View Single Post

Old 09-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Sage

Don't claim that "You keep these people poor ... ". I am not keeping anyone poor. You, of course, fail to point out that 2% make minimum wage and that people move up and down in economic classes throught their life. I started out pretty much destitute when I was young but I didn't stay there for long. Many, not all, who are stuck in the lowest economic classes are there because of bad decisions they made. Do you want to avoid being poor? Finish high school, get a job, and don't have children before you are married. Marriage does wonders for your financial prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
As long as states are allowed to mandate a $7.25/hour minimum wage, the economy will be horrible.

Not everyone is destined to earn a 6-figure salary. SOMEONE has to bag your groceries. SOMEONE has to give you forms to fill out at the doctor's office. SOMEONE has to dry-clean your suit. SOMEONE has to groom your cat. SOMEONE has to polish your nails. SOMEONE has to pick the tomatoes off the vine, and SOMEONE has to stock them in the bins at the supermarket.

Those are all minimum wage jobs. Jobs that are necessary for "those with means" to be able to enjoy the life to which they have become accustomed.

When those employees are earning less than $200 per week and have to rely on themselves and spouse who also earns less than $200 per week for all living expenses, including day-care for the kids, clothing, food, gas, rent (because who's going to give someone who only earns $200/week a mortgage to buy a home?)...

for those people the economy is not good. It's not even mediocre. There are millions of people across the country who are living below the poverty level, most of whom would love to be lawyers and doctors and famous hollywood actors and TV producers and therapists and engineers and architects.

But they can't afford school. They can't afford to take time off from work to attend classes, AND take time away from their kids to dedicate hours in class instruction - even if it's online.

You keep these people poor because you need them to be poor. And then you tell everyone how awesome the economy is.

The economy is not good. It's lousy. STOCKS are good. But stocks /= economy.

Last edited by biker1; 09-03-2020 at 11:39 AM.