View Single Post

Old 03-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Deed restrictions are enforced but must be reported.

You can tell people to remove ropes but some people will just defy all regulations. There is NO way there is any punishment for breaking these rules. Tell someone they are banned from the squares??? Think about it.

They publish the rules in The Daily Sun and in The Recreation News about water aerobics in neighborhood pools and people get on this forum and say they are doing it anyway.

You all know someone who would just do it to prove their "power". AND particularly people who don't own property here cannot be fined. What if they don't want to tell you who they are. I can see why it isn't enforced.

Redwitch, what would your plan be???? I expect people to behave like I would or my kids would or my parents would. But That is just it. How are you going to MAKE them obey the rules???????
You make some excellent points, but the first thing that needs to happen is to determine if there actually a written rule regarding this problem. If there is then we need to demand that the entertainment department enforce the rules. It doesn't matter if people are rude to the entertainment staff or that the staff does not want to be involved in confrontations. They are there to protect us by enforcing the rules.

If there is no rule then we, the concerned residents of The Villages need to put pressure on the entertainment department or The Villages to create a rule which will define exactly what is allowed and what isn't.

The fact that we've never seen anything in print about this or hear any announcements about it leads me to believe that no rule actually exists. That, to me, is understandable as the powers that be probably never anticipated this to be a problem. It has however become a problem and there needs to be a written rule that can be enforced.

As some have stated we have a few different situations here. On one extreme, we have people that come in at 3:30 and rope off 50 chairs. In my opinion, that should simply not be allowed. But again, I've never seen a rule that bans it nor have I seen anyone from the entertainment department enforce it. On the other end of the spectrum, we have a couple that places seat cushions on their chairs and gets up to dance to get a drink to use the toilet. I think that most reasonable people would agree that that's acceptable.

And we have a lot of things in between those two. A couple is waiting for another couple for example who is supposed to arrive with a half hour. Should they be allowed to save seats? Is there a rule defining whether or not this is acceptable.

Like I said, we can debate all kinds of things for hours on end. We can make a point that some people won't follow the rules even when there are rules. And that may be true. But it is impossible to enforce rules that don't exist.

The first step in fixing this problem is to find out if there are written rules that cover this. If there are not, then the first step needs to be to have some written rules that a staff member can point to when trying to enforce them.

As far as making people obey the rules, that would be up to staff members. If a person becomes uncooperative or belligerent or threatening, then it would be time to get the police involved. Isn't that how most rules are enforced?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.