PDA

View Full Version : It's leaf lettuce, dried cherries, but what else? Please help!

Boomer
12-24-2010, 11:30 AM
I cannot find the recipe to a salad that has leaf lettuce and dried cherries and I think some kind of cheese and maybe some kind of nuts and I think it is a champagne dressing maybe.

I have not made this in a long time and I can remember only two of the ingredients. (And I bet the dried cherries could just as easily be dried cranberries.) And I will buy the dressing so that part I can figure out.

But does anybody know the rest? It is a really pretty salad. I can remember the two prettiest ingredients, but that's all.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Boomer

swrinfla
12-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Boomer:

This won't help you, but I had to look in my 1967 Joy of Cooking to see if Mrs. Rombauer and her daughter Marion Becker had anything.

Cherry & Hazelnut Salad
Drain and pit: canned white cherries
Insert in each cherry: a hazelnut meat
Serve very cold with: cottage cheese, mayonnaise

Sounds very uncolorful and a h*** of a lot of work!

Cheers, and may you find a solution!

SWR
:beer3:

Boomer
12-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Ohhhhh SWR,

Thank you.

Yes. I know. Like you said, it is not the one I am looking for, but I love it that you answered my post. Even though I am way too deep now in the number of threads I have started since the early days, I still harbor a little Charlie Brownlike thinking.....what if I start a thread and nobody shows up to answer? :22yikes: I really do think like that sometimes. (Oh dear....I should not reveal my deep dark secrets. But (sigh) I continue to do so right here on TOTV. And with that one, just imagine if all the TOTVers decide to gaslight me.....ohhh, nooooooo.)

SWR, I just have to tell you that even though I have never met you, I have always thought that if I looked in an illustrated dictionary for the word gentleman, there I would find your picture, right next to that word.

And, to prove my point, please return with me now to those days of yesteryear. It was in the spring of 2008, and I had started a thread that I was sure nobody would answer. And you, SWR, kind sir, were the first one to my rescue.

I have always remembered that, even though I CANNOT remember the rest of the ingredients in this beautiful salad I am supposed to be concocting here.

Anyway, thank you and here is an old, old thread from the salad days of TOTV. The thread is entitled "Dry Mustard." Remember the mustard museum? It's time for a little nostalgia......

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13040&highlight=mustard

Boomer

Jane52
12-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Have had salad like that at Bob Evans and Panera, as seasonal ones. Here is a Panera-like recipe for it, and Bob Evans' website has its recipes, including Holiday recipes that look good.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090414083446AAGjAu5

Jane52
12-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Here is Panera's nutrition info site, and it has the ingredients of their salads listed w. nutrition info on each.

http://www.paneranutrition.com/

Their main website has recipes. Good Luck and HAPPY HOLIDAY DINING!!

redwitch
12-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Don't know if this is it, but it's one that's pretty popular in California. I've added feta to this and eliminated the mayo and only had a T of syrup and it was pretty tasty. Other nice cheeses are gorgonzola or smoked gouda.

Dressing
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or other white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Salad
1 small bag mixed baby greens
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into matchstick-size strips
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

For dressing:
Whisk mayonnaise, maple syrup, vinegar, and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil until mixture thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewhisk before using.)

For salad:
Toss greens, apples, cherries, and 1/4 cup walnuts in large bowl to combine. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Divide salad equally among plates. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts and serve.

njbchbum
12-24-2010, 02:34 PM
boomer -
the recipe we like is found here: http://www.grouprecipes.com/8122/cranberry-walnut-salad.html

we use the blue cheese in our salad and when i can find them in the store, i use the sugared/candied walnuts. this salad is really good if you have the mixed baby salad greens - but leaf lettuse will make a nice presentation, too. our friends sometimes like to use a mustard vinegrette dressing - but i am not into mustard on my salads!

swrinfla
12-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Boomer:

Quite obviously, 1] your memory is far too good (I mean, remembering a thread from two and a half years ago), 2] you have the good sense to flatter me :D and 3] I'm afraid you'll never get your salad made if you keep hanging on TOTV! :22yikes:

I'm off now to get ready for my 5 dinner guests.

SWR

Uptown Girl
12-24-2010, 11:04 PM
I've made that salad a number of different ways using one of each:

1) Mixed greens, torn butter lettuce, or baby spinach
2) Thinly sliced red or green pears, asian apple pears, or jicama cut in sticks
3) Blue cheese crumbled, goat cheese, or thinly sliced scamorza cut in ribbons
4) Dried sweet cherries, dried tart cherries, or dried cranberries
5) Sweet or spicy glazed pecans, glazed walnuts

For a creamy dressing, I drizzle low calorie blue cheese (thinned a bit)
For a sweeter dressing, I mix 1Tbls. honey into 1/2 cup oil and vinegar dressing and drizzle that. I usually assemble individual salads with this recipe, and keep color in mind when making my combinations.

You've probably eaten your salad already, just thought I'd "toss" this out there for future inspiration!

SALYBOW
12-24-2010, 11:47 PM
When I made this salad I used spinach leaves, pine nuts, feta cheese and dried cherries. It is dressed with a sweet and sour dressing.

Boomer
12-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Thank you to all for your kind help.

As soon as I saw feta or blue cheese, I knew that was it. I like both of those. (But I have to confess that as time was drawing nigh, I used a little bit of finely shredded mozzarella.) And I had dried cranberries and walnuts on hand so I used those. But next time it will be blue cheese or feta and a little red onion, like was mentioned here, too. And I like dried cherries a little better I think. But the cranberries worked fine.

And, SWR, oh how I know.....sliding into home, there I was, clutching that glass salad bowl filled with those semi-proper, but still pretty, red, green, and white ingredients. It was close.

I bought Girard's champagne dressing which is pretty good stuff.

Again, thank you. Because of this thread, next time, I will get it absolutely right.

Boomer

graciegirl
12-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Fixed this for Christmas eve.

Mixed greens
Dried cranberries
Mozzarella cheese
Green onion chopped
Cut up hard boiled eggs
Halved cherry tomatoes

Marzetti poppy seed dressing

Yum.

skyc6
01-21-2011, 11:58 PM
I was already to reply to Boomer that I know about the mustard museum in Wisconsin. I have friends who go there every year, and we live just down the road in Rockford, Ill.
Then the next post was someone who beat me to the punch on that one! The Mustard museum is advertised on WGN out of Chicago all the time.
I am a new poster, long time reader, up here in the frozen north, wishing I was at the Villages! There's a light at the end of the tunnel, and we'll be there full time soon. Niters!

Boomer
01-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I was already to reply to Boomer that I know about the mustard museum in Wisconsin. I have friends who go there every year, and we live just down the road in Rockford, Ill.
Then the next post was someone who beat me to the punch on that one! The Mustard museum is advertised on WGN out of Chicago all the time.
I am a new poster, long time reader, up here in the frozen north, wishing I was at the Villages! There's a light at the end of the tunnel, and we'll be there full time soon. Niters!

Hi skyc6,

About that Mustard Museum.....

I started this thread on Christmas Eve day when I was desperately seeking the ingredients for the salad I was supposed to be making for dinner that night. As I am wont to do, I digressed and launched into that thing about the Mustard Museum, and then.......

you will never guess what happened....

That very night -- Christmas Eve -- after dinner with family, we were unwrapping gifts, when -- guess what Mr. Boomer got.....

Yep! A gift box of all kinds of mustard from -- you got it -- the Mustard Museum. So many kinds of mustard. Mr. B. loves mustard and that gift had every kind anybody could ever think of. It was from some of the family who live in WI.

I almost wrote about the coincidence of it all, but I did not get around to it.

Stuff like that happens around me fairly often. Probably that way with most people maybe. Either that, or people just figure I make this stuff up.

But I really don't.

For instance, in my kitchen, I hung up a photograph of 4 baby robins in a nest. The photo is near the kitchen window and outside the window is a little magnolia tree that is very close to the house -- touches the house actually......

Well, it was not long after I hung up the photo that some real-life robins showed up and built a nest in that little tree right outside the window, close to the photograph hanging on the kitchen wall. We watched two baby robins grow up and fly away. The photograph is still on the wall, of course. The empty nest is still out there in the snow-covered tree. We will see what spring brings.

I am not making this up. Another coincidence? I guess. But I will tell you that I have hung a lovely photograph of a Mercedes on the garage door, but so far.....nada. (sigh)

Optimistic Boomer

mak44070
01-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi skyc6,

.....I almost wrote about the coincidence of it all, but I did not get around to it.

Stuff like that happens around me fairly often. Probably that way with most people maybe. Either that, or people just figure I make this stuff up.

But I really don't.....

Optimistic Boomer

Have you ever heard of 'synchronicity'????
(from WiKipedia:)
Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events, that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, that are observed to occur together in a meaningful manner. The concept of synchronicity was first described by Swiss psychologist Carl Gustav Jung in the 1920s.

p.s. I hope you get your car!

Boomer
01-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Have you ever heard of 'synchronicity'????
(from WiKipedia:)
Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events, that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, that are observed to occur together in a meaningful manner. The concept of synchronicity was first described by Swiss psychologist Carl Gustav Jung in the 1920s.!

Hi mak,

Synchronicity? That is interesting. When I read your post, I did a little pointing and clicking around in cyberspace, to read up a little further......verrrrrry interesting........

I guess if I had heard of the idea of synchronicity before, I had since forgotten.......

But, ya know, I'm not as Jung as I used to be.

Boomer

K9-Lovers
01-22-2011, 11:39 PM

Very cute. :thumbup:

mak44070
01-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi mak,

Synchronicity? That is interesting. When I read your post, I did a little pointing and clicking around in cyberspace, to read up a little further......verrrrrry interesting........

I guess if I had heard of the idea of synchronicity before, I had since forgotten.......

Boomer

Ya know, I just KNEW you were going to say that! :girlneener:

graciegirl
01-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Boomer[/QUOTE]

Gahroannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!:ohdear:

But veddy clever....as usual!:icon_wink:

lightworker888
01-23-2011, 09:02 AM
"There are no accidents" and "Be careful what you wish for". They are all part of the same understanding. Your "sort" mechanism is working well and the robins are a perfect example of reality matching your "vision board". Sounds like you are a great creator of the life you want to live and have "the secret" down pat. It's called unconscious competency! That's what we are all striving for.

Enjoy your day!

LW888

graciegirl
01-23-2011, 11:09 AM
"There are no accidents" and "Be careful what you wish for". They are all part of the same understanding. Your "sort" mechanism is working well and the robins are a perfect example of reality matching your "vision board". Sounds like you are a great creator of the life you want to live and have "the secret" down pat. It's called unconscious competency! That's what we are all striving for.

Enjoy your day!

LW888

AH HAH...I have found a phrase that just might describe my way of doing things.

Unconcious competency.
:024:

:wave:

That has a nice ring to it.

swrinfla
01-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Here we are a month or so after dear Boomer's original post. I'm thinking we've strayed some from the original topic, but, you know what? It clearly demonstrates the happy attitudes displayed on TOTV! :BigApplause:

I'm so glad to have found this site, and I delight in telling my non-Villager friends all about it. It still amazes me how many of them think we've all lost our mind! I mean, making friendly contact with probably weird folks on line! Wow!

SWR

Boomer
01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Here we are a month or so after dear Boomer's original post. I'm thinking we've strayed some from the original topic, but, you know what? It clearly demonstrates the happy attitudes displayed on TOTV! :BigApplause:

I'm so glad to have found this site, and I delight in telling my non-Villager friends all about it. It still amazes me how many of them think we've all lost our mind! I mean, making friendly contact with probably weird folks on line! Wow!

SWR

Most certainly, SWR, you are absolutely right. This is my favorite kind of thread. Meandering. Oh, I know. -- I know some people call it hijacking. But my people call it conversation.

And my salad that started this whole thing a month ago turned out just fine. And look at all the other stuff that turned out just fine, too.

I learned new stuff. And I love it when that happens. I learned about synchronicity from mak. And from lightworker I learned about unconscious competency.

And, of course, SWR, we will always have the Mustard Museum.

I must confess that I made the part up about having hung up a photograph of a Mercedes on my garage door. But I think people knew I was kidding about that. But the robins and the mustard present -- absolutely true. I kept dragging anybody who came to my house to the window to look at those real robins next to the picture on the wall.

So here's to conversation and learning and to NOT coloring inside the lines and to thinking outside the box. :beer3:

Boomer

tony
01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
I thought she was serious about the Mercedes.

Boomer
01-24-2011, 05:24 PM
I thought she was serious about the Mercedes.

Dear Mr. Tony, Mr. Admin, Sir:

Geez. That figures. Such a literal interpretation of the statement. No wonder you are askeered of English majors. I bet you just loved poetry when you were in school. (She said with a knowing smile. -- Hey, did that help?)

Boomer

graciegirl
01-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Poetry.

I never could get into that one about that good man and his good wyfe.

He kept saying gang oot and bar the door.

What kinda guy is that???

tony
01-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Boomer,

Do you mean stuff like "The lady from Nantucket?"

Boomer
01-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Boomer,

Do you mean stuff like "The lady from Nantucket?"

TOTV has an admin named tony,
That guy is so full of baloney,
He started a rumor,
Accusing poor Boomer....
Of denying her major -- how phony!

Elizabeth Barrett Boomer

mak44070
01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
TOTV has an admin named tony,
That guy is so full of baloney,
He started a rumor,
Accusing poor Boomer....
Of denying her major -- how phony!

Elizabeth Barrett Boomer

I gotta meet you! :clap2:

tony
01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
That didn't say Nantucket.

graciegirl
01-24-2011, 09:20 PM
And he lost 'em.

Boomer
01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
That didn't say Nantucket.

Dear Mr. Tony, Mr. Admin, Sir:

Something tells me that you think all poetry has to rhyme and that you have never even heard of free verse and will continue to insist upon all poems rhyming. (sigh) But, alas, I cannot think of a single thing that rhymes with Nantucket.

I will have to think about this one, some more. But, for now, I must go watch "Harry's Law." It is set in Cincinnati, you know. Yep. Harry is a Cincinnati girl, too.

But as far as thinking of a rhyme for Nantucket goes, I will get around to it one of these days. In fact, I will add that to my bucket-list.

Boomer

K9-Lovers
01-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Nantucket . . . bucket . . .

Eve2278
02-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Yum!