PDA

View Full Version : Scrapple

Sparky-30
08-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Every fall for many years we make our own scrapple. Its a depression era recipe on my wife's side.

Take a large pot, fill with water and add 8 to 10lbs of Pork Neck Bones, boil for approx 3 hours. When cooled, take out the neckbones and pick all the meat off, leaving the juices in the pot
Bring liquid back up to boil, drop meat back in, add 3 tablespoons of sage., or a little more if desired) & 2 chopped medium onions., also salt and pepper.
Stirring the pot is very important with a large handle spoon.
Start adding in corn meal slowly (you will be using 3 boxes of cornmeal), try not to get any lumps, keep stirring as it will start thickening. (Take turns stirring as it will wear you out)
After stirring for approx 20 minutes or so, have at least 6 casserole dishes, greased and ready to go. When thick enough, one person holds pot and the other dishes it out into the casserole dishes. Butter the top of each one and let cool. Put in frig afterwards.

Fry up in a little oil the next day, when frying make sure before flipping over, its cooked very well on one side. Add a little butter when on the plate and some salt.

Will make your tongue slap your brains out!:wave:

BogeyBoy
08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
I was in the market a while ago and the lady in front of me was buying some scrapple. I asked her if she was from Pennsylvania - and she was.

Years ago I tried scrapple - once.

Yoda
08-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I used to make mine out of plaster of paris & water, it worked real well but I'd never eat it.

Yoda

PS, I bet yours tastes good but will it hold paint?

zcaveman
08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
I had to go to a place in south PA for a job. At breakfast the waitress asked me if if I wanted scrapple. I asked what was in it. She said you do not want to know. I had bacon.

Z

TednRobin
08-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I was in the market a while ago and the lady in front of me was buying some scrapple. I asked her if she was from Pennsylvania - and she was.

Years ago I tried scrapple - once.

LOL, born and raised on scrapple. Best ever is Meadow's Scrapple. Go online and order "uns" some.

Junebugs
08-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Having been born and raised in Philly, I grew up eating scrapple. My husband, from North Carolina, grew up eating liver mush -- similar but not quite the same. Both are best when sliced thin and fried to crispy on the outside. I prefer mine slathered in ketchup!:thumbup:

scrapple
08-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Being from Tamaqua, PA, my grandma made sure each of the grandchildren received a copy of the 1940's edition of the Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook, which I'll be bringing down with me. After the scrapple is fried and on the plate, you cover it with maple syrup and serve with 2 eggs fried in bacon fat. When people ask me what Scrapple is, I tell them "Penna Dutch version of Spam." When we bought our house in Colorado, I bonded with the dog pictured who became part of the closing negotiations. Any good German Shorthaired Pointer needs an equally well deserving name, so I named him Scrapple. See you all soon! I'd really like to help you make some fresh scrapple! Carol and Dan.

Talk Host
08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
barf

graciegirl
08-01-2010, 07:33 PM
In Cincinnati we have Goetta.(Pronounced gett uh.) It is made with meat, seasonings and pin oats that have been simmered for quite a while. It is fried and served with eggs. YUM!

(In fact I believe the Goetta fest is going on right now.)

bluedog103
08-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Every fall for many years we make our own scrapple. Its a depression era recipe on my wife's side.

Take a large pot, fill with water and add 8 to 10lbs of Pork Neck Bones, boil for approx 3 hours. When cooled, take out the neckbones and pick all the meat off, leaving the juices in the pot
Bring liquid back up to boil, drop meat back in, add 3 tablespoons of sage., or a little more if desired) & 2 chopped medium onions., also salt and pepper.
Start adding in corn meal slowly (you will be using 3 boxes of cornmeal), try not to get any lumps, keep stirring as it will start thickening. (Take turns stirring as it will wear you out)
After stirring for approx 20 minutes or so, have at least 6 casserole dishes, greased and ready to go. When thick enough, one person holds pot and the other dishes it out into the casserole dishes. Butter the top of each one and let cool. Put in frig afterwards.

Fry up in a little oil the next day, when frying make sure before flipping over, its cooked very well on one side. Add a little butter when on the plate and some salt.

Sounds like a great recipe for scrapple. We love it in our household but try not to think of the usual ingredients as we eat it, but then if folks knew what goes in some hot dogs they wouldn't eat them either. I knew of one local butcher shop who used to mix beef hearts into the ground beef. We didn't especially care for it and most customers had no idea it was in their hamburger meat. Your recipe sounds much more tolerable.
Around these parts in New York State, pork neck bones can be hard to come by. Any suggestions of a different piece of meat?

gadaboutgal
08-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Here's another YUM for goetta. :thumbup: Graciegirl, I come from 4 generations of Cincinnati Germans. My mom, grandmother, I and now my daughter all made/make goetta. I found pin oats here at Publix. Never found it anwhere else we have lived except Ohio. My dh grew up on scrapple--no competition in my opinion.

Sparky-30
08-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the replies, the one about with syrup is also pretty common, have never tried that, maybe I will. When I get desperate off season, I will buy the Rapa Scrapple at the grocers, just not the same, dont want to know whats in that. Something in the neck bones gives it the flavor and gel together.

getdul981
08-02-2010, 06:59 AM
barf

taylor111947
08-02-2010, 07:30 AM
In Cincinnati we have Goetta.(Pronounced gett uh.) It is made with meat, seasonings and pin oats that have been simmered for quite a while. It is fried and served with eggs. YUM!

Gracie Girl - I can't believe someone else knows what Goetta is! My first roommate post-college (who was from Chicago) used to make it and I've wondered for years if I could get a recipe.

I've got a question - does anyone know what spiedies are?

gadaboutgal
08-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Here's a recipe I've used that cooks in the crockpot. Our original family recipe called for top of stove cooking but you really have to keep watch and keep stirring or it burns on the bottom.
Crockpot Method
1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground beef
6 C. water
2 1/2 C. pinhead* or steel coat oatmeal(Publix has Quaker Oats brand)
1 large onion, sliced
4 bay leaves (more depending on size, * I like more)
3 tsp. salt—
Pinch of pepper
Heat the water in a crockpot.
Add the oats and cook on HIGH for 1 and 1/2 hours
Add the meat, onions and spices and cook covered for
3 hours more on LOW. If it is not thick enough, then uncover
and cook a bit more until thick.
Pour into bread pans (size doesn't matter).
Refrigerate overnight. Remove the bay leaf before frying.
-We originally used Dorsal’s Pinhead oats for goetta
(Pinoats are also called steel-cut oats)

salpal
08-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Scrapple is the best! In Delaware, we even have a Scrapple festival. And we have a Pumpkin Chunkin (now since moved to Maryland)....we Delawarians are wierd......

borjo
05-26-2011, 12:07 AM

As the subject line stated, it's GOT to be eaten with apple butter!

tainsley
05-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Being from Philly scrapple was always on the breakfast menu. I flour both sides before cooking (keeps it together). Served with eggs and ketsup of course although my husband loves syrup with his scrapple! Gotta be HABERSETT. Never knew what was in it, never wanted to know. But it is right up there with Deitz and Watson all beef hotdogs and Taylor Pork Roll. I think I will get some breakfast now. You guys have a splendid day!

Uptown Girl
05-26-2011, 10:07 AM

Tasted my first Cincinnatti Goetta last week! It was... um, better than a sharp stick in the eye...!
Hubby George thought of you while we were there...'Hey, isn't this where Gracie Girl is from?"
Quite a lovely city! (first visit for me!)

SALYBOW
05-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Let's hear it for Goetta. I have to make my own down here. But. it is worth it. My Mom alwqays made hers. Yummy stuff!!!!