View Single Post

Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Boycotts have worked in the past. The one that comes to mind in the recent past was a boycott against Arizona because of it's "papers please" law.

First conventions are canceled, then people change their vacation destinations, then companies change their relocation plans, and on and on. When states get hit in the pocketbook, they might rethink their laws.

These entertainers are using the only platform they have to draw attention to a cause they consider important.
Well said. I suspect many that don't like entertainers protesting against Stand Your Ground, had no trouble with Ronald Reagan running for President, or Charleton Heston being president of NRA, Gary Sinese campaigning for John McCain, etc.

We had Pete Seeger protesting in favor of international disarmament and environmental causes; Joan Baez used her celebrity to help the civil rights movement; Phil Ochs sang against the Vietnam war; Woody Guthrie's songs about the working man and the Dust Bowl are part of our American heritage.

In 1985, Stevie Wonder dedicated an Academy Award to then-imprisoned icon Nelson Mandela, who was jailed during the country's apartheid regime. Rich many times over, if Stevie chooses not to play in states that have laws he doesn't agree with, I imagine he can afford it. And if conservative Villagers don't buy or listen to his music, he could care less. He is being true to his beliefs, and I respect him for that.

Last edited by Moderator; 07-22-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: edited out political references