View Single Post

Old 11-25-2020, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Turkey question: edible meat vs. total weight - General Discussion - Turkey - Chowhound.
My bird (a very large hen) weighed in frozen at 21.67 lbs.

I cooked this just for the meat, so once it was cooked, I put on my trusty, industrial, food-safe gloves and ripped the meat off while it was still reasonably hot (comes off MUCH easier that way).

I got 4 pounds, 5 oz. of breast meat and 3 lbs, 13 oz of dark meat (not completely dark, some of this was off the back, the wings, etc.)

So, the final tally: 8 lbs., 2 oz. cooked meat.

21.67*.49=$10.62 /8.125 lbs = which boils down to $1.31 per pound.

Maybe close to 40% of total weight
Thanks. I wasn't interested so much in the price per pound but how much meat we would have from an 8.65 lb turkey.

This works out to about 37%.

Sounds like about 3.4 pounds. Not expecting a lot of leftovers this year.

On a side note, it's interesting that a bird will yield more white meat than dark but white meat is more expensive. It's all about demand.

I lived in Manila for a year and the people there prefer dark meat which is more expensive than the white.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.