View Single Post

Old 10-17-2023, 05:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,227 Times in 803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
I agree that the ratings are 4-6 shots too high.......the result being the handicaps here don't travel well............
That's ridiculous. The Rating at GV from the White Tees on Tally Ho/Fox Run is 65.3. Which means you need to shoot 7 Under Par to be "Scratch". Scratch is predicated on making Pars. Which means 36 Shots at GV are used to Putt. Leaving you only 29 shots to reach 18 Greens. Take out the Par 3's. You now have 25 Shots to reach 14 Greens (including Par 5's). You think the Rating should be 4-6 strokes lower? 20 Shots to reach 14 Greens (including 4 part 5's)? Good luck with that.

TV handicaps travel perfectly fine, if you play a golf course with similar length. If you play the "White Tees" at TV (5500 yards) & then go play El Campeon from the White Tees, you're going to be in trouble. EC plays about 6300 yards, at a Rating of over 71 from the White Tees.

Quote:
Once submitted to the State Golf Association is when it becomes political. They compare different course ratings and the courses they hold in high esteem will stay with a higher rating even though a team determined otherwise. Sad fact.

I had a course rated in Massachusetts, very high, but when it came back it was lowered. I was told it was lowered because it would be rated harder than The Country Club in Brookline. Politics at the State level.
That's mostly nonsense. There are plenty of courses in MA, rated harder than TCC. Also, the TCC layout changes for different tournaments. The US Am played a significantly different course than was played at the US Open.

Quote:
With the length of the courses in TV, with the very wide fairways, with the bunkers in the fairway really out of play, with the green side bunkers being minimal and not severe, and the greens being fairly flat with little or no slopes and the green speed usually being medium, the course should be rated lower. Again I would say 4-5 shots.
Here's a link to every course rating in the US. See how many 5500 yard courses you can find, with Ratings 4-5 shots lower than TV Ratings. https://ncrdb.usga.org/