View Single Post

Old 04-19-2017, 07:58 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
I think that it starts with the politicians at the top. Instead of simply agreeing that we have differences, politicians attach motives to the other side.

This has been going on for decades and the more it was done, the more the people actually believed what they were saying.

Paul Ryan made a wonderful speech after the police officers were gunned down in Dallas last year. This represents the way that we should be thinking of each other and our opposition.

Here's the speech.

I think that unfortunately most people running for office, don't believe that this kind of attitude will help the get elected and they may be right. When Bob Dole was running against Bill Clinton, he said, "He is not my enemy, he is my opponent." When John McCain ran against President Obama, he said, "We shouldn't be afraid if Obama wins. He's a good man."

Both of these people lost and most candidates who take this kind of attitude toward their opponents also lose.

The problem is that most of the politicians understand that this is just politics and they are friendly afterward. Look at the nice things that President Trump said about Hillary at his inauguration luncheon.

Most of the people actually believe that the opposition party are enemies of the country.

I don't have an answer as to how to stop it. I only fear that it is going to get worse.
Good post. Thank you. And I agree that partisanship is probably going to get even worse. I think term limits and laws to reduce the influx of so much money into the electoral process might help.