PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar!

Joaniesmom
08-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Recently the federal powers-that-be required dishwasher detergent makers to remove an apparently vital chemical that kept cloudy film from accumulating on the surface of dishes and silverware.

I have the solution. Easy. Cheap. It works. It's even good for you. Two words. White vinegar.

Every so often, dump some white vinegar into your washer fairly early in the cycle. be prepared to ooh and aah when you pull the dishes out. Notice I'm casual about times, sizes, everything? Because it doesn't matter!

Remember you can eat vinegar. As a guideline, I do this maybe every two weeks, maybe a cup, when I think of it. Sometimes the dishes are so pretty I'm tempted to take them around to show the neighbors!

Modesty prevents. :pray:

uujudy
08-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Recently the federal powers-that-be required dishwasher detergent makers to remove an apparently vital chemical that kept cloudy film from accumulating on the surface of dishes and silverware.

I have the solution. Easy. Cheap. It works. It's even good for you. Two words. White vinegar.

Every so often, dump some white vinegar into your washer fairly early in the cycle. be prepared to ooh and aah when you pull the dishes out. Notice I'm casual about times, sizes, everything? Because it doesn't matter!

Remember you can eat vinegar. As a guideline, I do this maybe every two weeks, maybe a cup, when I think of it. Sometimes the dishes are so pretty I'm tempted to take them around to show the neighbors!

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: Thanks for the tip, Joaniesmom. If I see someone strolling the diamond lanes with shiny dishes, I'll know it's you! I bought some fancy dishwasher cleaner & I bought the new Finish Powerballs, but I'll definitely give the vinegar a try. Does it harm the stainless steel flatware?

Joaniesmom
08-11-2012, 10:17 AM
:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: Thanks for the tip, Joaniesmom. If I see someone strolling the diamond lanes with shiny dishes, I'll know it's you! I bought some fancy dishwasher cleaner & I bought the new Finish Powerballs, but I'll definitely give the vinegar a try. Does it harm the stainless steel flatware?

In the beginning I took a hand full of skuzzy (word?) forks and just dipped them into the vinegar. Ta da! Georgeous! To answer your question. Not so far. Try it with a bowl of the stuff. Dilute if you're concerned. I literally dipped it in, swished them around and out. Crazy!

asianthree
08-11-2012, 10:44 AM
i put some in my sink every once in awhile and put my glasses in they are sparkly just like you said

Pturner
08-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Agree that white vinegar makes glass-- and tile-- sparkle. I'll give it a try in the dishwasher. Thanks for the tip, Joaniesmom.

KittyKat
08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks for this great tip. Recently my glasses have gotten so cloudy that I bought that new booster & seems like they got worse! I'm going to try the vinegar next time.

kit9240
08-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Thank you for this great tip!! I had some glasses that were not that hold but they were very cloudy. I tried scrubbing them but nothing worked. I dipped them in some vinegar and they are crystal clear now. I'll follow your advice and put some in the dishwasher instead of JetDry.

Thanks again!

Virtual Geezer
08-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Vinegar is much like aspirin in that it has many uses. A quick Google search on "uses for vinegar" came up with a ton of hits.

Check this one out as an example.

150+ Household Uses for Vinegar | Reader's Digest (http://www.rd.com/home/150-household-uses-for-vinegar/)

VG

mulligan
08-11-2012, 01:09 PM
50/50 mix in a spray bottle for cart windshield, wipe gently in 1 direction with a microfiber cloth that has been washed/dried without fabric softener. Also works on the whirlpool black ceramic cooktop.

mikeandnancy1112
08-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Awesome tip! Thank you. The tips on this site are amazing!

jnieman
08-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the tip. When used in the dishwasher, where do you put the cup of vinegar? In the bottom of the dishwasher? or in the detergent cup? Do you also put in detergent?

Joaniesmom
08-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the tip. When used in the dishwasher, where do you put the cup of vinegar? In the bottom of the dishwasher? or in the detergent cup? Do you also put in detergent?

Here again, casual. Use with detergent. Or dump in when it rinses (my favorite.) Even run an empty load just to clean the washer. And yes just dump into the bottom of the washer.

Another hint. Spray onto blouse arm pits to get detergent and odors out of polyester fabrics.

These aren't my tips, BTW.

Rest in peace. HELOISE

ncarvalho
08-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks. Vinegar is indeed very good for this.
A bit of vinegar and water, in an almost dry cloth are very good for cleaning hardwood also ( I use it once a month).
And keep a bottle with of 1 part of white vinegar, 3 of water handy-- if you get something dirty on a carpet, spray it and it works very well too, without any abrasives.

Bill-n-Brillo
08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Mix white vinegar with distilled water - good spot remover for glass, fiberglass boat gel coats, automotive paint (cut it with a good amount of water so as not to remove all your wax), etc....

Bill :)

asianthree
08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
got to love a thread that make every thing sparkle

MoandBill
08-16-2012, 10:02 AM
A 50/50 mix in a spray bottle also works great to clean silk plants - it even works on dried euclayptus - just take it outside and spray the heck out of it - be sure and get down into the bottom "root" area. Let dry outside so the smell dissapates.