirky3 08-18-2012 12:43 PM

I agree!

Quote:

I agree!:thumbup:

tucson 08-18-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

The "outsiders" have been using TV retail shops/restuarants/bars/hospitals/ etc; for many,many years. Not to worry....

graciegirl 08-18-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

You are a great guy, but I think you worry too much about this issue. Once all is said and done, I betcha it is gonna be fine.

Not everyone likes to hang out with geezers.

All around us are areas of poverty. We are bringing business and jobs by our being here and over time the areas around us should improve as the number of employed increases.

Is this political?

mulligan 08-18-2012 12:54 PM

Thought we'd gotten over this wildwood discussion. This really burns me. Wildwood residents can build your homes (quite well i might add), clean them, mow your lawns, and probably wipe your butt when you hit the nursing home, but don,t let them spend their money in "your bars". Give me a break!!

Bogie Shooter 08-18-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 542935)
You are a great guy, but I think you worry too much about this issue. Once all is said and done, I betcha it is gonna be fine.

Not everyone likes to hang out with geezers.

All around us are areas of poverty. We are bringing business and jobs by our being here and over time the areas around us should improve as the number of employed increases.

Is this political?

Only when you start giving us the party line on how to eliminate poverty~:police:

graciegirl 08-18-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 542944)
Only when you start giving us the party line on how to eliminate poverty~:police:

That'll never happen. I appreciate the fact that good happens around us for the folks who lived here before us.

cquick 08-18-2012 01:02 PM

I personnally am excited about more shopping!

skip0358 08-18-2012 01:07 PM

Wildwood

I do think your missing something,how many outsiders already shop,work, ride thru,visit here. As stated let them come and enjoy and spend their money here. Oh yea by the way we were ALL outsiders at one point so relax and when you meet one of those outsiders remember to say hi and introduce yourself.

asianthree 08-18-2012 01:08 PM

ummmmmm shopping and dreams of costco...sams TJs cheesecake factory....sorry just dreaming

buggyone 08-18-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 542941)
Thought we'd gotten over this wildwood discussion. This really burns me. Wildwood residents can build your homes (quite well i might add), clean them, mow your lawns, and probably wipe your butt when you hit the nursing home, but don,t let them spend their money in "your bars". Give me a break!!

I did not say anything about not letting people from Wildwood use our public restaurants and bars or entertainment at the squares. I am only wondering if Brownwood will become "Wildwood East" (if I have my direction right) instead of a place that Villagers will cluster. Just wondering, that's all - not disparaging anyone.

Barefoot 08-18-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

"Outsiders" have been the life blood of Spanish Springs and LSL, and the movie theatres. So have Snowbirds. Without these two groups, it would be a struggle for businesses and restaurants to remain profitable.

njbchbum 08-18-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

i'm wondering how one tells the residents from the locals at ss or lsl to begin with. i thought it was a pretty consistent feeling around here that residents pretty much became enamoured with the squares after a few months of living in the villages and found other stuff to do - no? if that is so, who is filling up the squares in the evening?

jblum315 08-18-2012 02:18 PM

I think I sense the Martha's Vineyard mentality here. Don't let any more outsiders in. Keep this island private for us. But the "outsiders" money helps keep the businesses going in The Villages, just like the tourists in Martha's Vineyard, especially when the snowbirds are away.

Bogie Shooter 08-18-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggyone (Post 543006)
I did not say anything about not letting people from Wildwood use our public restaurants and bars or entertainment at the squares. I am only wondering if Brownwood will become "Wildwood East" (if I have my direction right) instead of a place that Villagers will cluster. Just wondering, that's all - not disparaging anyone.

???

buggyone 08-18-2012 02:23 PM

I don't think that Villagers get tired of going to the town squares. I have lived here about 3 years and go either to Lake Sumter Landing or Spanish Springs (both same distance in my golf cart) a couple of times a week.

Love going to Rocky & The Rollers!

It will be interesting to see how Brownwood works out. I wish it much success and know it will be a welcome addition to the area. I am not going to secondguess anything the Developer does. He is a genius.

NotGolfer 08-18-2012 02:29 PM

:popcorn:

gomoho 08-18-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 543018)
i'm wondering how one tells the residents from the locals at ss or lsl to begin with. i thought it was a pretty consistent feeling around here that residents pretty much became enamoured with the squares after a few months of living in the villages and found other stuff to do - no? if that is so, who is filling up the squares in the evening?

how about we start with age!!!:22yikes:

Cantwaittoarrive 08-18-2012 03:03 PM

Outsider's money helps to keep the businesses solvent and the drink prices low. If the businesses aren't making money they either leave or raise their prices

SoccerCoach 08-18-2012 03:31 PM

Gracie, nice post, I agree too. I think were we ALL outsiders before we relocated here.

mulligan 08-18-2012 03:53 PM

Suppose we should change the name of Spanish Springs to Lady Lake West.

dog friendly 08-18-2012 04:10 PM

brownwood wildwood

I agree with Gracie

asianthree 08-18-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 543013)
"Outsiders" have been the life blood of Spanish Springs and LSL, and the movie theatres. So have Snowbirds. Without these two groups, it would be a struggle for businesses and restaurants to remain profitable.

i live here and i am sometimes a snowbird, sometimes a fallbird, sometimes a springbird, so i guess i am like the outsiders, supporting the squares sometimes.

Bogie Shooter 08-18-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 543105)
i live here and i am sometimes a snowbird, sometimes a fallbird, sometimes a springbird, so i guess i am like the outsiders, supporting the squares sometimes.

We are glad to have you all times!

Bosoxfan 08-18-2012 04:34 PM

:BigApplause:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 542928)
And what do you propose doing to eliminate having those "outsiders" coming into Brownwood.
This should not even be discussed!

:mademyday:

njbchbum 08-18-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 543035)
how about we start with age!!!:22yikes:

nah - too many other retirement communities have residents who enjoy our squares. some even know how to get there in their golf carts using our golf cart paths!

i often think the shopping centers should have all handicapped parking spots EXCEPT for designated parking for non-handicapped! :)

asianthree 08-18-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 543108)
We are glad to have you all times!

thanks

justjim 08-18-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 543018)

Villagers go to the squares to eat, drink, dance, shop, movies, listen to music and generally to have a good time. I think you are correct in that many go often at first but then "slack off" the longer they live in TV. Although, I notice some of the same people at the square quite often.

I don't think Brownwood will be much different than LSL or Spanish Springs. With 110,000 or so Villagers at build out, 7% or 8% going to the squares in the evening is a lot of people. So get ready to charge up or gas up those carts and drive south for a good time!

justjim 08-18-2012 05:13 PM

There is something I wonder about at Brownwood. Will happy hour be from 5-7 like Spanish Springs or 5-6 like LSL?? No happy hour? Now that is something to be really concerned about Brownwood!

gomoho 08-18-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 543140)
There is something I wonder about at Brownwood. Will happy hour be from 5-7 like Spanish Springs or 5-6 like LSL?? No happy hour? Now that is something to be really concerned about Brownwood!

How about all day every day!:BigApplause:

EdV 08-18-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 543113)
nah - too many other retirement communities have residents who enjoy our squares.

Do you have any idea how elitist this sounds. What is it that makes them your squares. The squares and the nightly entertainment are paid for by the commercial entities at those squares that welcome all customers as long as their money is green.

But I think Gary Morse should be voted into the magician’s hall of fame for creating the illusion that TV is a private guard gated community. It has fooled untold thousands of TV residents. And they get quite ornery about it when they realize this and wake up with the oh-no's.

justjim 08-18-2012 06:24 PM

I say come one----come all. Enjoy our Squares and spend lots and lots of money!

JoeC1947 08-18-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdVinMass (Post 543172)
Do you have any idea how elitist this sounds. What is it that makes them your squares. The squares and the nightly entertainment are paid for by the commercial entities at those squares that welcome all customers as long as their money is green.

But I think Gary Morse should be voted into the magician’s hall of fame for creating the illusion that TV is a private guard gated community. It has fooled untold thousands of TV residents. And they get quite ornery about it when they realize this and wake up with the oh-no's.

LOL...You're right on the mark.

graciegirl 08-18-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Now Edvin. It is the pride of ownership of one's own town that makes it sound elitest. I am one of many, many people who think it is just right and haven't had a case of the OH NO's until recently about the danged signs. I don't want anything changed from the way it is now. I cringe to think any elected dinglefoot could change it and ruin everything.

I don't think anyone has tried to hoodwink me. I think the Morses know how to run things efficiently and well. I am more than satisfied. A truly gated community is not what it is, but it works wonderfully. It pretty much keeps the nice people in and unfortunatly it isn't fail safe, a few grumps have snuck in somehow.

duffysmom 08-18-2012 06:28 PM

I 've heard that the Sheriff will have a sub station in Brownwood.:police:

buggyone 08-18-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffysmom (Post 543182)
I 've heard that the Sheriff will have a sub station in Brownwood.:police:

Not too much difference, but the sub-station will be Wildwood Police.

njbchbum 08-18-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

who are you calling elitist - me? did you follow the thread and the post to which i was responding? where did i say or even imply that they are my squares? i, like many, have been in the villages to no longer need to go to the squares for entertainment! please take your humble self - oh never mind. sheesh and boy howdy!