PDA

View Full Version : golf cart garage?

interested
10-21-2008, 04:36 PM
We are hoping to move to TV next summer and are trying to understand the needs of the garage. Our realtor said that most people find one car and two golf carts works best. Do you agree? Also, what about parking. Does a regualr garage suffice, an extended garage or is a golf cart garage a really good idea and worth the cost?

dgammon6
10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Our sales person told us the golf cart garage was a 10,000 dollar add on. To us it was well worth it.

jeffy
10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
If I could ad one thing to my villages home it would be a golf cart garage. Unfortunately we do not have the ground. A neighbor just added one to his home and it cost him 16000.

jeffy

Lone Traveller
10-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Is a golf cart garage a necessity if you have a car port?

rshoffer
10-22-2008, 09:16 AM
The BIGGEST mistake we made was buying a home without a golf cart garage. Since we both still work part time we need 2 cars. Now one always sits outside. There are no carports in TV except in the historic section.

chuckinca
10-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Is a golf cart garage a necessity if you have a car port?

In the historic section, in addition to the carport there is usually an attached shed (with no central air or heat)that is the laundry room, storage room and golf cart garage.

SteveFromNY
10-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Our sales person told us the golf cart garage was a 10,000 dollar add on. To us it was well worth it.

The garage itself may cost upwards of $10K to put in, but remember too that there is additional cost of a larger lot. A "standard" lot won't hold much more than just a house. So you may have another $10K to buy a house on a lot large enough to fit the extra 10 or so feet of width you need for the garage addition.

Honestly, it is the one option I should have gone for up front.

gnu
10-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know if there is acceptance of using a golf car garage for a home work shop? I love my home work shop and I do make a fair amount of noise with my equipment

Bogie Shooter
10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
I go to a lot of garage sales. I see many workshops. Probably would not be a problem, unless you to woodworking at 2Am.
BTW there is an excellant Villages woodworking shop on Rolling Acres Road.

rshoffer
10-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know if there is acceptance of using a golf car garage for a home work shop? I love my home work shop and I do make a fair amount of noise with my equipment The restrictions would be no different than the rest of the garage...

MSNPA
10-22-2008, 04:22 PM
I said it before on this site and I will say it again - if you have two cars get a house with a golf cart garage. We did not and we are so sorry we did not plan better. We have a designer home with a good size garage. We are able to fit two cars, one golf cart and one motorcycle, however there is not any extra space and everything is tight. We always need to jockey the vehicles around when we need to move one. I do not think anyone would be sorry by having a golf cart garage. We would love the extra space.

MMC24
10-22-2008, 07:22 PM
In my opinion, our golf cart garage is an absolute necessity. We have one car (used occasionally) and two golf carts. Both carts are electric. We use the carts for our primary mode of transportation. We bought our home with the golf cart garage with the intention of owning only one cart and two cars. We soon realized that we needed another cart and one less car. Sold the car and purchased another cart. We play golf 2/3 times a week and go to the squares for dancing 2/4 nights a week, do our shopping, go to restaurants and do errands, so they get lots of use.

Lone Traveller
10-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Maybe I’m a little or lot slow today so let me clarify my question so you can give a answer even I will understand. If you live in the older part of the Villages where car ports are allowed, and you don’t own a car do you need a golf cart garage?

Sometime I feel like an old Jethro Tull album – Thick as a Brick.

rshoffer
10-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Maybe I’m a little or lot slow today so let me clarify my question so you can give a answer even I will understand. If you live in the older part of the Villages where car ports are allowed, and you don’t own a car do you need a golf cart garage?

Sometime I feel like an old Jethro Tull album – Thick as a Brick.No, many people simply keep their cart under the carport.

Lone Traveller
10-23-2008, 12:28 PM
rshoffer, thanks, that an answer even I can uderstand.

rshoffer
10-23-2008, 12:43 PM
If you're thinking about buying a home in "the historic section" you might want to come down and rent there for a few months. I work nearby and often stroll through there over lunch. It's a charming neighborhood albeit decades older than the new parts of TV. I am always impresed at how tidy and neat most of the properties are. The Orange Blossom pool is incredible... lotsa fun... like a Carribbean resort. You will be real close to Spanish Springs town square.

chuckinca
10-23-2008, 02:54 PM
No, many people simply keep their cart under the carport.

That is true; however, these people usually have an attached shed where their cart is garaged when they want it under lock and key.

Also, for info only, approximately 10% of homes in the history section are "site built" and usually have two car garages and no carports. The homes with carports are "manufactured homes" and usually don't have a garage but have an attached shed for laundry, storage and golf cart safekeeping.

chuckinca
10-23-2008, 02:59 PM
If you're thinking about buying a home in "the historic section" you might want to come down and rent there for a few months. I work nearby and often stroll through there over lunch. It's a charming neighborhood albeit decades older than the new parts of TV. I am always impresed at how tidy and neat most of the properties are. The Orange Blossom pool is incredible... lotsa fun... like a Carribbean resort. You will be real close to Spanish Springs town square.

I like the Pink Plastic Flamingos in the front yards, along with other varied statuary. Makes it more like a traditional Florida retirement community.

rshoffer
10-23-2008, 03:28 PM
I like the Pink Plastic Flamingos in the front yards, along with other varied statuary. Makes it more like a traditional Florida retirement community.

.yep... it's different. The cool thing is the residents share the same amenities as the owners of the million dollar premiers. Only in America.

chuckinca
10-23-2008, 03:32 PM
And the Million Dollar Premier owners wish they were closer to the Tiki Bar.