PDA

View Full Version : Insalata Caprese (Say Cheese Please???)

Boomer
08-22-2010, 01:41 PM
The local tomatoes are here in Ohio and my basil plant has been showing off out there on the patio. And so I decided what better time to put together the easiest, most beautiful creation ever to hit a plate -- Insalata Caprese.

(But I do not mix it up all together. I stack it. So I do not know for sure if I am supposed to be calling it insalata. I think it is OK. But if not, I hope somebody lets me know.)

But I digress. Anyway…………

I sliced the tomatoes and I sliced the mozzarella and stacked it on top and then I tried to arrange the basil so it would look really pretty on top of the cheese. Red and white and green. Looked rather beautiful if I do say so myself. And Paul Newman helped me out with the balsamic and olive oil that I served on the side. The pepper grinder and the salt grinder were along for the ride on the side, too. To each his own.

So what’s the problem? (You might be wondering if you have not already given up reading this.)

Well, I chose buffalo mozzarella, like I think I was supposed to, and it was fine, but it was not wonderful. I am going to type here what the bag says. --"Formaggi Ciresa Le Vette Del Sapore" It is in a little green and white package with an abstract sketch of a buffalo on it. (might be supposed to be a water buffalo - not like it's a photo from National Geographic - just an artsy little sketch)

Mr. Boomer thought the cheese was really good. But Mr. Boomer also thinks his Philly on Ritz crackers is a gourmet sensation. Not that there's anything wrong with Philly on Ritz crackers, but Philly does not cost what I paid for buffalo mozzarella because I wanted something special.

I am going to make this again. But can anyone recommend a brand of buffalo mozzarella that has a little more flavor? It is hard to explain what I mean. But I just want a little more bang for the buck on this stuff. Trying to explain about the taste of a cheese is a challenge for me. I have no vocabulary for it. Layered? Subtle, but definitely there? Oh I don't know. But I am open to suggestions that's for sure. (Not smoked cheese though)

Thanks for any help you can give me. There are still some lovely tomatoes and basil in my life. But I want to try a different brand of buffalo mozzarella.

Boomer

uujudy
08-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Boomer, I can't help you with the answer to your question, but does your store have a cheese person? I buy my cheeses at Fresh Market, and the cheese person there has helped me out many, many times. Maybe the cheese person at your store has some suggestions?

Boomer
08-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi Judy,

Sort of a cheese person but not really. She advised this one, but the selection was not a big one. I know what you mean though. I know where to find a real one in Cincinnati. Might have to do that.

Boomer

njbchbum
08-22-2010, 03:10 PM
boomer -
here's a website that gives a good history of mozzarella making: http://www.mozzco.com/mozzhisty.html that might give you some insight to this combination of ingredients.

caprese is my all time favorite way to enjoy jersey tomatoes! in our house we either layer them on a platter alternating slices of the tomato, cheese and then basil or we chop the ingredients and add some homemade croutons toasted in a fry pay using garlic, olive oil and butter [you can use whatever herbs you like in a crouton.

we treat ourselves to fresh made mozzarella from a local italian specialty shop and i must say that it is bland and soft. the flavor we get is from however we decide to dress the 'salad'. an important part of the dressing is to add fresh ground salt and pepper in addition to oil, vinegar [balsmic or red wine], or bottled dressing dressing.

enjoy the recipes on that website, too!

l2ridehd
08-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I used to buy my mozzarella at Costco, but had the same reaction that you shared. It just didn't have any flavor. So I went on a search and tried about 5 before I found what made my Caprese to die for. Close my eyes and I was back in Tuscany. Shipped directly from Italy to the distributor weekly. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

http://www.pastacheese.com/buffalomozzarella210oz.aspx

Also from pastene.com try their balsamic cream. Like a very good balsamic reduction with that great intense flavor.

The things we do when the garden comes on strong.

barb1191
08-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Maybe Asiago might be a better choice with a slight flavor similar to Parmesan. My choice would be a very sharp white cheddar. Or......for a real zesty flavor, blue cheese. Yummmmm <drool>

Boomer
08-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Thank you to uuj and njbchbum and l2ride and barb for all the suggestions.

When my daughter Boomette called earlier tonight, I told her about my disappointing choice of cheese for my beautiful Caprese. Boomette and Mr. Boomette are really good cooks and I am not and I know they mock me behind my back. (And sometimes in front of my back, too.)

"Mom," said Boomette. "Pul-eeeze, please tell me that you did not buy a plastic bag of dry, stiff mozzarella, that was hanging on a hook in the case, to make your Caprese." (Even though we were on the phone, I could tell she was rolling her eyes.)

"Of course not, my dear and darling daughter," I said. "I bought bright yellow Velveeta in that long, skinny box that was on the open shelves next to the stuff in the green cans."

(She knew I was lying about the Velveeta.)

I was then asked if the cheese I bought was packed in a little liquid. When I said yes, I got approval. Then I was instructed in the importance of texture. Finally, Boomette told me exactly where to go.....to find a cheese expert. I am going and I hope to be able to report great success.

I have been spending a little time looking at the sites suggested by njbchbum and l2ride. There are some recipes on them that others might enjoy seeing, too.

Thanks again to all. (And Barb, I love Asiago on some things, but I cannot figure out how something that smells like dirty socks can taste so good.)

Boomer (who will find the cheese at the end of the maze -- one of these days)

chuckinca
08-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Wikipedia knows all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Mozzarella

(it is water buffs).

getdul981
08-24-2010, 08:00 AM
(And Barb, I love Asiago on some things, but I cannot figure out how something that smells like dirty socks can taste so good.)

Boomer (who will find the cheese at the end of the maze -- one of these days)

Did you not have any Chef-boy-ar-de home pizza mix in a box when you were a kid? That cheese in a can smelled worse than dirty socks, but sure was good when melted on the pizza.