PDA

View Full Version : Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus

gijoe
08-20-2013, 05:53 PM
If you want to be challenged in your christian journey, I encourage you to read: "Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus" by Kyle Idleman. You (like me) may find you are more of a 'follower' than a 'sold out', 'totally committed' follower of the Living Christ.

If you are happy with your religion, no sense in reading. You are probably quite happy with the way things are.

If, however, you desire more of Him, and sense there is 'more' than 'religion', you are right. You can experience a 'relationship' with him.
__________________________________________________ ______________

This said, I am feeling spiritually 'bankrupt', and deprived, here in the land of pleasure in The Villages and surrounding area.

I continue searching for, but have not located the following in a Church in this area:
- A Spirit-filled body of believers, that desire to foster a sense of "Community"
- A church that has dynamic, uplifting, peppy, engaging contemporary worship
- A church that has 'oversight' connectivity which helps to ensure the teachings are well grounded in the Word of God, and which requires 'accountability' to Godly biblical principles and practices
- Small group fellowships as an outreach of Sunday worship services to encourage personal growth and development and individual SERVICE or giving of each member for the benefit of others

I have visited several churches and find 'elements' of some of these things, but not a mix of all of these characteristics....and yes, I have experienced these things, which have helped foster my spiritual growth and development.

IF there is such a SPIRIT FILLED Church here in the area, or within a reasonable commute, I would like to know what it is.

At the sake of "torquing people off" - okay, nice way of saying "****ing people off", I will name a couple of places:

One large local church - has typically good messages, but the music SUCKS - big time. This of course is from my prospective and my personal experiences - at several locations around the country.

Another smaller church with a larger sister church in Ocala - has VERY good music, and pretty good messages - from my brief attendances. I did not experience a sence of friendliness, warmth or inclusion or an 'invitation' (overt or covert) to connect with anyone - unless I choose to attend one of their monthy introductory meetings at the Ocala campus. From discussion with one of the pastors, I understand they are a completely 'independent' group, without oversight. Not a bad thing, as long as they preach Biblical principles, and don't go 'astray' in teaching or theology.

_______ Assy. of God (better that I don't identify) - has dedicated and committed attendees. Twangy music and well meaning but BORING messages. I sense, but didn't hang around long enough to find out, that this may have been somewhat of a 'leagalistic' group of believers, with lots of 'do's and don'ts"

saratogaman
08-20-2013, 05:57 PM
You sound like a 'church shopper' rather than a person of strong, personal beliefs and philosophy. When you say that the music sucks, are you looking to be entertained or enlightened?
Why not form your own congregation and appeal to your type of masses.
Spare me.

Blessed2BNTV
08-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Since we are not full time Villagers we have not searched for a church home.

Please when you find the church home you are looking for, please post or send me a message.

In Christ,
Lillian

tucson
08-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Sent a pm just now.

eweissenbach
08-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Hope Lutheran fills the bill for us. Great music, great message, great community of believers.

graciegirl
08-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Sometimes it isn't the church. It is found or not found inside of us.

oot
08-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Sometimes it isn't the church. It is found or not found inside of us.
My father-in-law attend Intensive Care Ministries. Not in the Villages but to the north on 27/441. Really different from the Catholic church that I am used to, but it was really upbeat and I enjoyed visiting there. When he passed away they had a great service for him as well.

ssmith
08-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Can't speak to the churches you are looking for in TV but......the book and video series called "Not a fan" are fantastic.

God has a purpose for you right where you are. You just have to keep seeking His leading.

We have several friends who have found the right place to worship for them in The Villages.

DianeM
08-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Are you looking for a place to pray or to be entertained? Church isn't about the quality of the musical performance.

DougB
08-20-2013, 08:05 PM
If God played guitar, he would probably sound like Eric Clapton.

DianeM
08-20-2013, 08:38 PM
If God played guitar, he would probably sound like Eric Clapton.

Good one.

NotGolfer
08-21-2013, 02:21 PM
This is also a quote in the book, "Not A Fan"......I know it's hard to find just the right "fit" in a church. We all are looking for different things but when it gets down to it (truth be told)...it's about being a follower of Jesus and acting out his Great Commission. We are commanded as his followers to assemble together--this is for teaching, encouragement and accountability as well. Some parts of "The Church" has become watered down from what the original intent of it was. Besides, it's NOT a building but The People..that's what the Bible calls "Church" or "The Church".

Kyle Idleman

"When we make rules more important than people, we are no longer following Jesus. #notafan"

justjim
08-21-2013, 02:41 PM
A small group within a Church that is "preaching the gospel" sounds to me what you could be looking to find. I have not read the book---plan to. New Covenant United Methodist---give it a try of least 3 times----I guarantee you will be blessed and challenged by the Pastors sermons.

rubicon
08-21-2013, 03:37 PM
How refreshing this thread is given the hedonistic lifestyle being peddled by Hollywood. Given the killing and hate against Coptic Christians in the Middle East and the libel and slander against Christianity here more and more people are coming to realize that religion does play a positive role in their lives.

This thread is a welcome addition.