PDA

View Full Version : Electrical?

OpusX1
03-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Outlet on our lanai went out. Had a lamp pluged in. The GFCI in the garage popped. I am assuming the garage GFCI is wired into the lanai outlet. Unpluged the lamp so nothing is pluged into any unworking outlets, the garage GFCI will not reset so now I am assuming that the garage GFCI is shot and needs to be replaced, is this a good assumption?

Bill-n-Brillo
03-09-2012, 08:13 PM
It could be a correct assumption.

But....FWIW, here's something that might help you narrow things down:

Can't Reset a GFCI Outlet? (http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/gfis.htm)

Bill :)

asianthree
03-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Just had the same thing happen in our master bath. When our own inspector said they was a problem with reset the villages said it was fine. Well it is not working at all now and we have to get it fixed

Skip2MySue
03-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Good Lord Bill you're a fountain of information. You're certainly one of the members that make this site great.:BigApplause:
Skip 2

mrfixit
03-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Good Lord Bill you're a fountain of information. You're certainly one of the members that make this site great.:BigApplause:
Skip 2

...To the casual observer, your assumption is logical.....HOWEVER.....
... it has been said >>>>> BRILLO IS the brains of that outfit.<<<<<<<

Thanks BRILLO.

REDCART
03-09-2012, 09:30 PM
When an electrician installed our outside outlet for us last year, he asked if we planned to use anything with an electric motor, i.e. an electric lawn mower? He said that a homeowner's GFCI kept burning out requiring several replacements until he finally asked what the homeowner was using that outlet for (an electric lawn mower). The electrician claimed that he then upgraded the GFCI and it never burned out subsequently. So from this conversation there must be some difference in the quality and sensitivity of a more expensive and robust GFCI outlet.

philnpat
03-09-2012, 11:15 PM
When you attempt to reset the breaker...make sure you turn it to the off position before going to the on position. If it pops back to the tripped position (center) there is something still plugged in that is causing a problem or the breaker is most likely bad.

Bill-n-Brillo
03-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Skip 2

Skip 2........thanks a bunch! Always trying to help - - - Bill :)

...To the casual observer, your assumption is logical.....HOWEVER.....
... it has been said >>>>> BRILLO IS the brains of that outfit.<<<<<<<

Thanks BRILLO.

mrfixit...........thanks a bunch! You are certainly a wise man - - - Brillo :)

When you attempt to reset the breaker.......

I might be wrong......but I think the O.P. is dealing with a GFCI receptacle that's kicking out rather than a GFCI breaker.

Bill :wave:

OpusX1
03-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Yes it is an outlet. The breaker for that circut has not tripped.
Today I checked the four other outlets on the circut, all dead. Talked to a retired electricain and he suspects the outlet is bad. That circut was being used by a larger electric motor the day it went out, we had our concrete areas cleaned and they used a device simalar to a floor scrubber with high pressure water. Worked great by the way, concrete looks almost new. I think I will install a new GFCI outlet tomorrow.

2 Oldcrabs
03-11-2012, 06:40 AM
You may want to replace the outlet on the lanai first. It may be a 15A rated outlet, that is burnt from the heavy load of the equipment. If that does not fix it, then replace the GFI in the garage. You need to make sure you buy a feed thru type. (there are "line" and "load" screws) If it is in the garage it should be rated for 20A. Need to shut breaker off at panel box to replace.

natickdan
03-11-2012, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the URL, Bill. It is certainly worthy of a bookmark.

Bill-n-Brillo
03-11-2012, 09:29 AM
No problem, Dan - you're welcome!

BobbyK
03-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Most of the wire in the homes is 14-2 and it should be 12-2. 14-2 is cheaper that's why all those 15a GFI's are used.

OpusX1
03-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Replaced the garage GFCI and all is well. Line and load is clearly marked as was the breaker box so no problem. The old GFCI in the garage was a 20 amp and that is what I replaced it with.

Bill-n-Brillo
03-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the update on the fix, Opus - glad to hear it was a simple one!

Oren L Miller
03-11-2012, 03:25 PM
They were putting up our birdcage last Thursday and they were using heavy tools and a lot of extension cords on the back of the house. They lost power and they and I went to the garage and nothing was tripped. I checked the reset GFCI in both bathrooms and the kitchen and they all tested fine. I finally found that there was a reset GFCI in the lanai and only then did the power come back on those receptacles. Now I know where all of my resets are for all of my GFCI's. I kept thinking something in the circuit breaker panel would have had to be blown.

getdul981
03-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Need to shut breaker off at panel box to replace.

C'mon now, sometimes you just gotta take a chance. Live life on the edge. (Just kidding)

kidshelleen51
03-11-2012, 05:26 PM
My garage GFCI used to blow everytime it rained, taking the front signpost out with it. An inspection of the outside outlets showed a pretty poor job of sealing the outlet gaskets/covers. A little repositioning of those gaskets along with a few dabs of caulk and I haven't had a problem since.

Biker Dog
03-12-2012, 04:53 AM
My garage GFCI used to blow everytime it rained, taking the front signpost out with it. An inspection of the outside outlets showed a pretty poor job of sealing the outlet gaskets/covers. A little repositioning of those gaskets along with a few dabs of caulk and I haven't had a problem since.

:wave:I had the same problem but also when the neighbor's sprinklers would come on the GFI would kick out. I am considering putting the outlet in one of the plastic boxes sold at Lowes.

dsettl
06-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Replace it with a non GFCI and never have another problem with it