PDA

View Full Version : Please give me your favorite main dish for potluck.

graciegirl
06-06-2012, 06:38 PM
And I will give you mine.

Johnny Marzetti

1 lb. ground beef browned with one diced onion.
Drain fat and add salt and pepper, tablespoon yellow mustard,small can of tomato sauce, two or three shakes of worcestershire sauce, half cup of brown sugar, tablespoon of vinegar.

Cook half package of noodles...wide ones, I like Kluski if you can find them here and drain. Mix together with meat and put mixture in cassarole dish with seven slices of American cheese and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Serve at once or refrigerate and reheat.

Mainstay of my childhood in Columbus, Ohio and taken to all get togethers because it was cheap, easy and yummy.

pooh
06-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Actually my favorite isn't one I make but one Mike makes....homemade macaroni and cheese. You can use many varieties of cheese, but he uses a cheddar, colby jack combo. Simple dish, really, a white sauce, melted cheese, pasta, 20 minutes baking to get a nice crispy crust on the top and yum! My son, the chef, loves his Dad's Mac and Cheese, too.... ;)

DandyGirl
06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Mine is crock pot BBQ.

Season a 5-7 lb pork roast with garlic salt and onion salt. Place in crock pot and cook on low 5-6 hours. Remove to cool and discard liquid. Shred meat and return to crock pot. Add a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (or more depending on your taste) and cook for an additional 1 1/2 hours.

hotrodgirl
06-06-2012, 08:28 PM
My Mom's Chicken Divan
3-4 chicken breasts boiled one hr with seasonings of choice
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup bread crumbs
16-20 oz frozen broccoli cooked
1 tsp lemon juice
Curry to taste (1/2-1 tsp)
3/4 cup cheddar, grated
Salt & pepper
Combine soup, mayo, most of bread crumbs, most of cheddar,lemon juice, salt, pepper. Drain broccoli & place in bottom of greased 9X13x2 casserole dish. Take chicken off bones in medium chunks (I prefer small) layer on top of broccoli. Pour sauce over all. Sprinkle remaining cheese and crumbs on top.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. :icon_hungry:

ilovetv
06-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I grew up having various versions of this recipe at potlucks. It is delicious and simple to make. This online recipe called for "diced" peeled potatoes before boiling, but we always had them sliced (lots of German grandmas around back then, and none of them diced the potatoes...only sliced). We actually sliced up already boiled potatoes.....and never had a recipe, but this looks right:

Authentic German Potato Salad

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups peeled, sliced potatoes
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside to cool.
2. Place the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add onion to the bacon grease, and cook over medium heat until browned. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and parsley. Crumble in half of the bacon. Heat through, then transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve warm.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 6/6/2012

jane032657
06-06-2012, 10:04 PM
My secret Spanakopita recipe is what everyone loves me to bring. It is my specialty dish. You will have to invite me to a pot luck when I get there so I can bring it!!!!

thekeithfan
06-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Tortolini Salad.
2 packages of tri-color tortolini
a brick of extra sharp cheddar
red pepper
green pepper
about a half a stick of peperoni
small can of black olives (cut in half)
and put Italian salad dressing over it.

Great stuff!

jebartle
06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
reamy Coconut & Mango Chicken – fabulocious!
Serves 2

Ingredients
2 Chicken Breasts - scored lightly across the top
1 Mango - peeled and sliced thinly
˝ Bunch Spring Onions
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 jar Coconut Run Down sauce
2 sweet potatoes - washed and cut into wedges

Turn on the oven and heat to 220°C. Place the potato wedges on a greased tray and season. Place in the oven

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the chicken breasts. Lightly sauté and then place in an oven proof dish

Sprinkle over the pieces of scallion and add the strips of mango. Pour over the jar of Coconut Run Down and place in the oven @ 220°C for approx 20 minutes.

While the chicken is in the oven bring a pan of water to the boil and add the garlic, thyme, coconut, spring onion and kidney beans (including juice) and bring back to the boil.

Rinse the rice until the starch has gone and add to the pan.

Cook for 20 - 25 minutes until tender and drain

Take a plate and place a spoonful of rice, top with a chicken breast and drizzle with sauce. Accompany with a good helping of potato wedges and a dollop of Love Apple Tomato ketchup

senior citizen
06-07-2012, 07:48 AM
And I will give you mine.

Johnny Marzetti

1 lb. ground beef browned with one diced onion.
Drain fat and add salt and pepper, tablespoon yellow mustard,small can of tomato sauce, two or three shakes of worcestershire sauce, half cup of brown sugar, tablespoon of vinegar.

Cook half package of noodles...wide ones, I like Kluski if you can find them here and drain. Mix together with meat and put mixture in cassarole dish with seven slices of American cheese and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Serve at once or refrigerate and reheat.

Mainstay of my childhood in Columbus, Ohio and taken to all get togethers because it was cheap, easy and yummy.

Usually lasagna , which is the alltime favorite....but since it is so hot and humid in Florida.......this would be refreshing:

Cousin Annie's 7-Layer Salad with Thousand Island Dressing in Recipes on The Food Channel® (http://www.foodchannel.com/recipes/recipe/cousin-annies-7-layer-salad-with-thousand-isl/)

Keep scrolling all the way down on the recipe site............

7-Layer Salad with Thousand Island Dressing.

Just chill thoroughly.....and bring along.

Also on the healthy side is "Three Bean Salad" and not so healthy is "Five Cup Ambrosia" with mandarin oranges.

For the kidlets. All of these recipes need to be chilled.

They always disappear first at get togethers.

Decided to add my lasagna recipe:
NAPLES STYLE LASAGNA (Prep time: 45 minutes; bake time 45 minutes to an hour)
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound Italian sausage out of its casing
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped mushrooms
As many garlic cloves, minced, as you'd like
Largest can of Contadina or San Marzano CRUSHED tomatoes
Small can tomato paste
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Oregano and basil to taste (2 tsp. each)
1 tsp. marjoram
Fennel seed if you like it....
Package of lasagna noodles
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese , grated
1/4 cup fresh parsley, snipped
16 oz. mozarella, shredded or sliced if using a ball of mozarella
In skillet over medium heat, cook beef, sausage, onion, garlic and mushrooms until meat is browned; drain fat.
Stir in crushed tomatoes , red wine, bay leaf, basil, marjoram, salt and pepper, oregano, etc.
Bring to boil.....reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Discard bay leaf.
While sauce is cooking..........BOIL the lasagna noodles in LARGE POT of boiling water; add some olive oil so they don't stick.
Boil until just tender......rinse in cold water and either layer on clean cloth or 'drape over side of pot" so they don't get curled up.
MIX EGGS, RICOTTA CHEESE, PARMESAN CHEESE AND PARSLEY TOGETHER.
PUT SOME OF THE LASAGNA NOODLES IN BOTTOM OF GREASED 13 by 9 by 2 (or bigger) baking dish, bigger if you have it.
Spread with 1/2 the cheese mixture, met and mozarella, repeat the layers of pasta, cheese mixture and meat.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 to 45 minutes at 375 degrees in the oven.
Uncover and add remaining mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting.........

Bonny
06-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Party Potatoes. I think everyone has had these. There's a few different recipes.
Frozen hash browns, thawed
Mix in finely chopped onion, cream of chicken soup, sour cream & cheddar cheese & bake.
They are even good room temperature & I'll eat them cold. LOL

senior citizen
06-07-2012, 09:21 AM
I grew up having various versions of this recipe at potlucks. It is delicious and simple to make. This online recipe called for "diced" peeled potatoes before boiling, but we always had them sliced (lots of German grandmas around back then, and none of them diced the potatoes...only sliced). We actually sliced up already boiled potatoes.....and never had a recipe, but this looks right:

Authentic German Potato Salad

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups peeled, sliced potatoes
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the potatoes into a pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain, and set aside to cool.
2. Place the bacon in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry until browned and crisp, turning as needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add onion to the bacon grease, and cook over medium heat until browned. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, then add the potatoes and parsley. Crumble in half of the bacon. Heat through, then transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the remaining bacon over the top, and serve warm.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 6/6/2012

I just printed out your German Potato Salad Recipe as we always loved it at a dear neighbor's home.......this one sounds exactly like hers; she was of German heritage; made it often. We miss her.

I also decided to add my Lasagna recipe (for the cooler weather)....

Decided to add my lasagna recipe:
NAPLES STYLE LASAGNA (Prep time: 45 minutes; bake time 45 minutes to an hour)
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound Italian sausage out of its casing
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped mushrooms
As many garlic cloves, minced, as you'd like
Largest can of Contadina or San Marzano CRUSHED tomatoes
Small can tomato paste
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Oregano and basil to taste (2 tsp. each)
1 tsp. marjoram
Fennel seed if you like it....
Package of lasagna noodles
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese , grated
1/4 cup fresh parsley, snipped
16 oz. mozarella, shredded or sliced if using a ball of mozarella
In skillet over medium heat, cook beef, sausage, onion, garlic and mushrooms until meat is browned; drain fat.
Stir in crushed tomatoes , red wine, bay leaf, basil, marjoram, salt and pepper, oregano, etc.
Bring to boil.....reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Discard bay leaf.
While sauce is cooking..........BOIL the lasagna noodles in LARGE POT of boiling water; add some olive oil so they don't stick.
Boil until just tender......rinse in cold water and either layer on clean cloth or "drape over side of pot" so they don't get curled up.
MIX EGGS, RICOTTA CHEESE, PARMESAN CHEESE AND PARSLEY TOGETHER.
PUT SOME OF THE LASAGNA NOODLES IN BOTTOM OF GREASED 13 by 9 by 2 (or bigger) baking dish, bigger if you have it.
Spread with 1/2 the cheese mixture, meat and mozarella, repeat the layers of pasta, cheese mixture and meat.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 to 45 minutes at 375 degrees in the oven.....until BUBBLY.
Uncover and add remaining mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting.........

I ALWAYS MAKE MORE SAUCE THAN THIS RECIPE CALLS FOR..........my Italian family made their lasagna a bit more dry (as per above recipe)
We like more sauce......so if you double the sauce part you will have sauce for "passing" and for leftovers if there are any.....
Lasagna is a lot of work but worth it. It also freezes well, so while going through all the mess.......make two, one to bake now and one to freeze to bake at a later time.
Just increase the baking time for the frozen one.

Also, although I didn't mention it above, the traditional way in Naples to add the tomato paste would be to
"fry it" first with the garlic in a touch of olive oil........then add the crushed tomatoes. Not really frying it, but that's how they say it.
It's also the Sicilian way. Home made lasagna is a lot more flavorful than any type of frozen entre out there nowadays like Stauffers which is just noodles and sauce.
I should be saying "gravy" .............

BaylorBear
06-07-2012, 09:48 AM
This is my "go to" casserole for all types of pot lucks. Men absolutely love it and they are a bit picky about casseroles

PASTA AL FORNO

Ingredients:

1 pound ziti rigate
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can, crushed tomatoes
1 diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 pinches ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, browned & crumbly
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 cup ricotta
Softened butter to coat a medium casserole or baking dish

Directions:
Bring large pot of water to boil, then salt and cook pasta to al dente on the chewy side, 7 minutes. Once your pasta water comes to a boil to cook ziti, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

To medium skillet over medium heat add extra-virgin olive oil. Brown the Italian sausage. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic and saute 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a bubble. Add cream and ricotta and season sauce with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Add sausage blend to sauce and stir with cooked pasta to combine.

Coat a medium casserole with the butter. Adjust seasonings and transfer pasta to casserole. Cover pasta with the Asiago and Parmigiano-Reggiano and place in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve hot from oven.

senior citizen
06-07-2012, 10:03 AM
This is my "go to" casserole for all types of pot lucks. Men absolutely love it and they are a bit picky about casseroles

PASTA AL FORNO

Ingredients:

1 pound ziti rigate
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can, crushed tomatoes
1 diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 pinches ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, browned & crumbly
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 cup ricotta
Softened butter to coat a medium casserole or baking dish

Directions:
Bring large pot of water to boil, then salt and cook pasta to al dente on the chewy side, 7 minutes. Once your pasta water comes to a boil to cook ziti, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

To medium skillet over medium heat add extra-virgin olive oil. Brown the Italian sausage. Add onions, bell pepper and garlic and saute 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a bubble. Add cream and ricotta and season sauce with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Add sausage blend to sauce and stir with cooked pasta to combine.

Coat a medium casserole with the butter. Adjust seasonings and transfer pasta to casserole. Cover pasta with the Asiago and Parmigiano-Reggiano and place in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve hot from oven.

That is one of my very favorite baked dishes.......YUM as my grandchildren would say. My only difference is nutmeg instead of cinnamon but otherwise, exactly the same. I think I'm going to make some this weekend........thanks for sharing. GREAT RECIPE.

Here is the THREE BEAN SALAD I mentioned earlier. Great fiber.
Chill overnight for best results. Gets better each day.

Three Bean Salad (http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/three_bean_salad/)

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/assets_c/2008/10/three-bean-salad-thumb-350xauto-743.jpg (http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/three_bean_salad/)
Ingredients

1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 celery stalks, chopped fine
1/2 red onion, chopped fine
1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Method

1 In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley and rosemary.
2 In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss to coat.
3 Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, to allow the beans to soak up the flavor of the dressing.
Yield: Serves 4 to 8.

wilkinsm1
06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
The Pasta Al Forno sound so good I copied it and we're having it tonight! Actually all the recipes sound great. Here it one I like:

Chicken Tremendous
1 1/2 c. uncooked rice a pkg. dry onion soup 1 can cream of mushroom soup 1 pkg frozen vegetables 1 can cream of celery soup 1 can mushrooms (opt) 3 Tbsp.water 6 Tbsp.water Cutup chicken
or chicken breasts
In a buttered casserole place ingredients in layers in order given. Reserve 1/2 can mushroom soup; may add more than 6 Tbsp. water to soup to make extra juice. place 12 pieces of chicken over all; pour reser ved mushroom soup over chicken. C0ver casserole with foil and bake 1 1/2 hours at 350. Uncover and leave at 200 degrees until ready to serve.

texasfal
06-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Uglies

1 can of biscuits
1 lb of ground chuck
1 jar marinara sauce (you won't use ir all)
grated cheese (any kind)

Slightly roll out the biscuits and put one each in a muffin tin. Make a little cup with the biscuit. Brown the meat - you can add onions or green peppers if you like. Drain and mix in 1 cup of the marinara. (I always end up putting in more because it never looks jucy enough for me). Spoon the meat mixture into the biscuit cups. Top with cheese. Pinch the biscuit tops together, doesn't have to be sealed. Then bake until the biscuits are done. The meat mixture will bubble out and it will look ugly, but Ohh La La, these are crowd pleasers.

graciegirl
06-07-2012, 12:05 PM
That is one of my very favorite baked dishes.......YUM as my grandchildren would say. My only difference is nutmeg instead of cinnamon but otherwise, exactly the same. I think I'm going to make some this weekend........thanks for sharing. GREAT RECIPE.

Here is the THREE BEAN SALAD I mentioned earlier. Great fiber.
Chill overnight for best results. Gets better each day.

Three Bean Salad (http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/three_bean_salad/)

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/assets_c/2008/10/three-bean-salad-thumb-350xauto-743.jpg (http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/three_bean_salad/)
Ingredients

1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 celery stalks, chopped fine
1/2 red onion, chopped fine
1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbsp fresh finely chopped rosemary

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Method

1 In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley and rosemary.
2 In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss to coat.
3 Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, to allow the beans to soak up the flavor of the dressing.
Yield: Serves 4 to 8.

Oh yummy. Looking to use the rosemary plant that is thriving out my back door.

jimbo2012
06-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I know we'll never be asked come suggesting this :1rotfl:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GdKHtLG70YE/T637142McfI/AAAAAAAAAsQ/TNm5BWGusmk/s640/IMG_4148.JPG

1 1/2 C red quinoa
1 13.5 oz can lite coconut milk
1 C water
1/2 C shredded unsweetened coconut
2 limes, juice and zest
4 tsp chili powder
2 C fresh or frozen pineapple, chopped
2 C fresh or frozen mango, chopped

Directions:

In a medium pot over medium heat, bring the coconut milk and water to a boil.
Add quinoa and lower heat to low. Cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded coconut, lime juice and zest and chili powder (reserve a tsp or so of the coconut and zest for garnish).
Gently stir in the pineapple and mango.
Garnish with reserved shredded coconut and lime zest.

----

Another quick one is on a barbecue

Kale
peppers
3/4" think slices of tomato
asparagus

Season as you like or spray Bragg's amino.

jblum315
06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
You're right. Please don't bring that to my potluck.

pooh
06-07-2012, 01:00 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GdKHtLG70YE/T637142McfI/AAAAAAAAAsQ/TNm5BWGusmk/s640/IMG_4148.JPG

1 1/2 C red quinoa
1 C water
2 limes, juice and zest
4 tsp chili powder

Directions:

Add quinoa and lower heat to low. Cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded coconut, lime juice and zest and chili powder (reserve a tsp or so of the coconut and zest for garnish).

----

Kale
peppers
asparagus

Actually, I enjoy quinoa and if I liked coconut more, I might make this dish.

Grew up eating kale....it's a strong flavored green, but I love it. When you BBQ it, how do you do that....??? Amino what?

jimbo2012
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
When you BBQ it, how do you do that....??? Amino what?

Sure here more (http://bragg.com/products/la.html) info

Most super markets have it.

gardenia
06-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi Gracie,
I just saw your "Johnny Marzeti" recipe and was shocked/blown away. That was a staple/regular recipe in the homes and parties where I grew up in Panama (west indian family in Latino country), and I have never heard or seen mention of it since I left Panama more than 40 years ago. I am not a pasta lover nor do I like tomato base sauces, but I think the worcestershire and american cheese ingredients made this a favorite of mine. We used good elbow macaroni, no sugar or parmesan, but I am sure it's about the same. Thanks so much for invoking a great memory and sharing, I must make my "roots food" again now that I see this!

Ruby (Gardenia)

pooh
06-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Sure here more (http://bragg.com/products/la.html) info

Most super markets have it.

Thanks, though I think I'll get my amino acids from chicken this time Jim.... ;)

I've seen the product before and really never took a look at what it was. Next time I see it, I'll check it out.

cathyw
06-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Jimbo, you can come to my block party anytime! Sounds delicious !!

senior citizen
06-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Oh yummy. Looking to use the rosemary plant that is thriving out my back door.

You are fortunate to have that thriving rosemary plant........for which there are many uses.

Use the whole sprig or only the leaves. To remove the leaves, hold the top of the stem between your thumb and your index finger. use the same fingers on your other hand to strip the needles from the stem in a downward motion.

Soak longer stems in water for about 30 minutes and use them as skewers. Prepare your favorite marinated shrimp recipe, thread them onto the rosemary skewers and grill until the shrimp is opaque. It usually takes only a few minutes per side, depending on the size of the shrimp. It also works well with scallops and small pieces of meats and veggies.

Chop the leaves for use in soups and stews. Rosemary has a strong and distinct taste that can overpower other flavors, so use it sparingly when paring it with other herbs. Experiment until you find the right combination.

ROAST POTATOES WITH GARLIC AND FRESH ROSEMARY (my personal favorite). Place about 1/4 cup of olive oil, several cloves of smashed garlic and some chopped rosemary leaves on a baking sheet. Toss some quartered new potatoes or other root vegetables with the oil, garlic and rosemary, and season with coarse salt or sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Roast at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes.

ADD A FEW SPRIGS OF ROSEMARY TO THE CAVITY OF A CHICKEN ALONG WITH A SMALL ONION, 1/2 LEMON AND SEVERAL CLOVES OF GARLIC BEFORE ROASTING...........THIS IS THE PERFECT ROAST CHICKEN.

PLACE A FEW TABLESPOONS OF OLIVE OIL, SEVERAL SMASHED GARLIC CLOVES AND SOME CHOPPED FRESH ROSEMARY LEAVES ON A PLATTER. AS SOON AS YOU REMOVE YOUR FAVORITE STEAK FROM THE GRILL, PLACE IT ON THE PLATTER. TURN IT ONCE TO COAT BOTH SIDES WITH THE OIL AND HERBS AND LET IT REST FOR A FEW MINUTES BEFORE SERVING.
Enjoy your rosemary plant ....!!

senior citizen
06-07-2012, 04:34 PM
No one is bringing dessert????????

This is a simple to make but yummy pie we first had at Morrison's Cafeteria in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina back in the late 1970's. I've given everyone the recipe after they all raved about it. I fully realize that JELLO is not in vogue now, but it makes for a very pretty strawberry pie.......this is Morrison's recipe.

FRESH STRAWBERRY PIE:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons strawberry gelatin mix
1 Pint fresh strawberries
3 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
1 pie crust, baked and cooled.

Combine sugar, cornstarch and dry strawberry gelatin mix by stirring well.
Add water and cook until thick and clear, over medium high heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Set aside and let cool.

Wash and hull strawberries, cut in half and arrange over the plain pie crust.

When the filling is cool, pour over strawberries and chill pie until ready to serve.

Serve with whipped cream or cool whip.....garnish with more fresh strawberries.

This is my husband's favorite pie. There are other versions that use cream cheese in the bottom.....but this tastes like pure strawberry.

p.s. REMEMBER to bake the pie shell first........then let cool You do NOT bake this strawberry pie. The hot jello mixture sets the strawberries.

KathieI
06-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Don't they all sound delicious!!!!!

Great job, guys. But the #1 person being invited to my pot luck will be Senior Citizen... How quickly you came up with all those delicious sounding recipes, you must be a great cook.!!!!

My specialty is home made Manicotti and GRAVY!!!! As a matter of fact I made it this past Sunday for a BBQ at a friend's house. It was a smashing success (at least that's what they told me and since almost all of it was gone, that's my indicator that it was good). I make my own crepes but I had a hard time making them on the electric stove top, I couldn't get the pan hot enough. I hate cooking on this electric stove so whenever I move, its gonna be to a section that has GAS!!!!

I can't give you the recipe because I never make it the same so it wouldn't make sense to you. My ex-husband used to say that I never made a dish the same way twice. I was always improvising. I do love to cook, but not on electric stoves, unfortunately.

wilkinsm1
06-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I just have to say that I made Baylor Bear's Pasta Al Forno this evening for dinner and it was a great success! Delicious! I made a few changes but I don't think it hurt....I had a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes so I used it all...I substituted a three cheese mixture that I already had for the Asaigo cheese..it had Asaigo in it. I had to use a very large casserole dish as it made a lot! Thanks again!

peaches
06-07-2012, 09:46 PM
4 lbs. chicken
1 pkg. dry onion soupp mix
1 (16 oz) can whole cranberry sauce
1 C spicy-sweet French dressing

Spray 13x9" pan
Rinse chicken, pat dry.
Place in casserole dish
Sprinkle soup mix over chicken
Stir cranberry sauce, then spoon over all
Top with dressing
Cover with aluminum foil
Cook at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, remove foil, cook another 30 minutes.

jane032657
06-07-2012, 11:22 PM

1 1/2 C red quinoa
1 C water
2 limes, juice and zest
4 tsp chili powder

Directions:

----

Kale
peppers
asparagus

I think this is an awesome dish, you can bring it to our place!

uujudy
06-07-2012, 11:33 PM
These recipes all sound so yummy! So when is the potluck? I can bring the ice!

PS: Jimbo, how do you grill the kale? Doesn't it just shrivel up?

Sable99
06-08-2012, 12:01 AM
I always watch my sugar, fat and sodium intake so I am going to post a Sugar Free Strawberry Pie. It is delicious!!

24 ounces strawberries, hulled and sliced
8 fresh strawberries
1 (2.1 ounce) package, cook and serve vanilla pudding, no sugar added
1 (0.6 ounce) package, strawberry gelatin, sugar free
2 cups water
1 cup whipped topping, sugar free

Layer strawberry slices in the bottom of a 10" pie pan. In a medium saucepan, combine pudding mix, gelatin mix and water; stir well. Continue to stir as you bring the mixture to a full boil. Pour over strawberries and refrigerate 4-6 hours. Garnish with a dollop of sugar free whipped topping and a fresh strawberry before serving. Makes 8 servings.

Nutrition Information per serving; 83 calories, 2 grams protein, 1 gram fat, 16 grams carbohydrates, 187 mg sodium.

senior citizen
06-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Here is another popular item if asked to bring an appetizer.....
You could reheat in microwave or if allowed, use their oven from scratch.

BACON and PINEAPPLE APPETIZERS:

24 servings * Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook: 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS:
12 pieces uncooked bacon slices like Oscar Meyer Center Cut Bacon
These should be HALVED CROSSWISE.....making 24 pcs.

12 canned water chestnuts, halved

1 cup canned pineapple CHUNKS, drained and sliced in half

4 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Wrap bacon slice around a pineapple chunk half and a water chestnut half.
Secure with a wooden toothpick.

Bake on a rack put into a shallow pan for 15 minutes.
Brush with soy sauce.
Bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

1 serving equals 58 calories, 5 grams of fat (2 grams saturated fat), 116 mg sodium,1 gram carbohydrate, 1 gram protein

Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat.

graciegirl
06-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Senior Citizen. YOU know your way around a kitchen, girlfriend.

Some mighty tasty stuff here so far. Keep 'em coming. I am copying all of them and plan to take credit for them in the future.:icon_wink:

jimbo2012
06-08-2012, 07:09 AM
PS: Jimbo, how do you grill the kale? Doesn't it just shrivel up?

You need to watch it, 3-10 minutes, different parts will cook differently, you can try putting it in foil for more of a steam cook.

I don't know what it is but it taste totally different on the grill.

You really can cook most veggies on the grill, egg plant, cherry tomato's, squash, zucchini, red onion, red and green bell peppers and mushrooms

http://0.tqn.com/d/thaifood/1/I/a/4/grilledveggies3.JPG

It's also quick to cook up some rotini wheat or rice pasta chop up the grilled vegies toss add balsamic vinegar (not dressing) or Dijon.
add seasoning to your liking, garlic, fresh oregano, fresh parsley, salt and pepper what ever.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N8VQTxU9CmU/T3Xk6JYlnkI/AAAAAAAAEog/4OuGEhRchYQ/s400/3-29-12_grillkalepastasalad.jpg

senior citizen
06-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Senior Citizen. YOU know your way around a kitchen, girlfriend.

Some mighty tasty stuff here so far. Keep 'em coming. I am copying all of them and plan to take credit for them in the future.:icon_wink:

Gracie:
No doubt you have made the following for your own children and grandchildren at one time or another. I first heard about it as a young mom when our daughter came home from 2nd grade all excited that her friend Heidi was going to have "FIVE CUP SALAD" at her upcoming 7th b.day party. I was imagining a green salad. Later, I asked the mom for the recipe ....as it had been a huge success.

The food police will not like the ingredients, but children do........and I might add, I've been asked for this recipe by DOCTORS who live in our neighborhood, whenever I take it to a pot luck. Also, women always ask me for the recipe, saying their husbands loved it. Little kids at heart.

It's good for either a summer day or even at Thanksgiving or Christmas time. Decorate the top with marashino cherries (drained first).

The only thing I changed was the original recipe calls for sour cream and I began using cool whip as the kids liked it better, although they also ate the sour cream version. Again, this is great to make ahead and chill.
No cooking involved.

It's so easy, a child can put it together. Good for a picnic.

FIVE CUP SALAD:

Toss it all together in a large mixing bowl but transfer to a glass bowl for serving.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup sour cream ( or, 1 cup cool whip )
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup pineapple chunks , drained
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup miniature marshmellows

STIR AND CHILL FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR or MORE............

Drain the marashino cherries and blot dry. Arrange on top of 5 cup salad.

224 cal.; 15 g. fat; 22 g. carbs;

senior citizen
06-08-2012, 09:23 AM
GREEK / ITALIAN TUNA SALAD:

2 cans albacore tuna in water
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup diced red onion
Some minced garlic cloves
3/8 cup black olives, pitted, chopped up
1/2 cup olive oil
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper (although my father would put so much black pepper on it looked like ants)
3/4 cup Feta cheese (For the Greeks)
Romaine Lettuce

DRAIN WATER FROM TUNA.
MIX ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER.
SERVE AS A SANDWICH ON CRUSTY ARTISAN BREAD
with dark green romaine lettuce,
sliced ripe tomatoes, Feta cheese if desired.

A nice change from tuna with mayo and celery and slivered onion......

ilovetv
06-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Gracie:
No doubt you have made the following for your own children and grandchildren at one time or another. I first heard about it as a young mom when our daughter came home from 2nd grade all excited that her friend Heidi was going to have "FIVE CUP SALAD" at her upcoming 7th b.day party. I was imagining a green salad. Later, I asked the mom for the recipe ....as it had been a huge success.

The food police will not like the ingredients, but children do........and I might add, I've been asked for this recipe by DOCTORS who live in our neighborhood, whenever I take it to a pot luck. Also, women always ask me for the recipe, saying their husbands loved it. Little kids at heart.

It's good for either a summer day or even at Thanksgiving or Christmas time. Decorate the top with marashino cherries (drained first).

The only thing I changed was the original recipe calls for sour cream and I began using cool whip as the kids liked it better, although they also ate the sour cream version. Again, this is great to make ahead and chill.
No cooking involved.

It's so easy, a child can put it together. Good for a picnic.

FIVE CUP SALAD:

Toss it all together in a large mixing bowl but transfer to a glass bowl for serving.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup sour cream ( or, 1 cup cool whip )
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup pineapple chunks , drained
1 cup miniature marshmellows

STIR AND CHILL FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR or MORE............
Drain the marashino cherries and blot dry. Arrange on top of 5 cup salad.
224 cal.; 15 g. fat; 22 g. carbs;

Senior....I think you forgot the can of mandarin oranges? They really make it delicious.

And if sour cream sounds yucky to those who've never had this "Ambrosia" fruit salad.....the miniature marshmallows melt into the pineapple and mandarin orange juice, to form the sweetener that sour cream lacks.

Bonny
06-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Senior....I think you forgot the can of mandarin oranges? They really make it delicious.

And if sour cream sounds yucky to those who've never had this "Ambrosia" fruit salad.....the miniature marshmallows melt into the pineapple and mandarin orange juice, to form the sweetener that sour cream lacks.

Definitely have to have the mandarin oranges. I tried the cool whip one time & thought it was a little to sweet.

SALYBOW
06-08-2012, 10:39 AM
My secret Spanakopita recipe is what everyone loves me to bring. It is my specialty dish. You will have to invite me to a pot luck when I get there so I can bring it!!!!

Since I am still working it is hard for me to get things organized but I would be glad to offer my home for a pot luck dinner; If anyone is interested that is and would help organize it.

My favorite is Peasant (Salad Diabetic friendly and low cal.)

4 diced tomatoes
1/2 red onion diced
1 medium green pepper diced
1 medium cucumber diced
1 tbsp minced garlic ( or to taste)
1 cup chopped green olives
sea salt to taste
2/3 c red wine vinegar
1 cup feta cheese
Mix all ingredients well.
This can be made ahead.

If you don't like chopping stuff Publix sells it prediced in the produce department.
Depending on your taste for salty stuff you can add some capers or pour the olive juice in the mix.
The vinegar can also be adjusted to taste.
The original recipe called for 1 cup salad oil OMG
I gradually decreased this for health reasons and found that I liked it just as well with out any oil.
:a040: :clap2:

senior citizen
06-08-2012, 11:35 AM

OH MY GOODNESS........YOU ARE SO RIGHT.

The old eyes are going as I was typing it from an old recipe.
THANK YOU.

I like it with the sour cream myself....but I always drained the mandarin oranges.

Yes, we also call it ambrosia.

senior citizen
06-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Since I am still working it is hard for me to get things organized but I would be glad to offer my home for a pot luck dinner; If anyone is interested that is and would help organize it.

My favorite is Peasant (Salad Diabetic friendly and low cal.)

4 diced tomatoes
1/2 red onion diced
1 medium green pepper diced
1 medium cucumber diced
1 tbsp minced garlic ( or to taste)
1 cup chopped green olives
sea salt to taste
2/3 c red wine vinegar
1 cup feta cheese
Mix all ingredients well.
This can be made ahead.

If you don't like chopping stuff Publix sells it prediced in the produce department.
Depending on your taste for salty stuff you can add some capers or pour the olive juice in the mix.
The vinegar can also be adjusted to taste.
The original recipe called for 1 cup salad oil OMG
I gradually decreased this for health reasons and found that I liked it just as well with out any oil.
:a040: :clap2:
Hello:
This sounds really good as is......but is this Italian Peasant Salad??
I make something similar but toss it with rough cubed artisan bread.
It may sound horrible but it's really good.....the bread soaks up all the garlicky dessing. The peasants would use up their old stale bread this way, cutting it into cubes.

Also, a "summer pasta sauce" would be to dice up the ripest of the bumper crop of tomatoes......mix with basil, minced garlic, minced onion, oregano, salt and pepper, drizzled with olive oil...and some cubed mozarella......let sit at room temperature for an hour or so........then toss with HOT drained angel hair pasta. I get the kind in little twirls or "nests". You don't have to COOK this sauce.....but it's excellent in the summer time when the tomatoes are very ripe. The tomatoes seem to make their own juice and it's "just enough" over the hot angel hair.
Very light and refreshing.

senior citizen
06-08-2012, 12:02 PM
EGGPLANT PARMIGIANO:

I quadruple this recipe but this is for just 4 servings.

1 eggplant (8 oz.)
1 tsp. salt or more to "sweat" eggplant to take out bitterness
2 cups of dry Progresso Italian flavored bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 or 2 eggs
6 tablespoons olive oil.....or more
1 1/2 cups of your favorite spaghetti sauce
8 oz. shredded mozarella cheese...or more
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Slice the eggplant into slightly larger than 1/4 inch thick slices.
Sprinkle with salt and set in COLANDER for about 45 minutes.
Press a paper towel into each slice to absorb all the liquid drawn from the eggplant.
(You could put a heavy plate on.....after the salt)

Set up a station of all the dipping flat dishes....to make a little production line next to the frying pan.

Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs into three separate flat rimmed dishes.
Add some water to the egg and beat with a fork.

FLOUR
BEATEN EGG
BREADCRUMBS
OLIVE OIL IN FRYING PAN
PAPER TOWELS TO DRAIN THEM ON
CASSEROLE DISH TO LAYER THEM IN BEFORE BAKING

Dredge each slice of eggplant into the flour.
Then dip into the egg...
Finally press the bread crumbs into each slice of eggplant

Preheat your frying pan on medium high heat.
Add olive oil to the pan and let it get hot.
Fry the eggplant until golden brown on each side....turn once.

Place fried eggplant on a plate lined with paper towels.

Before frying another batch of eggplant, clean out frying pan with paper towels.

Put in more olive oil.

Fry remaining eggplant. (This gets tedious when making 4 to 6 eggplants but is worth it as it freezes very well).

SPREAD SAUCE IN A BAKING DISH......layer the eggplant with the sauce and mozarella cheese

Sprinkle on the parm cheese......

Bake the Eggplant in a preheated 425 degree oven for half an hour, depending how many layers you end up with, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Makes great main dish, side dish or cold for sandwiches......hot for sandwiches.
Crusty Italian Bread.