PDA

View Full Version : Political Section - Forum

TOTV Team
02-05-2015, 12:28 PM
If you did not see the February newsletter we have pasted the information regarding the reintroduction of the political forum below.

If you were opted in prior you should be able to now see the section. If you were not opted in prior, we will be updated you with the method on how to opt into this section soon.

If you did not receive February newsletter you can sign up by sending us your email to subscribe@totvnewsletter.com

Comcast has been blocking some of the users emails. So we are working with them to resolve.

We will also be putting up all prior issues where you can access them if you did not receive them.

Thanks for your support!

TOTV Team

Political Discussions

Last but not least. As we mentioned above we attribute our success in part in the feedback that you the user sends us on how we can make the site even better. In February you will see the re-introduction of our political section.

A quick overview of what to expect with this section.

Users will have to 'opt in' or 'opt out'. If you were already 'opted in' our political forums prior you will automatically be 'opted in' to the new one.
Posts will not display in 'New Posts'. You will have to go to the political forum to see the new posts.
This is a self-moderated area. Our rules and Terms of service still apply but you will not be able to click on 'report a post'. If there is an egregious action your account will simply be banned.
When posts are made in this section you will not see a user name displayed, but you will see 'Guest' displayed.
If a post is made in the general forums of the site and it is political or becomes political it will be automatically moved into the political section.

We don't expect this to satisfy every desire and wish that every user had. But we want to accommodate those who want to engage in political discussions while at the same time everyone maintains civility and respect in the forum and not putting any undo burden on our moderators. The more they have to moderate the less time to play golf right!

We will continue to 'refine' this area of the website and we will continue to listen to your feedback. But we hope this is a step in the right direction and creates a balance and safeguards to maintain respect and civility among members while discussing these topics.

buzzy
02-05-2015, 04:20 PM
I understand that I can opt-in but still not be bothered with new posts, unless I go to the political forum. So, I can just visit and lurk to see if it in interesting or annoying. If I don't like it, can I then opt-out later?

TOTV Team
02-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Yes that is correct.

Also we have the January and February issue of the newsletter at:

Talk of The Villages Newsletter (http://www.TOTVNewsletter.com)

redwitch
02-06-2015, 06:27 AM
Not sure why I want to go there but how in heck do I get to the political forum? I can't find a link. Thanks.

Abby10
02-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Not sure why I want to go there but how in heck do I get to the political forum? I can't find a link. Thanks.

Because you are someone who brings well thought-out and often times balanced discussion to a thread. We need you there, Red! :)

gomoho
02-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Redwitch - I don't think it's an option yet for those of us not opted in previously. I am also anxious to start reading the political threads in wondering how and when I can do so. Perhaps Admin will address this with something specific

rubicon
02-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Let me begin by saying thank you for re-opening this forum.

Prior to Admin's decision to remove the political forum I had opted in. If I understand the original post (OP) on this thread the political forum will be available to me without any need for action. If that is correct then I ask is the forum open now?

If I understand the OP also users will all be identified as "Guests" and not by their "username" If this is correct then I speculate the move is to prevent personally directed attacks on users. However another consideration is that previous experience with this forum demonstrated that many users developed a rhythmic relationship and/or a healthy point counterpoint one.

To be sure the forum moderators will be able to quickly weed out the recalcitrants. I encourage moderators to do so because if a user cannot intelligently explain or defend his/her position but instead resort to name calling then they have no benefit to this forum in the first place.

Personal Best Regards

outlaw
02-06-2015, 09:16 AM
How many people think there are too many liberals in TV? What, not yet? Oh, sorry. Never mind.

newguyintv
02-06-2015, 09:22 AM

Same question

billethkid
02-06-2015, 09:27 AM
my experience yesterday was that it was available for access for a time yesterday, with some few of us actaully posting in it. Then later in the day the access was gone.

I suspect there is some fine tuning at work.

Getting closer:clap2:

janmcn
02-06-2015, 09:35 AM

Go to the home page and scroll down Talk of The Villages forums to the bottom where you will find Political and click on.

Abby10
02-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Go to the home page and scroll down Talk of The Villages forums to the bottom where you will find Political and click on.

Not there for me. I think that may just be available for those who had opted in before. Is that what others are finding? I'm sure Admin will let us know when all is up and running, and when and how we can proceed - oldies and newbies alike.

TOTV Team
02-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Yes it is currently there for those who were prior opted in. We are in the process of implementing the opt in for those who were not.

Best Regards,

TOTV Team

justjim
02-06-2015, 09:44 AM
My thanks also to the Admininstration of TOTV for bringing back the Political Forum. It has been missed!

graciegirl
02-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Because none of us can be identified, only by guest, and a few of us have signed our user names, trying to keep track of the conversation, I am afraid that what happened on Topix will happen there and malcontents and plain cruel people will sign MY user name or YOUR user name. There is nothing to keep them from doing just that. Someone's reputation can be ruined in a minute and someone has been thrown off of TOTV more than ten times doing things just like that on Topix.

I don't think that everyone being guest is going to work.

AND although I posted yesterday, I will not post again. So if you read something with my name on it over in political, it isn't me. I will read, but I won't post.

Bucco
02-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Because none of us can be identified, only by guest, and a few of us have signed our user names, trying to keep track of the conversation, I am afraid that what happened on Topix will happen there and malcontents and plain cruel people will sign MY user name or YOUR user name. There is nothing to keep them from doing just that. Someone's reputation can be ruined in a minute and someone has been thrown off of TOTV more than ten times doing things just like that on Topix.

I don't think that everyone being guest is going to work.

AND although I posted yesterday, I will not post again. So if you read something with my name on it over in political, it isn't me. I will read, but I won't post.

To GRACIEs point...there are already two posts that are simply drive by trolls. You would think that on here, most would be adults, but guess that is asking a lot of adults to act as adults.

The posts are still there and Gracie is correct...that garbage pile called TOPIX exists this same way and many of your neighbors on here avail themselves of that place to bash posters from here.

I wrote to admin how they will "police" this area because what is beginning to happen is that if you disagee with a posters view point, you make immature remarks. Not sure what the intent is but that will grow over time in that the remarks will tend to get more personal. With no ability to report posts, it is a wide open area for these childish trolls.

redwitch
02-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Guess I opted out of the old forum, although I don't remember doing so.

I have to admit that just guests is worrisome to me. It is an open invite for trolls and, sadly, the bullies here (and, yes, Virginia, there are some here). I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Bucco
02-06-2015, 10:23 AM
For general information...

There is a post by ADMIN in political stating the use of GUEST is on a test basis and if it needs to be changed, they will change it.

Also states the reason for the GUEST postings, which is very depressing in that why do adults act like children and thus cause grief to others who are charged with keeping any forum or anyTHING a place where ADULTS can go ?

tomwed
02-06-2015, 10:26 AM
How about 2 political forums, one that leans to the left and one that leans to the right.

And suppose:
You could only be in one and not the other.
And you couldn't lurk.
And you couldn't go back and change your mind.

So you would have to ask yourself "Do I want to be with like minded people or do I want to be with people who have opposing views?"

I know my answer.
This is a hypothetical.

Bogie Shooter
02-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Will the new political forum last 6 months?

TOTV Team
02-06-2015, 10:40 AM
If someone makes a post and signs it with someone else's name to disparage them it would be an instant ban. Topix doesn't ban anyone.

It's not that we couldn't see who made the post.

Why don't we try it and if we need to make changes we can.

Thanks in advance,

TOTV Team

TOTV Team
02-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Everyone should be able to see the political forum at the bottom of the first section on the home page. If you cannot please notify us.

Best Regards,

TOTV Team