View Single Post

Old 04-02-2015, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gawdun View Post
Lawn services rarely clean the bottom of the mowers. Moving quickly from lawn to lawn will cause cross contamination from different grasses and weeds.
Which I have always understood to be a good thing. Maybe things a different here in the south, but up north I learned that it was best to have a blend of different grasses. There are some diseases that attack only certain strain of grasses. By having different types of grass, if these diseases strike, you don't lose your entire lawn.

And people should make sure that they know what they're talking about when discussing types of grass. Most of our golf courses down here are Bermuda grass from tee to green including the green. It's an excellent grass to have for lawns. Of course there are several different types of Bermuda grass as there are several different types of almost every strain and they can be very different. St Augustines bent grass that we have here is very different from the typical bent grasses that are used for greens up north. There is a huge difference between red fescue and tall fescue. Red fescue is one of the best grasses for golf course playing surfaces. You'd want to keep your ball out of the tall fescue however.
I'm not a turfgrass expert, but I have work with many turfgrass experts and know that the subject is far more complex than most people realize.
Are you aware that there is an entire department at The University of Massachusetts School of Agronomy dedicated to turgrasses?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.