PDA

View Full Version : Foreign food & tough corn!

ConeyIsBabe
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Corn from Mexico, cantalope from guatemala or chile, avocados from Mexico, grapes from chile..................... Against my better judgement I purchased a 4-pack of corn on the cob ($5), from Mexico; cooked it the way I always do........ cover with cold water, bring to a boil, let sit for 15 minlutes. IT WAS TOO TOUGH to chew ....... so I put it back in the pot and boiled it for another 10 minlutes.

I would hate to throw it out and waste food! Any ideas of what to do with it? make soup? what else:shrug:

I can't hardly wait until summer so I can get some local fruits & veggies and California grown produce!! (Sorry, just ranting!)

chuckinca
02-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Most CA grown produce is grown by people from Mexico.

ConeyIsBabe
02-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Most CA grown produce is grown by people from Mexico.

I'm not ranting about the people who grow the produce - ..... I'm frustrated with the QUALITY of the produce !! Tough corn ! Cantelope that tasts like absolutely nothing. Grapes that are bitter and not sweet! ETC.

I'd like to think that California grown produce has some quality control, some laws about the kind of pesticide, :shrug: I know my local organic farmers sell excellent produce in the summer & fall.

All that produce shipped from "wherever" is probably picked green, and maybe that's why it is tasteless. My local produce (including from CA) just has that fresh, sweet taste that only vine-ripe fruit has.

Shirleevee
02-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Don't move back to New York...........at summer peak, we get lousy fruit from California.........I guess it's picked green for shipping. I haven't had a cantaloupe or honeydew melon worth its cost in twenty years. We go to NJ where there are still some farms.

barb1191
02-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Yes, I agree that the produce is something less desirable.

Not that this may help your tough corn situation, however would like to share another method of cooking corn on the cob that you may want to try sometime.

Try the microwave; the corn comes out ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!! The flavor has not been compromised by boiling in water and it's just as tender and sweet as can be.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1850,158185-243196,00.html

Bon Apetit

ConeyIsBabe
02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Yes, I agree that the produce is something less desirable.

Not that this may help your tough corn situation, however would like to share another method of cooking corn on the cob that you may want to try sometime.

Try the microwave; the corn comes out ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!! The flavor has not been compromised by boiling in water and it's just as tender and sweet as can be.

Bon Apetit

Yes, barb...... I have microwaved corn in the past and it did come out good.

This time - I think the corn I cooked in the pot was just OLD!!!! Even boiling it more, did nothing to make it tender. Maybe tomorrow I'll throw it in the blender with some chicken broth & make soup :shrug:

When it comes to corn, I'm a bit spoiled...... cuz there are a couple of corn farms nearby that sell their crop, hours from being picked, tender and sweet as sugar! I guess I'll have to wait 'till spring for the farm market to open.

graciegirl
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
The corn was old. You are just exactly right. My father claimed that unless you went out into a the field (preferably Ohio) and picked the corn and cooked it the same day, it wasn't fit to eat. lol.

renielarson
02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't know about where you are but here in Michigan IT'S WINTER and not the time of year to buy corn on the cob. We only buy it when it's in season.

chuckinca
02-26-2009, 10:11 PM
GG:

Ur dad was right on - except it should be Illinois corn.

Halle
02-27-2009, 10:56 AM
GG:

Ur dad was right on - except it should be Illinois corn.

You are both wrong it should be Nebraska corn!

:pepper2: