PDA

View Full Version : Corn on the cob

PaPaLarry
07-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Got this email a while ago, on how to put corn on the cob in microwave, and then cut stub, and it pulls right out. It worked real good. Put full cob (with husk) into microwave, for 7 minutes. Then cut stub (not tip) and pull out. Comes out with NO hairy stuff, and ready to eat. Of course, you need mittens to hold. You can experiment with the minutes, according to strength of microwave. Try it sometime, you will like. No more husking!!!:coolsmiley:

graciegirl
07-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Got this email a while ago, on how to put corn on the cob in microwave, and then cut stub, and it pulls right out. It worked real good. Put full cob (with husk) into microwave, for 7 minutes. Then cut stub (not tip) and pull out. Comes out with NO hairy stuff, and ready to eat. Of course, you need mittens to hold. You can experiment with the minutes, according to strength of microwave. Try it sometime, you will like. No more husking!!!:coolsmiley:

That is a LOT of cooking. I was taught as a kid to put in cold water and bring to a boil and remove immediately. It shouldn't have been picked more than 24 hours ago either.

I don't think there is really good sweet corn here...or at least we haven't found it. I am missing Ohio corn.:mad::mmmm::wave:

Joaniesmom
07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
That is a LOT of cooking. I was taught as a kid to put in cold water and bring to a boil and remove immediately. It shouldn't have been picked more than 24 hours ago either.

I don't think there is really good sweet corn here...or at least we haven't found it. I am missing Ohio corn.:mad::mmmm::wave:

As a fellow Ohioan I couldn't agree more. There is NO corn like ours. Stop at a roadside stand, pick up just enough ears for dinner, cook em up and you're in corn heaven!

IMHO the best way to cook corn is to drop shelled corn into boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Don't overcook!

Just bought corn at the supermarket out of desperation. It was awful. I honestly don't know what we'll do about the corn situation when we move to TV. Sigh! Graciegirl, maybe we need to start a support group! :cryin2:

rhsgypsylady
07-03-2012, 07:39 AM

I've used this recipe and it's true - the hairs, husk and everything pulls right off. And it taste delicisous, even the not so good corn here in TV. It is extremely hot so make sure you have mittens.

ladylake1
07-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Ditto to the quality of corn here in TV. Ohio may have some good corn but my money is on New Jersey corn. Melt in your mouth delicious!! I have nuked corn this way for years and it is the best method for those of us who don't want to boil. Quick and EASY.

BaylorBear
07-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Have to say that Nebraska corn is the very bestest!!! After all, it is the "Cornhusker" state!!

Gracie, I'm sorry, that was just too easy!! I am really sorry!!

LABSX2
07-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Gracie, Our Ohio sweet corn grown in our Ohio garden should be ready in a couple weeks. Come on up and we will give you some!!!! I'm sure it will be yummy!!! :icon_hungry:

red tail
07-03-2012, 09:58 AM
zellwood corn is pretty good if not the best!

rhood
07-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Here's the link:

Shucking Corn--Clean Ears Everytime - YouTube

skyguy79
07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
As a fellow Ohioan I couldn't agree more. There is NO corn like ours. Stop at a roadside stand, pick up just enough ears for dinner, cook em up and you're in corn heaven!Is there really a state that has the best corn? I could say Upstate NY has the best; others could say OH, NJ, FL, MN, KS, NE, etc., but the real truth is... the state that have the cows that make the best manure, make the best tasting corn! :1rotfl:

BobKat1
07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Is there really a state that has the best corn? I could say Upstate NY has the best; others could say OH, NJ, FL, MN, KS, NE, etc., but the real truth is... the state that have the cows that make the best manure, make the best tasting corn! :1rotfl:

I agree. EXCEPT two KEY states were omitted from the good corn list. Iowa and Illinois!!! Kinda like the best pizza and ribs discussion. Good corn can be found in a lot of states, thankfully....

skyguy79
07-03-2012, 11:09 AM
I agree. EXCEPT two KEY states were omitted from the good corn list. Iowa and Illinois!!! Kinda like the best pizza and ribs discussion. Good corn can be found in a lot of states, thankfully....Sorry, it was just a sampling of states and not a list of the states that have good corn. I'm sure there are a lot more that could also be added to the list, but if I were listing states that could possible have the best corn, I'd had better list all 50 states or duck! :duck:

BobKat1
07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Sorry, it was just a sampling of states and not a list of the states that have good corn. I'm sure there are a lot more that could also be added to the list, but if I were listing states that could possible have the best corn, I'd had better list all 50 states or duck! :duck:

No problem. :) Now I'm hungry for some good COTB......

bkcunningham1
07-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Gracie, we found a place where you pick your own vegetables. It was near Wildwood off of 301. Now, that was some lip-smacking corn. We've bought fresh corn at the Markets at Marion too. I think this season of corn is done. We have to wait on the next batch.

uujudy
07-03-2012, 11:45 AM

I'm not known for my good cooking...
PaPaLarry, what do you mean by "Cut the stub (not tip) and pull out"? If I cut off the stub then how do I pull it out? I can't picture this in my mind. Do I pull it out from the end I just cut off? I'd really like to try cooking corn this way, but I'm afraid I need diagrams. Can you explain it so even I can understand it?
Judy the Dense

DickY
07-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Judy, see the video a few posts above, btw Lancaster County Pa corn is the best.

hulababy
07-03-2012, 02:05 PM
i know this one too and was wondering why everyone at supermarket stands there and pulls husk off. Don't you grill it with husk on if grilling?? I do the microwave and it does work.

uujudy
07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Judy, see the video a few posts above, btw Lancaster County Pa corn is the best.

DickY, there was no link that I could see, but VG sent me a link that I will try to share here:
Shucking Corn--Clean Ears Everytime - YouTube in case someone else wants to know how to do it. (There was supposed to be a link up there after the colons)

I have no idea why my link doesn't show up in my 'preview post' window, so maybe it won't show up here. If it doesn't, and you want to know how to do this, Google 'Shucking Corn -- Clean Ears Every Time'. You should be able to find the video there, and once you see it you'll know how to do it.

I think this idea is really neat! I am definitely going to try it next time!
PS: I think the best corn comes from your (y'all's?) (All Y'all's?) kitchens! :wave:

jojo
07-03-2012, 03:14 PM
OK - So who has tried this? I'm planning to... And I'm with Gracie - Ohio corn for me.

skyguy79
07-03-2012, 03:49 PM
DickY, there was no link that I could see, but VG sent me a link that I will try to share here:
Shucking Corn--Clean Ears Everytime - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBF6bv4Oe4) in case someone else wants to know how to do it. (There was supposed to be a link up there after the colons)

I have no idea why my link doesn't show up in my 'preview post' window, so maybe it won't show up here. If it doesn't, and you want to know how to do this, Google 'Shucking Corn -- Clean Ears Every Time'. You should be able to find the video there, and once you see it you'll know how to do it.

I think this idea is really neat! I am definitely going to try it next time!
PS: I think the best corn comes from your (y'all's?) (All Y'all's?) kitchens! :wave:Here is the video you were trying to post.

Shucking Corn--Clean Ears Everytime - YouTube (http://youtu.be/YnBF6bv4Oe4)

Tip: In order for the link to show on the forum, it has to be the link given when you click "Share" below the video itself and NOT the link address given at the top. The address at the top will only show within a quote like it does above. I think this tip may only apply to IE.

karostay
07-03-2012, 04:02 PM
:mmmm::mmmm::mmmm:I agree. EXCEPT two KEY states were omitted from the good corn list. Iowa and Illinois!!! Kinda like the best pizza and ribs discussion. Good corn can be found in a lot of states, thankfully....
Sorry I must disagree with everyone !
Maine has the Best corn when cooked properly.
Simply bring a kettle of water to slow rolling boil add 6 ears of un shucked corn 4 Gulf of Maine Lobsters ,2 bags of fresh clams, Few whole onions, Few Maine potatoes Then lets see who has the best corn

asianthree
07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
pressure cooker 3 minutes with a little sugar in 1/4 cup water perfect :mmmm:

PaPaLarry
07-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Have to get my TWO CENTS in for New Hampshire corn. Fresh Sugar corn, with mixture of yellow and white is sooooooooooo good!!!:BigApplause::clap2::thumbup:

delima2000
07-03-2012, 04:19 PM
I found that if you use a steamer any corn comes out great.
:mmmm:

uujudy
07-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Here is the video you were trying to post.

Shucking Corn--Clean Ears Everytime - YouTube (http://youtu.be/YnBF6bv4Oe4)

Tip: In order for the link to show on the forum, it has to be the link given when you click "Share" below the video itself and NOT the link address given at the top. The address at the top will only show within a quote like it does above. I think this tip may only apply to IE.

Thanks Skyguy! I never knew that.

Schaumburger
07-04-2012, 02:11 AM
I agree. EXCEPT two KEY states were omitted from the good corn list. Iowa and Illinois!!! Kinda like the best pizza and ribs discussion. Good corn can be found in a lot of states, thankfully....

Best sweet corn - from Fincel's in Dubuque, IA where I grew up. Will be there in 3 weeks to get me some! If you are ever in Dubuque from late June through September, buy some. Yum Yum.

hedoman
07-04-2012, 03:15 AM
NOPE y'all got it wrong ...JERSEY corn and tomatoes are the bomb! Silver Queen right out of the field.

We clean and wash and wrap in wax paper (MUST be wax paper). Before rolling and twisting the wax paper closed add a few dollups of butter. Mcrowave 4 ears for 8 minutes turning once. Use tongs to remove wax paper and salt to taste. Florida corn ain't that bad just NOT Jersey fresh!

mrfixit
07-04-2012, 07:14 PM

.........ADD One Cup of MILK per Gallon of WATER..........

............Then.......Boil the Corn as Usual......................

......Put a slice of bread on a flat plate...(or in a large bowl)..
...........position a stick of butter ON the Bread.......
...............Roll Corn on Butter.....................................

In My Humble Opinion.............(IMHO)

........All FRESH SweetCorn is "good" when boiled WITH Milk ADDED....

CFrance
07-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Interesting. I've never heard of that. What is the purpose of the milk?

Just to jump into the fray... We've had corn from PA, OH, NJ, FL, MI. The best was from non-corporate farms outside of Madison, Ohio, where you would stop at the farm stand, they would ask you what you wanted, then walk a hundred feet to the corn field and pick it for you. I think that was the secret, the fact that it was so fresh and not refrigerated.

When we go to the farmers' market in town here in MI, they have picked the corn the night before and refrigerated it so they can sleep later in the a.m. rather than go pick it at 3 a.m. and haul it into the market. Cold corn is rarely exceptional. What we need now in MI is a farm that draws a lot of customers so they have to go pick a couple times a day. Preferably you go in the afternoon when they've picked for the second time and not refrigerated it. These places are hard to find, although I know of one an hour away.

Still, that Ohio corn... the best in my memory. Sigh.

Happinow
07-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Publix has had some outstanding corn on the cob except for today. It didn't look so good. Looked tough. But usually it is so sweet and very tender..give it a try.

uujudy
07-19-2012, 11:51 PM
I just wanted to send a huge THANK YOU to PapaLarry, DickY & SkyGuy. I cooked my sweet corn in the microwave according to your instructions, and it came out perfectly! There wasn't one single silk on the corn & it tasted great! Thank you! :wave:

As a Thank You, here's a tip for freezing corn on the cob:
Years ago, when we lived out in the country and had a very large garden, I was blanching cobs of corn for the freezer according to the Ball Blue Book instructions. I had shucked 100 ears...I had all the ears separated according to diameter... I had the ice bath ready... I had the pot of water boiling on the hottest day of the year...

Harry the Farmer stopped by and asked me why on earth I was going to all that trouble. He thought I was nuts! Harry said the best way to freeze corn on the cob was to just put it in a paper bag, like the kind you get at the grocery store. (It couldn't possibly work. It would taste terrible. The Blue Book said I HAD to blanch the corn or it would rot or become poisonous or something). I tried it with a few unhusked ears, and let me tell you we were delighted with the corn in February! It tasted just-picked!

Here's how you do it: Keep the corn in the husks, lay out about 6 ears so the bag stays flat, fold over and seal the top of the bag (I use staples) and that's it! Just layer the flat bags of corn in the freezer and you're done.

I couldn't believe it could be that easy, but it works. You can have corn on the cob in February that tastes as good as the corn in July. You have to let it thaw before you cook it, but it's deelicious! It's MUCH better than the frozen corn on the cob you buy at the grocery store. Once I tried Harry's way I was hooked. I have done our corn this way for about 25 years, and it always comes out great. Give it a try. You'll be surprised at how good it tastes.

Threeputt
07-20-2012, 04:48 AM
Ditto to the quality of corn here in TV. Ohio may have some good corn but my money is on New Jersey corn. Melt in your mouth delicious!! I have nuked corn this way for years and it is the best method for those of us who don't want to boil. Quick and EASY.

Ditto
The only difference is we wash the corn and wrap in wax paper with some butter comes out great MW for 4 min and turn for 4 more
no muss no fuss

pooh
07-20-2012, 06:52 AM
I just wanted to send a huge THANK YOU to PapaLarry, DickY & SkyGuy. I cooked my sweet corn in the microwave according to your instructions, and it came out perfectly! There wasn't one single silk on the corn & it tasted great! Thank you! :wave:

As a Thank You, here's a tip for freezing corn on the cob:
Years ago, when we lived out in the country and had a very large garden, I was blanching cobs of corn for the freezer according to the Ball Blue Book instructions. I had shucked 100 ears...I had all the ears separated according to diameter... I had the ice bath ready... I had the pot of water boiling on the hottest day of the year...

Harry the Farmer stopped by and asked me why on earth I was going to all that trouble. He thought I was nuts! Harry said the best way to freeze corn on the cob was to just put it in a paper bag, like the kind you get at the grocery store. (It couldn't possibly work. It would taste terrible. The Blue Book said I HAD to blanch the corn or it would rot or become poisonous or something). I tried it with a few unhusked ears, and let me tell you we were delighted with the corn in February! It tasted just-picked!

Here's how you do it: Keep the corn in the husks, lay out about 6 ears so the bag stays flat, fold over and seal the top of the bag (I use staples) and that's it! Just layer the flat bags of corn in the freezer and you're done.

I couldn't believe it could be that easy, but it works. You can have corn on the cob in February that tastes as good as the corn in July. You have to let it thaw before you cook it, but it's deelicious! It's MUCH better than the frozen corn on the cob you buy at the grocery store. Once I tried Harry's way I was hooked. I have done our corn this way for about 25 years, and it always comes out great. Give it a try. You'll be surprised at how good it tastes.

Thank you, I'm going to try freezing corn. It tastes so good when it's nuked and now we can enjoy corn all year long!!!!

uujudy
07-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Thank you, I'm going to try freezing corn. It tastes so cook when it's nuked and now we can enjoy corn all year long!!!!

Pooh, try it and let me know this winter how it worked for you!

pooh
07-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Pooh, try it and let me know this winter how it worked for you!

LOL...if I can just make myself set some aside to freeze. Dam stuff tastes amazing!!! I'll try... ;)

Bruiser1
07-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Southern Minnesota

"Golden Jubilee" corn You've eaten it in Birds Eye General Foods.

That is just a few miles away from the Valley of the "Green Giant" (ho ho ho).

Shhhhhh it will be our little secret.

uujudy
07-20-2012, 08:58 PM
LOL...if I can just make myself set some aside to freeze. Dam stuff tastes amazing!!! I'll try... ;)

Back in Utah the grocery store had one week each summer when corn was 10 ears for a dollar -- 10 cents an ear! I always watched for the sale and bought 100 ears. We'd line up the kitchen counter with paper bags* and the kids would have fun counting out 6 ears per bag, marking the date, folding the tops & I'd come along with the stapler. It was a regular production line, but it only took an hour, tops, to put up 100 ears for winter. Watch for the sale. Last year Publix had one day when the corn was 12 ears for a dollar! Too bad I don't have a big freezer here.

* The bags have to be the heavy paper ones from the grocery store, not the flimsy sandwich bags. :wave:

BarryRX
07-21-2012, 06:09 AM

We have another "foolproof" method. We bring water to a boil, put the corn in. When the water comes back to a boil then take it off the heat. Perfect every time! And, being that we're from Toledo I agree that Ohio corn is so sweet it's like eating sugar!

l2ridehd
07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
I have done it the mircowave way, but slightly different. I soak it in water in the husk for about 45 minutes, cut the stub end first and then right into the Microwave. By soaking it first, it steams it in the husk so takes only about 2 minutes for each ear. And NH corn is the best.

CFrance
07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
I have done it the mircowave way, but slightly different. I soak it in water in the husk for about 45 minutes, cut the stub end first and then right into the Microwave. By soaking it first, it steams it in the husk so takes only about 2 minutes for each ear. And NH corn is the best.

I2ridehd, When you do it this way, does the corn slide right out, no husk or silks?

I have had limited success with the microwave-for-4 to 7-minutes, then cut the end off. It only worked once, the first time, at 4 minutes. Since then, I've had to peel the husk off. The silks come right off, but it's not working like the video said it would. Plus 7 minutes is way too long to nuke an ear of corn.

dkrhardy
07-23-2012, 05:37 PM

We do it almost the same. We cut the tassle off, trim the stubby end and just roll them into the micro. About 4-5 min for 2 ears, turning them once. The turntable function does not move the upside to down, so we do that turn. There is enough steam from the green husks, and they are cooking in their own juice. The husk and silks slide right off. BE CAREFUL, they are hot as ...... uhm, really hot.
Don & Kaz

capecodbob
07-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Exactly the way I do it and it comes out perfect every time. But add a spoonful of sugar to the cold water.
Bob

Didiwinbob
07-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Stop you guys are making me drool wink

Chris

theapeman1
07-23-2012, 08:59 PM

The Micowave method works fine and easily removes all hair for the cobbs. Can buy some locally grown corn that is pretty good if eaten promptly after being picked. The cold water boiled method is no longer necessary and it doesn't allow simple hair removal.

CFrance
07-24-2012, 07:11 AM
The Micowave method works fine and easily removes all hair for the cobbs. Can buy some locally grown corn that is pretty good if eaten promptly after being picked. The cold water boiled method is no longer necessary and it doesn't allow simple hair removal.

Simple hair removal!!! My imagination is taking off on that one, and it's all corny.