PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Asparagus

jackz
05-22-2011, 02:00 PM
I have gotten fond of making a grilled asparagus dish based on the fact it is in season and plentiful now.

Wash fresh asparagus stalks and cut them where the hard part or white part starts or where they naturally break if you bend them.

Put them in a dish or corningware dish and liberally pour Xtra virgin olive oil over them adding freshly ground black pepper and freshly ground salt (sea salt if possible), Toss them so they are well covered and allow to marinate for 30 minutes or more.

You can use a grill outside or cook inside with a grill pan. Recently I have used a grill pan with good results. Place the asparagus spears in a hot preheated pan and grill on medium high heat to get some grill marks and blacken a bit. About 3 minutes per side. (You can cheat and cut a small piece off to see if it is done to your liking)

Remove the cooked asparagus and place in your dish or corningware dish and grind some additional sea salt only (Not pepper this time) over the asparagus. Allow to sit and cool.

When the asparagus are cool crumble some fresh feta cheese over them and toss to cover, Then Serve. (It is important not to put feta on them if they are hot or warm as it makes a mess).

Alternate is to use freshly shaved Parmesan in lieu of feta. I have had it both ways and enjoy the feta best.

K9-Lovers
05-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Oh, yum. Sounds wonderful with the Feta.

TednRobin
05-22-2011, 02:59 PM
What a quick/easy idea. Sounds wonderful. I will have to try this one. :wave:

redwitch
05-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Let me start by saying I love garlic. There is little that I fix that doesn't have garlic in it. I found another easy way to fix asparagus either on the grill or in the microwave is 1 lb. asparagus, 2-3 T butter, 5-10 crushed garlic cloves, 1 lemon. Wash, clean, drain asparagus. If on the grill, put in aluminum foil "boat" that will ultimately by closed up. For microwave just use a microwavable dish long enough for the asparagus. Squeeze lemon juice on asparagus, spread butter evenly, dump the garlic on top. When bbqing, I just put the aluminum packet as far away from the fire and ignore it. I've yet to have it get too soft even when I've left it there for well over an hour. When nuking, 3 minutes max.

swrinfla
05-22-2011, 04:12 PM
jackz:

Sounds very good. Made me go route out my favorite asparagus recipe, which requires baking.

1 to 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
salt & pepper to taste [I usually use sea salt and fresh ground pepper]
3 Tbsp butter or margarine [butter is, of course, better]

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place asparagus (having "broken" the spears by bending) in one layer in a flat dish just large enough to hold them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dot with butter/margarine. Cover tightly with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Serve at once. Asparagus will be crunchy and will not lose its color.

Haven't prepared asparagus any other way since this recipe came into my life, at least 30 years ago!

SWR
:beer3:

K9-Lovers
05-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Another veggie that is good broiled like this is fresh green beans, add a little garlic and you are in veggie heaven.

For asparagus and brussels sprouts, sometimes I cook on the stove top in a fry pan. Olive oil first, then the asparagus, add some honey, walnuts and dried cranberries. Talk about good . . .

jackz
05-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Great comments.

Let's keep the thread going and discuss grilling vegetables on the grill.

I know eggplant and zuchini work well and even some fresh slices of pineapple.

robertj1954
05-23-2011, 06:07 AM
I have been grilling Asparagus for years using the same method up to the Feta cheese. What a great idea for a different taste. I plan to use your recipe for my next steak grilling. Thanks for sharing. :icon_hungry:

tainsley
05-23-2011, 06:25 AM
I also like grilled asparagus. Another variation - in place of salt and pepper, chop fresh garlic and put in grilling dish. If you can find Dean Jacob's Bread Dipping Seasoning (Tuscany Blend) sprinkle some on top of asparagus. Delicious. I get the seasoning at an outlet in Williamsburg, VA called Le Gourmet Chef and I have also seen it at TJ Maxx. Never put feta cheese on but gonna try that tonight. Sounds delicious. Thanks!

kb8tpw
05-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Sam's Club has a vert tasty Marinated Green Aspragus (their own members mark brand), packaged in a large glass container that are very good. Might even be better grilled.....

rp001
04-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Pls don't forget grilled portabello mushrooms..I also do the obvious such as thick onion slices, sliced carrots, and for a fruit whole tomatos with the tops cut off and stuffed with parmesan cheese....for a sweet I do pineapple and even banannas...I've heard of grilled lettuce but haven't tried it yet..

OpusX1
04-16-2012, 05:20 PM
We have been grilling aspargus for years, I have sprinkled red pepper and parmasan cheese but the Feta sounds good as does blu cheese. Last year we had grilled asparagus wrapped in bacon. Oh man was it good. Take 2 or 3 spears wrap with bacon and secure with wet tooth picks. Have to watch over the grill because of the flame ups but it makes a meal in itself. This year when we get back to Ohio I think I will try bacon wraped blu cheese asparagus. :mmmm:

sandybill2
04-16-2012, 07:17 PM
the last two weeks---we have been going to Markets of Marion---have been buying asparagus for 1.00 a bunch----really good---we roast it in the oven--with different spices, etc. Worth the trip----don't know how long it will be a 1.00 a bunch but worth the trip---with all the other vegetables., that you can buy there for a dollar or two.

wendyquat
04-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Very good to use Montreal Steak seasoning with the olive oil instead of just pepper!

mgjim
04-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Now this is the kind of thread I can really use. It sounds like I'll have to make the BBQ rounds once I arrive in TV. Thanks for the great recipes.