View Single Post

Old 06-28-2020, 01:02 PM
Veteran member

The best hot dogs in The Villages are to be found at anybody in the know who goes to the "Koegels on the Road" events (usually twice a year) and buys Koegels Viennas in Natural Casings and hustles them home and throws them on the grill. This is a Michigan-based processed meat company who is so beloved by native Michiganders (myself included) that they would often pay more for shipping and handling than for the hot dogs themselves to by them by mail. Koegels wised up and started sending semi-trucks down to cities up and down the eastern seaboard to sell them at these events.

Michigan has its faults (the horrendous condition of the roads being WAY up there on the list) but they allegedly have the highest standards for processed meats in the country. Hot dogs made there are just better and Koegels is the best of the best. Now, I am obviously biased, but I've introduced several of our neighbors and friends (who are NOT from Michigan) to them and several of them now buy from the road events and say they are the best hot dogs they've ever tasted.

Now, if you just can't get Koegels, the guy that sells them in front of Home Depot (not sure if he's doing it anymore) has some decent dogs and some pretty good Coney sauce (essentially a chili sauce) on them.