Political Section - Forum

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Default Political Section - Forum

If you did not see the February newsletter we have pasted the information regarding the reintroduction of the political forum below.

If you were opted in prior you should be able to now see the section. If you were not opted in prior, we will be updated you with the method on how to opt into this section soon.

If you did not receive February newsletter you can sign up by sending us your email to subscribe@totvnewsletter.com

Comcast has been blocking some of the users emails. So we are working with them to resolve.

We will also be putting up all prior issues where you can access them if you did not receive them.

Thanks for your support!

TOTV Team

Political Discussions

Last but not least. As we mentioned above we attribute our success in part in the feedback that you the user sends us on how we can make the site even better. In February you will see the re-introduction of our political section.

A quick overview of what to expect with this section.

Users will have to 'opt in' or 'opt out'. If you were already 'opted in' our political forums prior you will automatically be 'opted in' to the new one.
Posts will not display in 'New Posts'. You will have to go to the political forum to see the new posts.
This is a self-moderated area. Our rules and Terms of service still apply but you will not be able to click on 'report a post'. If there is an egregious action your account will simply be banned.
When posts are made in this section you will not see a user name displayed, but you will see 'Guest' displayed.
If a post is made in the general forums of the site and it is political or becomes political it will be automatically moved into the political section.

We don't expect this to satisfy every desire and wish that every user had. But we want to accommodate those who want to engage in political discussions while at the same time everyone maintains civility and respect in the forum and not putting any undo burden on our moderators. The more they have to moderate the less time to play golf right!

We will continue to 'refine' this area of the website and we will continue to listen to your feedback. But we hope this is a step in the right direction and creates a balance and safeguards to maintain respect and civility among members while discussing these topics.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Gold member

I understand that I can opt-in but still not be bothered with new posts, unless I go to the political forum. So, I can just visit and lurk to see if it in interesting or annoying. If I don't like it, can I then opt-out later?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Yes that is correct.

Also we have the January and February issue of the newsletter at:

Talk of The Villages Newsletter
Old 02-06-2015, 06:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Not sure why I want to go there but how in heck do I get to the political forum? I can't find a link. Thanks.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Not sure why I want to go there but how in heck do I get to the political forum? I can't find a link. Thanks.
Because you are someone who brings well thought-out and often times balanced discussion to a thread. We need you there, Red!
Old 02-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Sage

Redwitch - I don't think it's an option yet for those of us not opted in previously. I am also anxious to start reading the political threads in wondering how and when I can do so. Perhaps Admin will address this with something specific
Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Let me begin by saying thank you for re-opening this forum.

Prior to Admin's decision to remove the political forum I had opted in. If I understand the original post (OP) on this thread the political forum will be available to me without any need for action. If that is correct then I ask is the forum open now?

If I understand the OP also users will all be identified as "Guests" and not by their "username" If this is correct then I speculate the move is to prevent personally directed attacks on users. However another consideration is that previous experience with this forum demonstrated that many users developed a rhythmic relationship and/or a healthy point counterpoint one.

To be sure the forum moderators will be able to quickly weed out the recalcitrants. I encourage moderators to do so because if a user cannot intelligently explain or defend his/her position but instead resort to name calling then they have no benefit to this forum in the first place.

Personal Best Regards
Old 02-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

How many people think there are too many liberals in TV? What, not yet? Oh, sorry. Never mind.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Same question
Old 02-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

my experience yesterday was that it was available for access for a time yesterday, with some few of us actaully posting in it. Then later in the day the access was gone.

I suspect there is some fine tuning at work.

Getting closer
Old 02-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Sage
Quote:
Go to the home page and scroll down Talk of The Villages forums to the bottom where you will find Political and click on.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Go to the home page and scroll down Talk of The Villages forums to the bottom where you will find Political and click on.
Not there for me. I think that may just be available for those who had opted in before. Is that what others are finding? I'm sure Admin will let us know when all is up and running, and when and how we can proceed - oldies and newbies alike.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Yes it is currently there for those who were prior opted in. We are in the process of implementing the opt in for those who were not.

Best Regards,

TOTV Team
Old 02-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

My thanks also to the Admininstration of TOTV for bringing back the Political Forum. It has been missed!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Because none of us can be identified, only by guest, and a few of us have signed our user names, trying to keep track of the conversation, I am afraid that what happened on Topix will happen there and malcontents and plain cruel people will sign MY user name or YOUR user name. There is nothing to keep them from doing just that. Someone's reputation can be ruined in a minute and someone has been thrown off of TOTV more than ten times doing things just like that on Topix.

I don't think that everyone being guest is going to work.

AND although I posted yesterday, I will not post again. So if you read something with my name on it over in political, it isn't me. I will read, but I won't post.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.