View Single Post

Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

According to the article, when a sale takes place because of a legal action the community rules do not have to be followed. As it also states 20% of the homes do not have to have an occupant over the age of 55. I don't believe that our rules stipulate who may own a home here, only who can occupy it.

I believe that anyone in The Villages can sell their home to whoever they want as long as we are still under the 20% cap. There are many homes here that are occupied by people under age 55. In fact, if you do the math you'll find that only about 20% of the residents here would need to be over 55.

To make things simple, I'll round off the numbers. Assuming that there are 60,000 homes, we could have an average of four people living in each home for a total of 240,000 residents. Only 80% of those homes would have to have ONE PERSON over the age of 55 for the community to fall under the guidelines. All the rest, including spouses, adult children and whoever could be under 55 and we'd still qualify under the guidelines. That would be 48,000 residents out of 240,000 or 20%. These are rough figures so please don't nit pick them. Just think of it this way. If you are over 55 and your spouse is under 55, you could live here with your two adult children. That would be one in four in your house. And yes, the scenario is highly unlikely. It just represents the extreme case.

Now, the problem I see in the story linked to the OP is that these people had children under the age of 19. The article doesn't mention whether the condo association has any rules about minor children living with parents. I'm not sure how that might work here in The Villages. It could be that the couple may be told that the children are not allowed to live there.

Other questions arise as well. Can I rent my house out to an under 55 couple if we are at or over the 20%? Does anyone know the exact wording of this law?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.