PDA

View Full Version : The Height of IGNORANCE

dominick
03-14-2010, 12:20 PM
I went to Mass at a Catholic Church this weekend. During the offertory/consecration a woman received a call on her cell phone. She actually carried on a 1 minute conversation before hanging up.
Also, there was a "stampede" to leave the church DURING communion. Have to get out of the parking lot you know.
Don't people realize what they are doing??
I shouldn't let these things bother me, but sometimes crudeness and ignorance is very distracting.

graciegirl
03-14-2010, 01:02 PM
I went to Mass at a Catholic Church this weekend. During the offertory/consecration a woman received a call on her cell phone. She actually carried on a 1 minute conversation before hanging up.
Also, there was a "stampede" to leave the church DURING communion. Have to get out of the parking lot you know.
I shouldn't let these things bother me, but sometimes crudeness and ignorance is very distracting.

dominick
03-14-2010, 05:14 PM
I would like to retract the comments that I made to start this thread. I was much too judgemental and critical of my fellow Christians. Must have been in a bad mood or something. With everything thats going on today, there are more serious things to worry about. Sorry if I offended anyone. Peace.

Talk Host
03-14-2010, 05:33 PM
I happen to think you are correct in your first post. No apology needed. IMO

Campbell soup
03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I also agree....No apology necessary.

Mallory
03-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Dominus vobiscum.

another Linda
03-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Dominus vobiscum.
Et cum spirito tuo

(Hm-m-m. Are we showing our age?)

And Dominic, you aren't alone!

tkret
03-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Dominick .... you seem to have touched onto something. Recently, I was up North, and went to Church with my sister and her husband. Upon leaving the property, my brother-in-law cursed out at least four other church-goers BEFORE HE EVEN LEFT THE CHURCH PARKING LOT. What's up with that!!!

But, you know what??? It ain't just the parishioners, though. We once asked a Priest to visit a funeral home 4 city streets away from the rectory to say a prayer at a wake for an immigrant lady who had volunteered her time in the same rectory for over 50 years. He replied and said "Only if you send a car for one of us". H-mmmmm, let me try to understand this. Jesus walked all over Palestine preaching the Good Word and this guy couldn't walk 4 blocks for someone who had volunteered at his home for many years.

skip0358
03-15-2010, 02:04 PM
If that was at St. Vincent De Paul I too was there if not it Happen there on Sunday also. As for leaving the parking lot I thought I was at the Inndy 500. What the he-- is the hurry. Really people.

K9-Lovers
03-15-2010, 08:49 PM
When we lived in Virginia, our Catholic church had the same problem with cell phones ringing and people leaving right after communion or during the closing hymn. Our Monsignor took time out right before/after his sermon several times a year to remind everyone to turn off cell phones and to stay until the closing hymn was completed. He even had signs posted that were very visible as you entered reminding folks to turn off cell phones. It was very effective, as he brought up the subject in a pleasant manner. He was also very good about explaining the holiness of the communion ritual. These actions are the height of ignorance, as these people don't know or understand the holiness of this part of the mass.:ohdear:

Maybe if a few of you mentioned your disappointment to the priest, he would say a few words to the congregation? We are coming to live as permanent residents in April and look forward to attending St. Timothy's.:wave::2excited:

chuckinca
03-15-2010, 09:04 PM
If they still had nuns in black carrying wooden rulers patrolling the aisles this wouldn't be an issue.

K9-Lovers
03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
:eek: Makes my knuckles ache just thinking about that!

Mallory
03-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Regarding the early exits, at least at St. V's some of the sermons (especially by the deacons) are so long that those leaving after the dismissal are bumping into others arriving for the next Mass. The larger than normal winter crowds don't help either. Have to say, though, that the sermon on Sunday at 11:30 with the NCIS tie-in was very well done as well as entertaining.

Lent is also confusing with no final hymn so many aren't really sure when to leave.

All in all, we all were taught how to act before, in, and after Mass and should know better.

Whalen
03-15-2010, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE= We are coming to live as permanent residents in April and look forward to attending St. Timothy's.:wave::2excited:[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen At St. Timithy's on Sunday afternoon, you have to leave before the Mass starts in order to get out in a timely fasion.

kittylecroix
03-16-2010, 08:11 AM
I was at St Vincent's also, and the guy next to me walked past his seat and right out the door after communion. Then people weren't very considerate getting out of the parking lot either. What's the hurry?

dillywho
03-16-2010, 08:53 AM
:)I'm not Catholic, but other churches have the same problems. Our minister back home once stopped in mid-sermon when someone's phone went off and said, "Would you like to get that?" (We, too, had the reminders to silence phones.) We had a large church there with multiple services and ministers. One morning at the 10:20 service, the preacher assured us that he would not go over his allotted hour because the next service was scheduled right after that one at 11:30. He commented that his was the best service to attend because that way, being on time and close to the noon hour, we could beat the Baptists to the restaurant. Maybe that's part of the hurry here.

graciegirl
03-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Edited by me...Oh boy. Sorry. I sounded pretty preachy.

sschuler1
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
I have to say that I have found this phenomenon to be a Catholic thing! I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic schools grades 1-12, and attended Catholic churches until I got married. I married a Methodist, but we decided that we would attend many different churches until we found what suited us. We have attended Methodist, Episcopal, Baptist, non-denominational christian churches, and now currently Assembly of God. None of the other churches go racing for the doors, but none of the other churches expect to get out under an hour either. Our current services last anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours. People stay and chat with each other afterward as well. From what I have experienced, the smaller congregations make for a more intimate worship experience. Everyone knows each other, and that makes a big difference in how everyone treats each other too.

whartonjelly
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
What about the rudeness of patients answering their phones while the Doctor is right in front of them! Then carrying on the conversation or texting and making the Docs wait to check their incisions or throats or whatever!:agree:

runnermi
03-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Oh heck, I was in a restroom when the woman in the stall next to me answered her cell phone and carried on an entire conversation. Is nothing sacred?

Boomer
03-04-2011, 11:03 AM
What about the rudeness of patients answering their phones while the Doctor is right in front of them! Then carrying on the conversation or texting and making the Docs wait to check their incisions or throats or whatever!:agree:

Hi wj,

That is awful. I guess they will have to post exam-room signs that say to turn off the cell phones when the medical staff is present. (Not that such signs would even register in a lot of cases.)

Ironically, with some of those patients, if the doc were to turn and walk out when ignored, moving those patients to the end of the line, many of those idiot-patients would complain and say the doc was rude to them. And it would never occur to them that not only are they being rude to the doctor and staff but also to other patients in-waiting.

It makes me sad to see those who have raised self-absorption to some kind of bizarre art-form. They are everywhere.

Currently Grouchy (but still well-mannered) Boomer

faithfulfrank
03-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I am not Catholic, but I remember going to a large church once where right in the middle of the sermon a person's cellphone went off, much to the embarrassment of the owner, who was trying without succes to turn off the ringer. The pastor walked down to the person, said, "Here, give me the phone". The pastor answered it ....it went like this;

Pastor: Hello
Caller: Who is this?
Pastor: This is Pastor Marty. Joe's in church right now, and you called him right during my sermon. It's turning out to be a really good sermon, and we are having a great time here. I just wanted to invite you to church here.....best place to be on a Sunday morning. Love to see you. I'll tell Joe to call you back after service. See ya!

While I don't know if that was the best way to handle it, at the time most all of the congregation was smiling.....Joe was an easy going guy, and although embarrassed thought it was good. He never forgot to turn off his cellphone after that.

I'm on call 24/7, so I make sure my phone is on vibrate. We sit towards the back at the end of a row. I'm told there are now Apps that you download that "knows" where your phone is, and can automatically go to vibrate when you are at that location.

As to parking lots, our church has a volunteer staff of parking attendants who do a great job of getting folks in and out between services....it is sad to see some folks just "punching in" and getting out. We have a coffee time after services, so no one seems in a rush to leave......

Frank

duffysmom
03-04-2011, 11:10 AM

I had a doctor whip out his phone and after reading a message he started to text while I sat there clutching a rediculous paper shirt.:sigh:

Talk Host
03-04-2011, 11:32 AM
There is a doctor who serves The Villages, who checks football scores on his laptop with his back to you during your visit. I said to him, "I hope I'm not bothering you." He said, "Oh no, I'm just checking the scores."

graciegirl
03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I am not Catholic, but I remember going to a large church once where right in the middle of the sermon a person's cellphone went off, much to the embarrassment of the owner, who was trying without succes to turn off the ringer. The pastor walked down to the person, said, "Here, give me the phone". The pastor answered it ....it went like this;

Pastor: This is Pastor Marty. Joe's in church right now, and you called him right during my sermon. It's turning out to be a really good sermon, and we are having a great time here. I just wanted to invite you to church here.....best place to be on a Sunday morning. Love to see you. I'll tell Joe to call you back after service. See ya!

While I don't know if that was the best way to handle it, at the time most all of the congregation was smiling.....Joe was an easy going guy, and although embarrassed thought it was good. He never forgot to turn off his cellphone after that.

I'm on call 24/7, so I make sure my phone is on vibrate. We sit towards the back at the end of a row. I'm told there are now Apps that you download that "knows" where your phone is, and can automatically go to vibrate when you are at that location.

As to parking lots, our church has a volunteer staff of parking attendants who do a great job of getting folks in and out between services....it is sad to see some folks just "punching in" and getting out. We have a coffee time after services, so no one seems in a rush to leave......

Frank

Faithful...you always seem to get right to the heart of things and just say the right thing. You are a VERY nice person.

cybrgeezer
03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
A little off-topic, but certainly on the 'ignorance' subject:

Some years ago, I was dating a lady who asked me to take her to church on a Sunday morn. When we arrived at the church, the lot was full and people were looking for a place to park. I noticed the church next door, whose lot was just a few feet away over a grassy patch, was empty and I suggested we go over there.

"We can't," she said.

"Do they object?" I asked.

"No," she answered. "But they're heathens!"

Hancle704
01-14-2012, 11:29 PM

What about doctors who answer their cell phones while they are examining & treating you?

2BNTV
01-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi wj,

That is awful. I guess they will have to post exam-room signs that say to turn off the cell phones when the medical staff is present. (Not that such signs would even register in a lot of cases.)

Ironically, with some of those patients, if the doc were to turn and walk out when ignored, moving those patients to the end of the line, many of those idiot-patients would complain and say the doc was rude to them. And it would never occur to them that not only are they being rude to the doctor and staff but also to other patients in-waiting.

It makes me sad to see those who have raised self-absorption to some kind of bizarre art-form. They are everywhere. Currently Grouchy (but still well-mannered) Boomer

I agree that is a non-good sign of the times.

While I don't know if that was the best way to handle it, at the time most all of the congregation was smiling.....Joe was an easy going guy, and although embarrassed thought it was good. He never forgot to turn off his cellphone after that.I'm on call 24/7, so I make sure my phone is on vibrate. We sit towards the back at the end of a row. I'm told there are now Apps that you download that "knows" where your phone is, and can automatically go to vibrate when you are at that location.

Frank

This is an example of the best way to handle this situation. I feel sorry for Joe this happened. My experience is some people feel an obligation to go to church but sometimes are preoccuplied with other things they feel may be important re "punching in and getting out".

dillywho
01-15-2012, 01:54 PM
What about doctors who answer their cell phones while they are examining & treating you?

That would depend on whether it was a matter of life or death for another of his patients. Just to chat....no!

JeffAVEWS
01-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Post a Nun at the door with a pointer, that will fix the problem! Whack....

getdul981
01-16-2012, 10:06 AM
This has nothing to do with going to church, but does address the topic at hand i.e. The Height of Ignorance.

A friend of ours is in the TV Hospital. His wife was over visiting and needed to go up to the second floor. She has severe macular degeneration and is legally blind, although to look at her, you would not realize it. When she got on the elevator to go up, someone asked her if she could push the button. She told them that she could not because she is blind. The lady reached around her to push the button and said "Where's your cane"? That's just downright mean and stupid. My parents didn't raise me to be that way.

JimJoe
01-16-2012, 10:31 AM
That was rude comment but as a side note, how many floors are there in the TV hospital and aren't the buttons market with brail numbers? I thought all elevators are required to be marked that way.
JJ

This has nothing to do with going to church, but does address the topic at hand i.e. The Height of Ignorance.

A friend of ours is in the TV Hospital. His wife was over visiting and needed to go up to the second floor. She has severe macular degeneration and is legally blind, although to look at her, you would not realize it. When she got on the elevator to go up, someone asked her if she could push the button. She told them that she could not because she is blind. The lady reached around her to push the button and said "Where's your cane"? That's just downright mean and stupid. My parents didn't raise me to be that way.

rustyemerson
05-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Then we wonder why people don't think much of God when we'd prefer to get out of the parking lot first than to spend a little more time catching up with fellow members of the body.

graciegirl
05-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Then we wonder why people don't think much of God when we'd prefer to get out of the parking lot first than to spend a little more time catching up with fellow members of the body.

Somewhere along those lines something feels right. I think a little patience and a little acceptance is the goal here. We all have our foibles. I have a LOT.

asianthree
05-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Hummmmmmmmmm Phone call was from GOD?

graciegirl
05-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Hummmmmmmmmm Phone call was from GOD?

Could have been. He might have said...Pay attention! ;)

graciegirl
05-11-2012, 07:35 AM
I would like to retract the comments that I made to start this thread. I was much too judgemental and critical of my fellow Christians. Must have been in a bad mood or something. With everything thats going on today, there are more serious things to worry about. Sorry if I offended anyone. Peace.

I want to hug you. You didn't offend me. I love it when people are kind and forgiving.

George Bieniaszek
05-11-2012, 09:02 AM
My wife and I get a chuckle everytime we attend St. Timothy's. People start arriving almost 1 hour before Mass starts in order to sit in "their" seat. We are snowbirds and accidentally found out that we were sitting in someone's seat when they said loud enough for us to hear (maybe accidentally but probably on purpose) that we were sitting in their seats.

Anyway, people start arriving 1 hour early, and race out of church after receiving communion. I know that The Villages has many activities planned everyday, but there should be a little time set aside for some religious reflection. My wife and I have a friendly bet on how many empty seats are available in the section we sit at after communion.

In Connecticut, our pastor has made numerous comments about not leaving early, and now stands at the exits when he doesn't officiate the Mass to greet the "early-birds". :police:

Schaumburger
05-12-2012, 05:54 AM
My wife and I get a chuckle everytime we attend St. Timothy's. People start arriving almost 1 hour before Mass starts in order to sit in "their" seat. We are snowbirds and accidentally found out that we were sitting in someone's seat when they said loud enough for us to hear (maybe accidentally but probably on purpose) that we were sitting in their seats.

Anyway, people start arriving 1 hour early, and race out of church after receiving communion. I know that The Villages has many activities planned everyday, but there should be a little time set aside for some religious reflection. My wife and I have a friendly bet on how many empty seats are available in the section we sit at after communion.

In Connecticut, our pastor has made numerous comments about not leaving early, and now stands at the exits when he doesn't officiate the Mass to greet the "early-birds". :police:

St. Timothy's is beautiful church -- first church I had ever been to that had the service broadcast on TV screens through out the church. My church in the Chicago area is much smaller, so no need for TV screens. When I went to St. Timothy's 2 years ago during my first visit to TV, I was quite impressed that there was a sign language interpreter signing the Mass.

I grew up Catholic, and I remember people deliberately sitting in the back few rows of the church, then making their exit right out the door after communion. The last few rows of the church I grew up in were usually 90% vacant after communion.

Since I have been singing in the choir for 20+ yrs. now, no early exits for me :). Looking forward to going back to one or more churches in TV when I am there next month.

graciegirl
05-12-2012, 06:02 AM

Oh dear heavens. Did I just read that saving seats extends to Mass?:confused:
Oh no. Would that be a venial or a mortal?

NotGolfer
05-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Back to what the original poster said....I always find it strange that a phone will go off in church (or whatever the gathering) "after" it's been asked for folks to turn off their cell-phones! I've seen folks "answer" the call in a loud "stage" whisper and sometimes carry on a conversation! This happened once at a church event, recently. The person, rather than turning it off got up and was walking out of the very large room, talking to the caller. The phone must have been turned onto "speaker" so we all got to hear the person on the other end. Amazing!!! If they're expecting an important call...an emergency for instance, could they not put it on viberate?? What call is so important that there can't be a call-back later (non-emergency calls of course)?? There is such a thing called "voice-mail"!!!

Barefoot
05-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Having a cell phone on in a public venue is disrespectful of others. Whether it is church, a concert or a yoga class. There is the "vibrate" option for emergencies . I think the important thing is that people are still motivated to attend church, presumably to find some serenity and inner peace. I respect their right to decide long they stay. Everyone has their own way of worshipping. :pray:

uujudy
05-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Having a cell phone on in a public venue is disrespectful of others. Whether it is church, a concert or a yoga class. There is the "vibrate" option for emergencies . . . . .

I think the best 'reminder' about turning off cell phones was at my daughter's school:
"The only reason your phone should ring is if you are at the top of the organ transplant list. If your phone rings we will all stop talking so you can hear your doctor."

It worked!

NotGolfer
05-12-2012, 02:15 PM
I have a friend, who EVERY TIME her cellphone rings she "has" to answer it! Generally it's her grown kids and she talks with them several times a day. If she and I are out, in a restaurant having some 'girl time'---the phone will ring and she'll have that conversation. It's annoying and it's rude! She could have it go to voice-mail and call them back when she's home and alone.

Barefoot
05-12-2012, 03:09 PM
I have a friend, who EVERY TIME her cellphone rings she "has" to answer it! Generally it's her grown kids and she talks with them several times a day. If she and I are out, in a restaurant having some 'girl time'---the phone will ring and she'll have that conversation. It's annoying and it's rude! She could have it go to voice-mail and call them back when she's home and alone.

I have the same girlfriend! When we go to lunch to have some 'girl time', she repeatedly answers the phone. She usually says "This is important, I'll just take a second" and then spends ten minutes arranging a tennis date and listening to the latest gossip, or talking to her sister, or her kids. And by the way, she thinks I'm rude because I don't have a cell phone, and therefore she she can't reach me whenever she wants. :confused: Needless to say, I haven't scheduled any lunches with her in a long time!

Whoops, sorry for the hijack, I just realized this is a Church Thread.

rubicon
05-12-2012, 03:20 PM
If they still had nuns in black carrying wooden rulers patrolling the aisles this wouldn't be an issue.

.:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: Mother superior I promise never to.........

and they did it because they loved you enough to care that you didn't continue to act like a jerk

billethkid
05-13-2012, 05:25 AM
regarding the cell phones....they are such a help t our lives while at the same time an intrusion, by some few.

A couple of solutions? Cell phone scramblers in churches...hospitals...restaurants, etc.

The church leaving early problem...gates...call the pearly or what ever. The clergyman conducting the service last words for the could be, the pearly gates are now open for your convenient departure.

Why not?

btk

uujudy
05-13-2012, 12:36 PM
regarding the cell phones.... . . . . The clergyman conducting the service last words for the could be, the pearly gates are now open for your convenient departure.

Why not?

btk

Hahahaha! Great idea! Love it! :thumbup:

ilovetv
05-13-2012, 12:55 PM

I have that friend, too. It's like her 30-year-old married kids are going to die unless she solves their problem of the day. Very poor weaning! Every conversation we have is interrupted this way. It's an addiction, really.

For church I try to remember to leave the phone in the car. Most calls can wait for one hour. My phone has rung once or twice in church because I forgot to put it on vibrate. It mortifies me and I turn the power off. What I can't believe is people who are in no hurry to silence the thing if it goes off during the service......or on their job!

swrinfla
05-13-2012, 05:15 PM
As one who absolutely hates that the rest of the world seems to be connected to their families and friends solely by some amorphous cyber-space system, may I state simply that any public get-together should forcefully prohibit attendees from being connected in any way to that world!

Any gathering at which I have some semblance of "I am in charge" role will begin with an admonishment that cell phones be completely disabled!

Sorry, but I think modern technolgy has been an adverse influence on our lives!

SWR
:beer3:

NotGolfer
05-13-2012, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=ilovetv;492107]I have that friend, too. It's like her 30-year-old married kids are going to die unless she solves their problem of the day. Very poor weaning! Every conversation we have is interrupted this way. It's an addiction, really.

EXACTLY!!!! I have 2 friends who'd fall into this catagory! Why.oh.why do they think it's an "earth-shaking" event if they don't answer???? I would only wish they could read threads such as this....and maybe, just maybe would get a clue!

ilovetv
05-13-2012, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=ilovetv;492107]I have that friend, too. It's like her 30-year-old married kids are going to die unless she solves their problem of the day. Very poor weaning! Every conversation we have is interrupted this way. It's an addiction, really.

EXACTLY!!!! I have 2 friends who'd fall into this catagory! Why.oh.why do they think it's an "earth-shaking" event if they don't answer???? I would only wish they could read threads such as this....and maybe, just maybe would get a clue!

They wouldn't get a clue anyway, from reading a thread like this. They think we are "negligent and apathetic" parents if we say "He/she can wait a half hour till I leave here."

ronsroni
07-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Some folks with M.D. may not read braille b/c they may have been recently diagnosed. Having braille letters and/or numbers on the elevator,wall,door... anywhere... may just be a bumpy button to most. We can't read braille without lessons and it is difficult to do. Point being, every blind person does not read braille, every deaf person cannot lip read, etc. People just need to count blessings one at a time. Can you imagine? The dope who made the remark needs one quarter mile in the blind persons ruby slippers. NEVER AGAIN would something be said by that enlightened person. BTW.... canes fold and go in pockets, purses. Shame on her. just sayin'

ronsroni
07-16-2012, 11:28 PM
I have a brother named James who used to be incensed about the rudeness of those with cell phones. Every day, James would go to the same diner in New York City and have his breakfast, coffee and read the paper. All of a sudden there was a huge influx of ringing cell phones and HELLO?, Hi, Yeah, Okee gee wah... all sorts of greetings would flood the restaurant. It drove him to distraction.
And then came BERNIE, BERNICE and BERTRAM. The heavy hitters.
One day, I go to the diner with him and hear, "Watch this.". It is 3:15PM on a Wednesday and the phones are lit up. James reaches into his backpack and "HELLO??? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? YOU THERE? HELLO>>HELLOOOOO!!!" and they race for the sidewalk. James had purchased three devices to END calls for three minutes. It was so much fun. The screamers on the bus, the subway. Next to you in the theatre. Cut it off. They may have been illegal, but well worth the penalty. Talk about power.
On June 8, 2012, my mom passed away. She asked for a memorial service and High Mass. In the midst of the service, THE 1812 OVERTURE is blaring from someones phone and he answered it. We waited and the priest asked if it was OK to proceed when he hung up. SIDEBAR: James has a phone now. Many, many rules but he caved.

Joaniesmom
07-17-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm not even a church-goer but I think you were absolutely correct! Rude behavior is rude behavior no matter where it occurs.

What does your priest think about it? Would he be willing to comment on it in some venue? Perhaps during the sermon? Perhaps in those little brochures they hand out before the service? Perhaps at Sunday School?

Any place that is deemed proper. After all, isn't one of the duties of the church to counsel on proper behavior?

Or maybe a committee of Church laymen would make this a project? I'm sure no one wants this to take place in their church.

Just some suggestions. I know if you get some church members to put their heads together you'll figure out a way to put a stop to this ignorant behavior.

Personally I would PAY to attend a service where the priest would say out loud, right in the middle of the service, "John and Mary Jones! Where do you think you are going! We're not done yet!" lol!! But I have a naughty sense of humor.

graciegirl
07-17-2012, 10:36 AM

duffysmom
07-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Gracie the messages that you erase are the ones I really, really want to read.:censored:

Barefoot
07-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Gracie the messages that you erase are the ones I really, really want to read.:censored:

I was thinking exactly the same thing!

CFrance
07-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Here in the midwest, our church won't post a sign at the front door telling everyone to turn their cell phones off. They think it is too harsh, while i think it's a nice reminder, as so many people don't want to interrupt the service but just forget to turn the phones off. We are frequently bombarded with cell phones rining and people racing to the back of the church and out the door, embarrassed as all get-out.

Shoot, our vet does it, our insurance broker does it... What's so harsh about it? If someone will quit coming to church brcause they can't let their cell phone rinfg, well... Maybe thry need to be in another church. Just my opinion.

CFrance
07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Oh, and i can't splellll

Villageshooter
07-17-2012, 08:26 PM
more than once i have caught a nosy rosy trying to listen to my cell phone call in a McDonalds or some place ,i try to be very discreet NEVER talking louder than if someone was setting across the table from me (it is a cell phone not a tin can on a string),, when I see that, I give them something to listen to.... I talk about all kinds of neat things: death of a patient, deciding if we want to cover the claim of a person who is an arsonist but we cant prove it,,, things that will make there eyebrows raise... nothing dirty or inappropriate,,, have had them scoot over closer when I get up to refill,, so they can hear better... funny to say : "you wont believe what i have to tell you, this will could incriminating" then get up and leave.... life is fun!

uujudy
07-17-2012, 11:15 PM

I was thinking exactly the same thing!

Me too! :wave:

windylou
07-18-2012, 08:35 PM
We visited a church where the pastor ... as he said his good morning before starting the service... asked for a "cell phone symphony".. It was quite effective....and
quite a musical moment as the phones were turned off.

Barefoot
07-18-2012, 11:27 PM
more than once i have caught a nosy rosy trying to listen to my cell phone call .... when I see that, I give them something to listen to.... I talk about all kinds of neat things: death of a patient, deciding if we want to cover the claim of a person who is an arsonist but we cant prove it,,, things that will make there eyebrows raise

graciegirl
07-19-2012, 04:05 AM

I thought so too, Bare. You read my thoughts.

2BNTV
07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Reminds of the bumper sticker.

Christians aren't perfect, just forgiving.

graciegirl
07-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Reminds of the bumper sticker.

Christians aren't perfect, just forgiving.

You clairvoyant? Is that how it's spelled? Looks funny.

justjim
07-19-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't know----forgiving? I don't think my Sister has ever forgiven me for putting that rubber snake in the floorboard of her car! Of course, ask me and I will deny it! She is one of the best Christian's I know.

2BNTV
07-19-2012, 09:42 AM
You clairvoyant? Is that how it's spelled? Looks funny.

You spelled it right Gracie. :smiley:

buggyone
07-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Speaking of cellphones in church -

A few months ago, I attended a Sunday morning service at Norman Lee's Garden of Worship. It is a great place!

During the service - and Pastor Lee's sermon - a cellphone rang. The lady looked sheepish. She answered the phone and Norman came down the aisle, took the phone from her and said to the person on the line, "She can't talk to you right now, she is in church and I am the pastor." It was the best thing I have seen in church in a long time!

Norman is a great guy and a sincere minister. Try his church!

Barefoot
07-25-2012, 10:01 AM

A few months ago, I attended a Sunday morning service at Norman Lee's Garden of Worship. It is a great place!

During the service - and Pastor Lee's sermon - a cellphone rang. The lady looked sheepish. She answered the phone and Norman came down the aisle, took the phone from her and said to the person on the line, "She can't talk to you right now, she is in church and I am the pastor." It was the best thing I have seen in church in a long time!

What a great story. Good for the pastor. :ho: to Norman Lee. I just googled the website for the Garden of Worship. I see they collect every third week for the Humane Society. I think that is wonderful.

justjim
07-25-2012, 11:38 AM

I am loss for words. I hope the lady was his wife or someone he knew very well. Otherwise, she may never go to church again. :ohdear: