Absolutely, St. Timothy's in Spanish Springs

Bogie Shooter
08-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Is there a Catholic church in TV

When are masses, if you know.

Where is it, if you know.

Thanks

Yoda
So, here is what I did. Went to Google.com, clicked advanced search, entered Catholic church the villages, florida and here is what I got:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_q=catholic+church+the+villages+florida&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

Enjoy!

mitchbr47
08-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Is there a Catholic church in TV

When are masses, if you know.

Where is it, if you know.

Thanks

Yoda
There are 3 churches. Masses vary based on the season with more added in the winter.
St Timothy http://www.sttimothycc.com/
St Mark the Evangelist http://stmarkrcc.com/
St Vincent de Paul http://www.sumtercatholic.org/

graciegirl
08-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Someone told me that St. Timothy's is the largest parish in Florida.

chuckinca
08-08-2009, 11:30 PM
The nearest rival in size is St Peter's.

johnfarr
08-09-2009, 07:04 AM
St Timothy has a large parish. It was the first Catholic Church built to handle the growth of The Villages. It started as a Church hall, which was quickly outgrown. Then a beautiful 1,100 (I think) seat church was built, complete with golf cart parking. The new Church was again quickly outgrown and the St Timothy congregation put aside funds for another "Mission Church" in the northern end of the Villages. Thus St Mark came about with a 660 seat Hall, built by the parishioners of St Timothy. Now the Hall at St Mark hall has been outgrown and the St Mark parishioners have already raised the funds to build an enormous 1,500+ Church adjacent to the Hall. Construction is well underway, with dedication planned for this December.

St Vincent dePaul originally planned a 1,700 seat Church, to be the largest in the Orlando Diocese, to handle the growth in the southern end of The Villages. That plan is on hold for now, but the growth there will soon force some sort of action by the diocese.

Hope that helps!

The Mass Schedules are in the URLs above.

I attend St Mark, even though I live closer to the other two. It is a very friendly place and the Pauline Fathers there are fantastic! It is a quick hop on US 301 to Rt 42 where the Church is.

Yoda
08-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Thank you for the great info.

Yoda

SteveZ
08-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Thank you for the great info.

Yoda
The Diocese of Orlando has several large parishes, a few with well over 10,000 year-round members. My prior parish (St Joseph's in Orlando) and its neighbor (Sts. Peter and Paul, Winter Park) are huge, with large churches, school, old age homes and all sorts of ancillary services.

Belleview, Leesburg and also Inverness (Diocese of St. Petersburg) are not that far away, either.

St. Timothy's is popular, because it is golf-cart accessible.

chachacha
08-24-2009, 10:12 PM
For anyone interested in the Mass in Latin, the church in Ocala, I believe it is Queen of Peace, has a Latin Mass once monthly. I attend St. Vincent de Paul and think it is a wonderful church community.

SUNNYMARYANN
08-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I would love to hear a Latin Mass again.

Ceafolks
08-30-2009, 05:38 PM
That makes at least three of us. This former alter boy hasn't been to a Trent Mass in many years. It would bring back memories.

KathieI
08-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I might be mistaken but I thought the church frowned on Latin masses as they were no longer recognized by the Vatican? Am I wrong or was that Los Angeles Cardinal Mahoney rule????

SteveZ
08-30-2009, 06:15 PM
I might be mistaken but I thought the church frowned on Latin masses as they were no longer recognized by the Vatican? Am I wrong or was that Los Angeles Cardinal Mahoney rule????
Pope Benedict XVI clarified this in a July 7, 2007 apostolic letter to bishops on the subject (see http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=24633). Bottom line is that use of both pre- (Latin) and post- (local language) Vatican II missals is permitted.

KathieI
08-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks Steve, I didn't know that. Although I like a Latin Mass, I've become so accustomed to the English version and feel I get so much more out of it now. Good info tho...

Mallory
08-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Dominus vobiscum, y'all.

KathieI
08-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Dominus vobiscum, y'all.

Does that mean, shup already!!!! :shrug:

Whalen
08-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Dominus vobiscum, y'all.

Et cum spirit tu tuo,..... Do re mus....

chachacha
08-31-2009, 10:58 AM
was happy to see some interest in the Latin Mass. wondering if some would like to carpool to ocala one saturday evening to attend and maybe have dinner together? if so i will find out when exactly the next opportunity is..

champion6
08-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Former alter boy here... A few years ago I went to a Latin mass. I reminded me that all I did was memorize SYLLABLES. I had no idea what I was saying, but it didn't matter - to me nor the priest. For that matter, if I didn't pronounce the syllables correctly, it didn't matter to me nor the priest.

chachacha
09-04-2009, 09:58 AM
well, for those who might be interested, i called Queen of Peace in ocala and they have a latin mass EVERY sunday night at 6pm...i thought it was only once a month..that is a very big church so there must be a lot of people who like the traditional mass and understand it....i have found that going to mass all around the world has been much easier knowing the basics of what is going on at all times from the old latin days....if anyone would like to carpool over one sunday please pm me...

wmchale
09-09-2009, 08:12 AM
when I went to the latin Mass

The priest use to say I can plan Dominoes better than you can

these people in back use to say no you can't I can!!

then they would set people with baskets to collect the bets

graciegirl
09-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Dominus vobiscum, y'all.

Et cum spiritu tuo.

Is that right? It's kinda like riding a bicycle isn't it!

Pax Vobiscum.

chuckinca
09-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Mea culpa, Mea culpa, Mei maxima culpa

chuckinca
09-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Former alter boy here... A few years ago I went to a Latin mass. I reminded me that all I did was memorize SYLLABLES. I had no idea what I was saying, but it didn't matter - to me nor the priest. For that matter, if I didn't pronounce the syllables correctly, it didn't matter to me nor the priest.

Ditto

Really got into shaking the incense thurible (had to look up the name of that thingy)!

graciegirl
09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Remember the litany of the saints?

Sanctus Tomas. (???)

Ora pro nobis.

and on and on and on.

Yoda
09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
OK, since I started this link let me say this:

St. Timothy is cool. Lots of people. Biggest Catholic church that I have been to. Hi Tech. 4 or more teleprompters/cctv. Try it, you'll like it.

Yoda