PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Great corned beef and cabbage?

nONIE
03-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Were looking for the best Irish cooking in TV for St. Patty's day. Any recommendations?

chelsea24
03-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Nonie, take it from me. I'm Irish. The Irish are not know for their wonderful cooking -- at least not in my family! lol You have the unique posts, sistah! :-* ;D

nONIE
03-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Well then, were not comming to your house for corned beef & cabbage! LOL 1rnfl

jadebox
03-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I love to cook Corned Beef and cabbage. So easy and good. Put your corned beef in a large pot and cover with water. Put in the spices from the bag that comes with the meat. Cook it for 2 hours-or check the package for time--but around 2 hours is good. Add red potatos -- small whole or halfed if larger. Add carrots and cook until nearly done. Add cabbage and cook until done how you like it. Nothing fancy but friends and family keep coming back for more.

golfnut
03-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Sounds perfect hope all we need is an address and what time you want us to show up.

jadebox
03-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Sounds perfect hope all we need is an address and what time you want us to show up.

One of these days I may do that but right now is visitors time in TV. As soon as they all clear out we shall see.

nONIE
03-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Hop2forever,

Thanks for the easy and delicious receipe! Altho cooking is not my fortay, I have done this and your right it is delicious! But this time looking for a resteraunt who will do it for me! No muss no fuss just eat and leave. ;D

Hyacinth Bucket
03-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Hope, what cut of cabbage do you use? When we were home, I went to a meat market that made there own corned beef. Are all brands equal?

Thanks,

Hyacinth Bucket

zcaveman
03-08-2008, 02:56 AM
I was raised in Jax, Fl and corned beef and cabbage was not a big thing. I moved to NJ and learned how to enjoy and actually cook corned beef and cabbage. Up there, the grocery stores had specials on corned beef ($1.49 a lb) and cabbage ($.09 a head). Here it is $2.49 for the corned beef (limited quantities) and cabbage is the same price as when you want to make cole slaw.

Good luck on finding a place that will make a good corned beef and cabbage dinner.

I mane my own and eat at home. The wife hates the cabbage part so that is cooked in a separate pot. But I get it all!!

Z

Hyacinth Bucket
03-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Z are we invited over. I also like cabbage.

Are you serious about the price of corned beef you posted?

HB

zcaveman
03-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Z are we invited over. I also like cabbage.

Are you serious about the price of corned beef you posted?

HB

I paid $2.79 a lb for a nice lean one at Publix's yesterday. I don't think they go down that much next Wednesday.

Mikitv
03-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Learn to cook corned beef from my dad and it is very easy. Just boil it and I usually use onions, carrots, potatoes and cabbage. Some come with seasoning pack or have instructions on the package. Just remember not too much salt because the corned beef is pretty salty on it's own.

Boomer
03-08-2008, 09:16 PM
We are kind of stuck at home today as a result of the blizzard wannabe that passed this way. The weather and reading this corned beef and cabbage topic have made my thoughts turn to cooking.

I have never tried to cook corned beef and cabbage. I am not the most confident of cooks so when trying something new I always need a fairly detailed recipe. --so I started Googling around in search of one and came up with this link. I don't think that I have ever seen such a detailed recipe for anything. Maybe this is one of those "Be careful what you wish (Google) for, you just might get it" moments.

http://www.recipezaar.com/15846

As soon as I can mush out of here, I am going to go get the ingredients. But I think I may have to study this recipe for a couple of days at least.

Thank you for starting this topic. We really like corned beef and cabbage but have never made it ourselves. This will also give Mr. Boomer the opportunity to get in touch with his Irish roots.

zcaveman
03-09-2008, 08:13 PM
The biggest thing with corned beef is to make sure you cut it across the grain otherwise it is stringy.

The Great Fumar
03-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Last year several restaurants had CORN BEEF AND CABBAGE specials for the day ........they were also serving it with EGG NOG which I don't understand????
But I believe in WEARIN OF THE GREEN......

fumar with pointed shoes

Hyacinth Bucket
03-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Fumar was the eggnog green? Did they spike it with Baileys Irish Cream?

There is always Midori which is green or a grass hopper.

I think for a fabulous St. Patty's dinner, if you serve enough Irish Whisky (the kind without the e), spiked eggnog, or drinks that are green, nobody will notice or care how you slice the corned beef.

IMHO

HB

The Great Fumar
03-09-2008, 09:14 PM
HB
That brings up a very interest point .....I had enough Baileys last year that I'm not sure I didn't eat a real grasshopper..... (fried of couse)

it tickled fumar

Rokinronda
03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
The recipe is just like mine. Passed down from the McD clan. I much prefer the ****ienelli and italian recipes in our family....If you have a gas grill I suggest cooking the pot o' gold outside. :yikes: :beer3: CABBAGE IS STINKY! :o Wearin of the GREEN is a must for ALL!! Happy St. Pats to all TOTV peeps. :beer2:

Hyacinth Bucket
03-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Great Fumar - having eaten fried grasshoppers, I prefer the alcoholic version of the grasshopper. I guess it is time to have one again, I can not remember when I had the last one.

HB