View Single Post

Old 10-17-2023, 06:56 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,315 Times in 547 Posts
Default Having fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSpasm View Post
Based on my experiences with going outside the bubble with Villages handicaps, they don't hold up in the outside world. If you go to courses like Mission Inn, Black Bear, or CC of Mount Dora, you are not going to score like you can here.

With regard to the complaint that shooting par from the white tees still makes you an 8 handicap, that's because of the lack of length. There has to be a way to differentiate a guy who shoots 72 from 5600 yards from one who shoots 72 from 7000 yards.

Full Disclosure, I'm a 9.4 handicap index, historically play from the blues but they're getting too long for me to have fun, playing more whites now.
Golf, especially at our age, should be fun. To play a game that isn’t fun doesn’t make any sense to me. If you play an executive course and it’s par 29 and you shoot 31 or 32 you are having fun. If you never played golf before retiring and you shoot 37 or 38 you are still having fun. If you shoot 27 on the same course you are ecstatic! At my age I could care less about having an official handicap.