View Single Post

Old 12-27-2022, 05:39 AM
Veteran member

A lot of bad information in this thread.
For 1, if you are suffering, it’s your own fault. Everybody saw this coming. I got out last January when it was at its high. I hope this market crashes in 2023 because it’s going to be 1 heck of a buying opportunity later on. I do my own investing. If you are worried about riding the bad times out, you could have put trailing stop losses on your equities so if they go down X amount or X%, they would be sold. This takes the emotion out of buying and selling.
Or you could have sold everything.

As for the comment about all etfs being good or that’s all you need, is false. There are thousands of etfs and I bet right now most have fallen the same % as the market has. What is an etf but a collection of individual company stocks and the stock market is 10-30% down overall. Sure, there are some etfs making money because the company stocks that make up the etf are making money, but they are the minority.

This year, cash is king. I invested in 1 fund 2 different times this year and made close to 30% in 2 months each time then got out.

Some investors will tell you you can’t time the market which I agree. Like I said early on that I saw a disaster coming a year ago and acted on it. Now when things turn around, maybe the end of 2023 or maybe 2024, when I get back in, I will make a 30% or more profit instead of waiting for the market to make back 30% just to get even from the late 2021 highs.