PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Cinnamon (Sticky Buns)

RCR
02-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy Phila. Cinnimon (Sticky) buns in the area or does anyone in the Phila. club bake them for bake sales?? Thanks

Mudder
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Now my mouth is watering. I grew up eating them, actually they were one of my main food groups ! Haven't found any if Florida that can really compare.

tainsley
02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Let us know if you find some! My husbands favorite!

salpal
02-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Wouldn't it be a dream if we could all just materialize for about an hour at the Italian Market or the Reading Terminal in Philly, grab all our favorites and reappear back here....maybe by 2510 or so....

:mmmm:

Eve2278
02-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy Phila. Cinnimon (Sticky) buns in the area or does anyone in the Phila. club bake them for bake sales?? Thanks

I have a great recipe for Sticky Buns using a pkg of frozen dinner rolls. Gone before ya know it...:mmmm:

VillageSitter
02-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Let's see if you remember any of these favorite places to buy good sticky buns. Eislens Bakery in Roxborough, the old Montgomeryville Mart (they were to die for), the place on Bay Avenue in Ocean City, New Jersey, can't remember the name off the top of my head. See...now I am craving sticky buns. :mmmm:

LatDoc
02-25-2012, 04:55 AM
As a kid....every corner store had cinnamon buns...never called "sticky" in my hood.
After the passing of the "corner stores".....every local bakery had 'em...when the neighborhood bakeries closed up.....ended up eating at the malls from the Cinnabon chains...not bad but nothing like the real thing.
One of my favorite foods that are now hard to get....much harder to find than a cheesesteak or hoagie or a soft pretzel...
Only thing harder to find is butter cake...remember those?
Let me know if a place turns up who makes them or is willing to try...too lazy to try and do it myself

graciegirl
02-25-2012, 06:39 AM
philadelphia sticky buns - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=613&q=philadelphia+sticky+buns&gbv=2&oq=philadelphia+sticky+buns&aq=f&aqi=g-S1&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=2550l12799l0l14684l28l28l2l16l18l0l181l1419 l1.9l10l0)

Mudder
02-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Oh Gracie those pictres just about killed me !
We used to get them at the Acme store that was in the same little plaza as Lord and Taylor on City Line Ave. Then there was a place in Narberth, I think it was a bakery, that my friends and I "ocassionally" left school at lunch time, drove there as fast as we could( in a '57 Chevy), each bought two and ate as we drove back to school. No wonder Alegbra II was hard those afternoons !

hedoman
02-25-2012, 02:46 PM
We used to get them at the Acme store that was in the same little plaza as Lord and Taylor on City Line Ave. Then there was a place in Narberth, I think it was a bakery, that my friends and I "ocassionally" left school at lunch time, drove there as fast as we could( in a '57 Chevy), each bought two and ate as we drove back to school. No wonder Alegbra II was hard those afternoons !

Oh the words Acme, City Line and Narberth create pangs of home sickness. To go to the King of Prussia Mall to Cinnebon and get some right after Auntie Anne's pretzels.....THOSE WERE THE DAYS

Hello Philly!!!!!!!

CTgolfer
02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
I have a great recipe for Sticky Buns using a pkg of frozen dinner rolls. Gone before ya know it...:mmmm:

Would you mind sharing your recipe?

skyguy79
02-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Never having had Philly's sticky buns, I don't know how they would compare, but I've had sticky buns from Perkins Restaurant's Bakery on 466 and thought they were pretty good. We love the muffins, eclairs and pies they also sell there!

samhass
02-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Let's see if you remember any of these favorite places to buy good sticky buns. Eislens Bakery in Roxborough, the old Montgomeryville Mart (they were to die for), the place on Bay Avenue in Ocean City, New Jersey, can't remember the name off the top of my head. See...now I am craving sticky buns. :mmmm:

Oh my..the old Mongomeryville Mart! You could get those same buns up at the Q'town Farmers Market.
I bake them once in a while. Let me know if you need the recipe.

borjo
02-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Try Panera in LSL. My husband had one and said they were "sticky". There's also a restaurant in Gainesville called, I think, "Grands" that makes them every morning. There's not the real stickys but very good.

Eve2278
02-26-2012, 03:30 AM

I sent it to you, we never have any left after the first day...

graciegirl
02-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Please share it here Eve. I know I am not the only one that would love to have that recipe.

RCR
02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
I am the original poster on the subject of Phila. Cinnamon Buns. I added "Sticky Buns" as most people don't know what a Real Phila. Cinnamon Bun is. You are correct that in the Phila./Jersey area they are "Cinnamon buns and not sticky buns. I have had Perkins and Panerra "Sticky Buns" a good substitute by nothing like a good Phila. Cinnamon bun.

I'm including in this post a web site that sells Phila. Cinnamon buns over the net. and they are excellent true Phila. Cinnamon Buns. However they are located down the Jersey Shore and only open during vacation season. So if you really have a craving. PIG OUT in the summer. Kohler's Bakery
Are you tired of trying to explain what a Philadelphia Sticky Bun is to those that have no
idea?...

Kohler's Bakery (http://www.kohlersbakery.com/)

They arrive well packaged and are the "REAL THING" only complaint I have is that they are not quite as fresh on arrival as I would like. But, Still great. Enjoy the coming summer!

skyguy79
02-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I am the original poster on the subject of Phila. Cinnamon Buns. I added "Sticky Buns" as most people don't know what a Real Phila. Cinnamon Bun is. You are correct that in the Phila./Jersey area they are "Cinnamon buns and not sticky buns. I have had Perkins and Panerra "Sticky Buns" a good substitute by nothing like a good Phila. Cinnamon bun.

I'm including in this post a web site that sells Phila. Cinnamon buns over the net. and they are excellent true Phila. Cinnamon Buns. However they are located down the Jersey Shore and only open during vacation season. So if you really have a craving. PIG OUT in the summer. Kohler's Bakery
Are you tired of trying to explain what a Philadelphia Sticky Bun is to those that have no
idea?...

They arrive well packaged and are the "REAL THING" only complaint I have is that they are not quite as fresh on arrival as I would like. But, Still great. Enjoy the coming summer!Thanks for the link. I've put it on my Outlook Calendar as a reminder for June 25 when their shipping begins!

graciegirl
02-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the link. I've put it on my Outlook Calendar as a reminder for June 25 when their shipping begins!

I will try to get a recipe before then and make some and share them with you and Eileen before then.

Remember the drill.

If you don't like 'em, lie.

skyguy79
02-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I will try to get a recipe before then and make some and share them with you and Eileen before then.

Remember the drill.

If you don't like 'em, lie.Oh my goodness! Now I have to have a bib on to catch the drool! :mmmm:
p.s. Don't forget to make mini's for the kitties! http://1389blog.com/pix/cat-wagging-tail.gif

Eve2278
03-01-2012, 11:03 PM

Hope you enjoy...

Eve2278
03-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Prepare in evening. Bake next morning
Bunt Pan at 350 degrees

Sticky Buns

1 bag frozen dinner rolls (I use Rich’s or Parkers any others will do)
½ cup plus of pecans chopped
1 box (3.4oz) of Butterscotch pudding
½ cup of brown sugar packed (you can use Splenda)
½ cup of REAL butter = 1 stick (marg. doesn’t work as well)
1 TBS of Cinnamon

Spray bunt pan with non-stick spray. Throw generous amount of pecans in the bottom of pan. Place frozen rolls evenly into pan. Some rolls will need to be stacked on top of others. Sprinkle dry butterscotch pudding evenly over the rolls and then the cinnamon.

Melt the butter in a pan and add the brown sugar. The butter will lay atop the sugar, you need to mix with a whisk until very well blended. (takes only a few minutes) Pour mixture over rolls and sprinkle top with remaining pecans. You can add more nuts if you like.

Cover bunt pan with dish towel overnight and leave on counter. The rolls will rise and be ready to bake in the morning.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven cool 5 minutes. Invert onto serving dish. Enjoy….they won’t last for long : )

CTgolfer
03-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the recipe. I actually put together the ingredients last night. Obviously, I need help from experienced bakers. I purchased frozen Parker dinner rolls in a tin. I just took a look at the bundt pan and they didn't rise. What rolls should I have purchased?

skyguy79
06-10-2012, 08:33 AM

idea?...

They arrive well packaged and are the "REAL THING" only complaint I have is that they are not quite as fresh on arrival as I would like. But, Still great. Enjoy the coming summer!

Thanks for the link. I've put it on my Outlook Calendar as a reminder for June 25 when their shipping begins!As a followup to my above post, I'm reminding those interested that the ability to order the buns is coming up. I just emailed Kohlers about when we can start ordering and here's their response:
"Hello Joe

We will be open Fathers Day weekend {6/16 & 6/17} and then opening full time June 22nd. We would be happy to place your shipping order for you then.

Thank you for your interest and look forward to hearing from you.

Colleen Quinn-Maxwell
Kohler's Bakery Owner"
(609) 967-3694 between 8am-1pm and speak to a representative.
In order to assure accuracy, no e-mail orders will be accepted.
Kohler's Bakery - Products (http://www.kohlersbakery.com/products/products.htm)

:mmmm:

graciegirl
06-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Anyone who can make yeast dough can make them. You just put melted butter and pecans and a little honey, cinnamon and some maple syrup and brown sugar in the bottom of a 13X9 glass baking dish. If you don't want to make the dough you can buy Sister Shulers unbaked yeast rolls at Publix in the freezer section and poke pecans and all the rest of ingredients above down in and push them onto the top of pecan syrupy mixture above and you have a pretty good facsimile. (If you are baking with Sister Schulers rolls, use a smaller baking pan)..you can use metal too.

Don't read this VillagesPl.

iF YOU EAT A LOT OF THESE, IT IS POSSIBLE YOUR LIFE WILL BE SHORTENED, BUT YOU WILL DIE WITH A SMILE ON YOUR FACE.

Joaniesmom
06-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Here's a slightly weird suggestion. In State College, PA they are all agog over what they call "Stickies." Well, I am too! Very often the Penn State Alumni groups sell them to make a little money. Maybe you could contact the local Nittany Lions and ask them about Stickies. Good Luck!

Sunshine Mary
06-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Can you post the recipe sounds good and easy to make :mmmm:

skyguy79
06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Prepare in evening. Bake next morning
Bunt Pan at 350 degrees

Sticky Buns

1 bag frozen dinner rolls (I use Rich’s or Parkers any others will do)
½ cup plus of pecans chopped
1 box (3.4oz) of Butterscotch pudding
½ cup of brown sugar packed (you can use Splenda)
½ cup of REAL butter = 1 stick (marg. doesn’t work as well)
1 TBS of Cinnamon

Spray bunt pan with non-stick spray. Throw generous amount of pecans in the bottom of pan. Place frozen rolls evenly into pan. Some rolls will need to be stacked on top of others. Sprinkle dry butterscotch pudding evenly over the rolls and then the cinnamon.

Melt the butter in a pan and add the brown sugar. The butter will lay atop the sugar, you need to mix with a whisk until very well blended. (takes only a few minutes) Pour mixture over rolls and sprinkle top with remaining pecans. You can add more nuts if you like.

Cover bunt pan with dish towel overnight and leave on counter. The rolls will rise and be ready to bake in the morning.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven cool 5 minutes. Invert onto serving dish. Enjoy….they won’t last for long : )

Can you post the recipe sounds good and easy to make :mmmm:You must have missed her posting of the recipe. I've quoted it above for you!

Sunshine Mary
06-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Mmmmmmm thanks

mamabake
08-29-2012, 11:54 AM
AHHH..Montgomerville Mart Sticky Buns...YUMMMMMYYY. And great soft pretzels, too. Does anyone have a recipe for those sticky buns. I have a recipe for sticky buns (cinnamon buns) that have chopped apples in the dough...very good and pretty sticky, too!!! But, would love to have the authentic recipe from Montgomeryville Mart. We live in Arizona and have for the past 23 years, and have yet to find any that great!!!