PDA

View Full Version : Now that the weather has finally turned chillier

senior citizen
10-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Now that the weather has finally turned chillier, here is a "side dish" to go with that "ROAST CHICKEN with 40 CLOVES of GARLIC" recipe......
Unless you do crave the mashed potatoes mentioned...........to go with roast chicken........and just make this as a side dish for another entree.

This works best if you have a large oven or a double wall oven.........as it's not done surrounding the "roast" as we normally do.........but in separate pan for maxium crispness.....

DELICIOUS OVEN ROASTED GREEK POTATOES

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8

NOT GOURMET but something our moms did all the time...........

Ingredients:
8 large potatoes, peeled, cut into large wedges
4 garlic cloves, minced.......or as much garlic as you wish....
1/2 cup olive oil (plus extra to drizzle on bottom of pan)
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon dried Mediterranean OREGANO
....(or you can use GREEK SEASONING which is yummy)
Juice of one or two lemons
Sea Salt
Fresh coarse ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 420..........drizzle some olive oil on the bottom of pan.

Put all the ingredients into a very large baking pan.

Season generously with sea salt and black pepper

Toss it all together, evenly, to distribute.......

The garlic will blend into the oil/water but its flavor will get into the potatoes yet it will not burn as garlic often does........

BAKE FOR 40 MINUTES or so......(now half way done)

When a nice golden brown crust has formed on the potatoes, give them a stir to bring the white underside up, season again, lightly, with a bit more sea salt and black pepper..........and a light sprinkling of Oregano.

Add 1/2 cup more water if pan appears to be getting dry, and pop back into oven to brown other side of potatoes...........

You can't overcook these..........they will be delicious.
Good for "waiting" for company to arrive.......or while chicken is resting.

Definitely not your Mac Donalds french fries............

These are the kinds of potatoes we grew up on............but then that is when a roast tasted like a roast.

If you have oven constraints, you could use this above recipe surrounding the meat* in the one pan.........at the lower oven heat.......but it would take longer to crisp up. * Pork roast, Lamb, Beef, Chicken, etc.

It comes out great in a SINGLE PAN at the 420 or 425 degrees.
Again, it depends on your oven...........

villager
10-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Oh, that sounds yummy! Thanks.

graciegirl
10-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Now that the weather has finally turned chillier, here is a "side dish" to go with that "ROAST CHICKEN with 40 CLOVES of GARLIC" recipe......
Unless you do crave the mashed potatoes mentioned...........to go with roast chicken........and just make this as a side dish for another entree.

This works best if you have a large oven or a double wall oven.........as it's not done surrounding the "roast" as we normally do.........but in separate pan for maxium crispness.....

DELICIOUS OVEN ROASTED GREEK POTATOES

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8

NOT GOURMET but something our moms did all the time...........

Ingredients:
8 large potatoes, peeled, cut into large wedges
4 garlic cloves, minced.......or as much garlic as you wish....
1/2 cup olive oil (plus extra to drizzle on bottom of pan)
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon dried Mediterranean OREGANO
....(or you can use GREEK SEASONING which is yummy)
Juice of one or two lemons
Sea Salt
Fresh coarse ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 420..........drizzle some olive oil on the bottom of pan.

Put all the ingredients into a very large baking pan.

Season generously with sea salt and black pepper

Toss it all together, evenly, to distribute.......

The garlic will blend into the oil/water but its flavor will get into the potatoes yet it will not burn as garlic often does........

BAKE FOR 40 MINUTES or so......(now half way done)

When a nice golden brown crust has formed on the potatoes, give them a stir to bring the white underside up, season again, lightly, with a bit more sea salt and black pepper..........and a light sprinkling of Oregano.

Add 1/2 cup more water if pan appears to be getting dry, and pop back into oven to brown other side of potatoes...........

You can't overcook these..........they will be delicious.
Good for "waiting" for company to arrive.......or while chicken is resting.

Definitely not your Mac Donalds french fries............

These are the kinds of potatoes we grew up on............but then that is when a roast tasted like a roast.

If you have oven constraints, you could use this above recipe surrounding the meat* in the one pan.........at the lower oven heat.......but it would take longer to crisp up. * Pork roast, Lamb, Beef, Chicken, etc.

It comes out great in a SINGLE PAN at the 420 or 425 degrees.
Again, it depends on your oven...........

I made Rosemary chicken tonight with oven roasted potatoes and added onion and real butter not garlic. Similar. yummy. I love to talk cookin'.

gomoho
10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Oh, Gracie I think you may have been premature with your chillier post. Was hot yesterday and today, but I have hope for the weekend. By the way - NOAA has forecast a colder than usual winter for Florida, let's hope NOAA is wrong.

jblum315
10-18-2012, 06:41 PM
I hope NOAA is right. I love wearing sweaters and corduroys

senior citizen
10-19-2012, 07:00 AM
I made Rosemary chicken tonight with oven roasted potatoes and added onion and real butter not garlic. Similar. yummy. I love to talk cookin'.

Who is Rosemary????

Just kidding.....I love rosemary; it's a wonderful herb.
Your chicken sounds very yummy. Real butter and onions, ditto.

Have you ever made Swedish Hasselback potatoes????

I got the recipe back in the '70s when my brother married a gal from Sweden.