PDA

View Full Version : Italian Cooking Question

Hawkwind
08-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Anyone have any idea as to what erb or spice is put in the bread at Red Sauce? There is an Italian name for that bread and would like to try making it here at home (bread machine). The bread was great. Thanks.

aln
08-05-2009, 09:17 PM
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Focaccia-Bread/Detail.aspx

Hawkwind
08-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks aln. I believe it is the thyme that gave the bread it's great taste. I believe that Focaccia is what the waitress said it was called but I did not write it down and I could not remember it. Thanks again.

KathieI
08-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Hawk, it could be thyme but it also could be rosemary. I'll ask when I'm there on Saturday. I'll pm you when I find out.

Shirleevee
08-05-2009, 11:35 PM
It is USUALLY Rosemary Foccocia.....if not fresh, moisten it in olive oil first.

The ex- bread baker

Hawkwind
08-06-2009, 05:43 AM
Hawk, it could be thyme but it also could be rosemary. I'll ask when I'm there on Saturday. I'll pm you when I find out.

Thanks KathI. The waitress told me what was used but you know that old age memory thing.

JeanneBeannie
08-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Now I am hungry hehe! Love foccocia bread! I recenlty had it as a pizza and it was delish!! Altho I put my double bread machine maker in my "donate box" yesterday, I guess I will get mine in "Red Sauce". I love italian food!!! :icon_hungry:.

tony
08-06-2009, 06:05 AM
And by the way, you will notice that the restaurant is not named Red Gravy.

:duck:

Russ_Boston
08-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Since you started it (again) Tony.

From Dictionary.com: Gravy - the fat and juices that drip from cooking meat, often thickened, seasoned, flavored, etc., and used as a sauce for meat, potatoes, rice, etc.

So if the sauce (all gravies are sauces) is made from drippings of meat (like many of us make our homemade pasta sauce from) then we can call it a gravy. If you make it from just crushed tomatoes and herbs, oil etc. then it is just a sauce and not a gravy.

So if you want to be factually incorrect about what YOU call something then you have that right. My homemade Italian sauce can also be referred to as a gravy since I start by browning the meat and using the drippings.

graciegirl
08-06-2009, 06:37 AM
It is USUALLY Rosemary Foccocia.....if not fresh, moisten it in olive oil first.

The ex- bread baker

Thanks Shirleevee!

Another thing about The Villages, you get some great new information. I did not grow up in an Italian community, but a German one. We put Rosemary on lamb, but I too am not familiar with a lot of spices used by Italian cooks. What three spices would you put in spaghetti sauce, Shirl? Do you put a bit of sugar in it too?

Shirleevee
08-06-2009, 08:31 AM
And by the way, you will notice that the restaurant is not named Red Gravy.

:duck:

Do you think if I asked they would call it Red Sauce for half a year and Red Gravy the other half.......? Help Kathie methinks we are outnumbered! Helene stay away.........lol

Shirleevee
08-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks Shirleevee!

Another thing about The Villages, you get some great new information. I did not grow up in an Italian community, but a German one. We put Rosemary on lamb, but I too am not familiar with a lot of spices used by Italian cooks. What three spices would you put in spaghetti sauce, Shirl? Do you put a bit of sugar in it too?

I use Rosemary & garlic on lamb. I NEVER add sugar to my Sunday Gravy. Garlic, onions parsley & basil.........In Marinara I add oregano. There are many differing variations....it all depends on where you live.

Shirleevee
08-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Since you started it (again) Tony.

From Dictionary.com: Gravy - the fat and juices that drip from cooking meat, often thickened, seasoned, flavored, etc., and used as a sauce for meat, potatoes, rice, etc.

So if the sauce (all gravies are sauces) is made from drippings of meat (like many of us make our homemade pasta sauce from) then we can call it a gravy. If you make it from just crushed tomatoes and herbs, oil etc. then it is just a sauce and not a gravy.

So if you want to be factually incorrect about what YOU call something then you have that right. My homemade Italian sauce can also be referred to as a gravy since I start by browning the meat and using the drippings.

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/food-cooking-questions-discussion/8098-gravy-sauce.html

KathieI
08-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Do you think if I asked they would call it Red Sauce for half a year and Red Gravy the other half.......? Help Kathie methinks we are outnumbered! Helene stay away.........lol

Truthfully Shirl, I'm not caring this morning whether its Red Sauce or Red Gravy but I do know that they have the greatest karaoke on Wed and Sat nights. Dancing in the streets and some of the greatest karaoke singers we have ever heard, and the best DJ in all of TV (Patrick, I love youuuuuuuu)...... Can't wait till you get here next week, guess where we are going on Wed night.???

BTW, sometimes I do put a tablespoon of sugar in my gravy depending on the type of tomatoes I'm using. Adding ingredients and spices into Italian cooking is decided by the taste as your cooking, every good Italian cook tastes her food so much that she's not hungry when its time to eat.. LOL...

Helene2008
08-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Oh you know I wouldn't miss this one Shirlee.....LOL.....Thanks Tony for pointing out it is Red Sauce....the correct name.