PDA

View Full Version : Should we pray for the wicked?

chachacha
09-07-2014, 07:32 PM
one of the readings this week is haunting me, about how it is our responsibility to warn the wicked of their sin or else we also are responsible. i think there is enough publicity against ISIS etc so that they must know all Christians believe they are wrong, but what can each of us individually do to show them how wrong they are? i think praying for the conversion of their souls, minds and hearts is the only thing within our power....what do you believe?

folkh
09-07-2014, 08:27 PM
one of the readings this week is haunting me, about how it is our responsibility to warn the wicked of their sin or else we also are responsible. i think there is enough publicity against ISIS etc so that they must know all Christians believe they are wrong, but what can each of us individually do to show them how wrong they are? i think praying for the conversion of their souls, minds and hearts is the only thing within our power....what do you believe?

I agree, praying for them is the best thing for us to do. I don't believe they understand or even try or want to understand the western world. As we probably don't understand their beliefs. I also believe we need to pray for the families of the victims.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
09-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Makes more sense than praying for the good and for believers who are already saved. Why wouldn't you pray for those who are not saved?

Bonanza
09-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Praying for ISIS? Are you serious?

No, in the case of ISIS, the old saying, "action is stronger than words,"
is the only thing they will understand. They cannot be saved.

They are of a different culture -- one we will never understand.

Only through annihilation will the problem be solved. Period!

jblum315
09-08-2014, 02:43 AM
Praying for what? For people of a Stone Age culture to come around to a 21st century way of thinking? Ain't gonna happen. Their religion and beliefs much more pervasive than ours.

kittygilchrist
09-08-2014, 05:25 AM
I am in Israel. Yesterday, we were at the Golan Heights border with Syria, overlooking Quneitra, which is being overrun by rebels, . No one knows if they are ISIS but certainly Muslim.
I pray for the peace of Jerusalem and for grace of God to the Jews, and for persecuted Christians and Jews worldwide.
From Israel, I could hear the bombs, feel the vibrating earth, see the smoke rise, smell the smoke.

graciegirl
09-08-2014, 05:28 AM
I am in Israel. Yesterday, we were at the Golan Heights border with Syria, overlooking Quneitra, which is being overrun by rebels, . No one knows if they are ISIS but certainly Muslim.
I pray for the peace of Jerusalem and for grace of God to the Jews, and for persecuted Christians and Jews worldwide.
From Israel, I could hear the bombs, feel the vibrating earth, see the smoke rise, smell the smoke.

YOU ARE over there??????? I thought you were talking about a figurative journey when you mentioned it!!!

And on the subject of this thread. Most of us were taught as children to pray for those who wish to cause us harm.

pbkmaine
09-08-2014, 05:58 AM
"And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us."

asianthree
09-08-2014, 07:09 AM

Be safe kitty

chachacha
09-08-2014, 08:59 AM
yes, gracie....i always thought the scripture about praying for our enemies, thus pouring hot coals upon their heads, was a bit difficult to understand, but i have always prayed for those who did not like me or understand me, not to pour coals upon their heads but to help bring peace, which starts with each one of us after all.....i don't think anyone can be "saved" if they don't care about their fellow souls who are in darkness.

OBXNana
09-08-2014, 09:55 AM
I don't know if prayer will help the wicked, but do know if prayer will be therapeutic for the person saying the prayer, then by all means pray.

rubicon
09-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Pray for the wicked could include a whole lot of people including people who live in the USA. so there will be a whole lot of praying going on.

As to ISIS pray for them but don't do it in front of them or you will lose your head. Come to think of it if you are not of their persuasion you could lose your head anyway

NotGolfer
09-08-2014, 01:11 PM

WOW!!! I know of one group, for sure, whose over there right now! I've been there...would so love to return!! We too were in the Golan Heights...could see Syria on one side and Lebanon on the other. Had to go through check-points along the way! I'd love to return...maybe one day it will be possible!! It "is" a trip that is life-changing!

Pray!! Of course we're to pray, in fact I believe God has directed us to pray for our enemies. Only God can change their hearts!!! Their god (notice small "g") isn't the same God we worship. This is a battle between "Good" and evil!!

Taltarzac725
09-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Forgiveness-Not Necessarily What You Think (http://www.luke173ministries.org/466805)

I found this while searching. I have come up against some rather evil people in my life so I have thought about this on-and-off a lot.

sunnyatlast
09-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Jesus, while being crucified, asked our Father in heaven to forgive them in their ignorance. Jesus asked (in Gospel of John 17) that this death penalty and torture be taken from him, but in the end he asked for God's Will to be done.

It's hard to do, but we could ask God to turn the hearts of the wicked away from their evil, murderous ways, as He did do with Saul-Apostle Paul, who was rounding up Christians to be killed:

Acts 9
The Conversion of Saul
9 Now Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest,
2 and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
3 As he was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him;
4 and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?”
5 And he said, “Who are You, Lord?” And He said, “I am Jesus whom you are persecuting,
6 but get up and enter the city, and it will be told you what you must do.”
7 The men who traveled with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one.
8 Saul got up from the ground, and though his eyes were open, he could see nothing; and leading him by the hand, they brought him into Damascus.
9 And he was three days without sight, and neither ate nor drank…..

"….Now for several days he was with the disciples who were at Damascus,
20 and immediately he began to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, saying, “He is the Son of God.”
21 All those hearing him continued to be amazed, and were saying, “Is this not he who in Jerusalem destroyed those who called on this name, and who had come here for the purpose of bringing them bound before the chief priests?”

22 But Saul kept increasing in strength and confounding the Jews who lived at Damascus by proving that this Jesus is the Christ.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%209&version=NASB

The Crucifixion of Jesus
33 When they came to the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left.
34 But Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.”
And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves. 35 And the people stood by, looking on. And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, “He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen One.”
36 The soldiers also mocked Him, coming up to Him, offering Him sour wine, 37 and saying, “If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!”
38 Now there was also an inscription above Him, “THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.”

39 One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, “Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!”
40 But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation?
41 And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.”
42 And he was saying, “Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!”
43 And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2023&version=NASB

Sophie11
09-08-2014, 03:55 PM
We must pray for all our enemies because there is not one person I want to send to hell for eternity!

chachacha
09-08-2014, 07:02 PM
i agree with sophie11 and i do not accept the article about forgiving only those who repent! that is not what Jesus did, as the biblical post about the crucifixion pointed out.
that is not to say that i would not fight for my life or kill someone who was attacking me or my family! the difference is what is in my heart? i hope it is not hatred.

kcrazorbackfan
01-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Nope, I will not pray for the wicked, especially the terrorists hellbent on killing Americans, thugs and trash intent on killing Police Officers, ANYONE that has no goodness in their heart. There are too many good people and reasons to pray for - not the wicked.

graciegirl
01-04-2015, 05:37 PM
We were taught as young Catholics to pray for sinners and I still do, including myself.

The church says it this way;

Praying for Sinners

By praying for sinners or those who will die unprepared, you will be participating in the redemption of mankind and saving souls which are very precious to Jesus. Even if we find it difficult to comprehend or believe in the power of this intercessory prayer, we must act with faith and trust that Jesus will honour His promise to save the souls of those for whom these prayers are offered.

I say...it can't hurt.

KayakerNC
01-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Maybe a short bible verse printed on a missile carried by a drone. :boom:

TheVillageChicken
01-04-2015, 06:02 PM
If you want to pray for the wicked, may I suggest Psalm 58?