PDA

View Full Version : How to make a LOT of potato salad

graciegirl
06-03-2011, 08:15 AM
I have made potato salad a lot of different ways and enjoy German potato salad with bacon and sugar ....but this is a very simple cold potato salad with just potatoes, boiled eggs, sweet vidalia onions and Hellmans Mayonnaise, salt and pepper.

Our grandson is graduating and I have been asked to bring the potato salad.
This is enough to fill a large punch bowl and the biggest Tupperware bowl.

15 pounds of potatoes. (a bag and a half) boiled and cut up
As many boiled eggs as potatoes. ..about three dozen, chopped
One large and two largish Vidalia onions, chopped.
Almost two large, but not huge, jars of Hellmanns. salt and pepper.

Mix together. Chill overnight. This is so much that you need to mix it in your biggest pot or a roasting pan and it will tire you out just to mix it. It is about 20 pounds of salad!

This is simple and I have not added pickle or celery and I am always shocked at the way it disappears.

Now I encourage you to give us all your favorite recipe for potato salad. In regular amounts. This was on my mind and I thought I would share these ingredients for a big group.
[/B]

2newyorkers
06-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Potato salad

Just adjust this recipe to the amount you need.

Boiled, peeled and chunked Potatos
1/2 cp chicken stock
2tbl cider vinegar

Mix together above so potatos are coated. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add and mix whatever you like. I add about 1/2 cup of each: chopped onions, pickles,boiled eggs, celery, and crumbled bacon. Do not use bacos, it changes the taste.

Add Hellmans mayo to cover. Refrigerate.

coach
06-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Gracie, great recepie. I do that same recepie with only two changes. I also add about 2 tablespoons on prepared mustard and a few good shakes of celery salt. See if you and the family care for those additions.

swimdawg
06-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I have made potato salad a lot of different ways and enjoy German potato salad with bacon and sugar ....but this is a very simple cold potato salad with just potatoes, boiled eggs, sweet vidalia onions and Hellmans Mayonnaise, salt and pepper.

Our grandson is graduating and I have been asked to bring the potato salad.
This is enough to fill a large punch bowl and the biggest Tupperware bowl.

15 pounds of potatoes. (a bag and a half) boiled and cut up
As many boiled eggs as potatoes. ..about three dozen, chopped
One large and two largish Vidalia onions, chopped.
Almost two large, but not huge, jars of Hellmanns. salt and pepper.

Mix together. Chill overnight. This is so much that you need to mix it in your biggest pot or a roasting pan and it will tire you out just to mix it. It is about 20 pounds of salad!

This is simple and I have not added pickle or celery and I am always shocked at the way it disappears.

Now I encourage you to give us all your favorite recipe for potato salad. In regular amounts. This was on my mind and I thought I would share these ingredients for a big group.
[/B]

Gracie, I have this exact same recipe......but it calls for no onions.

Dynasty
06-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks Gracie, you make me hungry. I remember my dad always said to add the mayo when the potatoes are hot so they will absorb the dressing.

Skip2MySue
06-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks Gracie, you make me hungry. I remember my dad always said to add the mayo when the potatoes are hot so they will absorb the dressing.

I've always felt that you boil the potatoes with the skins on and then peel them. I swear the potatoes taste better that way. Of course I also add mayo, sugar, apple cider vinegar, and sweet pickle juice to the dressing and use hard boiled eggs, celery, onion, chopped sweet pickles with salt & pepper. Wow, that's making me hungry.
Skip 2
P.S. Have even used cooked bacon strips chopped with some of the grease mixed into the potatoes.

PylutDood
06-03-2011, 04:35 PM
...but just a little "Down Home Southern Touch"...

Add a jar of SWEET pickle relish and a few good squirts of plain YELLOW Mustard!!!

That is exactly how I make tater salad!...all the time.

YUMMY !!!

Dave