PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia - Who remembers Dick, Jane and Sally?

quirky3
09-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Who remembers Dick, Jane and Sally? This was my first reader in school. (Don't forget Spot and Puff!)

Midvale
09-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Got a copy for my grandkids.

manaboutown
09-29-2013, 10:51 AM
I do. Run Spot run! Run Spot run!

billethkid
09-29-2013, 01:31 PM
and don't forget Little Black Sambo!

btk

Peachie
09-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Who remembers Dick, Jane and Sally? This was my first reader in school. (Don't forget Spot and Puff!)

I remember those books very well, Quirky. I would read the whole book they first day they were handed out to us even though we were encouraged not to read ahead. I don't know why, but in particular, I remember the story of Mother getting dressed up to go to the city for the day on a train. I loved those books and years in school.

Are you familiar with Jocko, Jerry and Jo-Jo, the monkeys that were featured in our early "arithmetic" books?

Thanks for stirring up those old warm memories again.

kittygilchrist
09-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Nope. I had Alice and Jerry.
"Jump, Jip, Jump."

jblum315
09-29-2013, 02:13 PM
I think the Dick, Jane and Sally books are silly and unrealistic, and I thought so when I was 5 years old too.

Peachie
09-29-2013, 02:20 PM
I think the Dick, Jane and Sally books are silly and unrealistic, and I thought so when I was 5 years old too.

Of course they were, that's why we remember and enjoyed them. Not any different than the movie StarWars, some people like... some don't.

Mayeapple109
09-29-2013, 02:26 PM
I remember how proud I was when I finally was able to read the whole book. Sounding out words and paying attention to comma's (Miss Holliger said to pause at a comma) and to read very exitedly when there was an exclamation point And don't forget to read as a question, raising your voice at the end of the question sentence. Quite a lot for a first or second grader to remember. But I fell in love with reading. Thank you Miss Holliger!
Thank you Dick! Thank you Jane! Thank you very much. Thank you for my book!

manaboutown
09-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Anybody remember Der Struwwelpeter, Grimm's and Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales? I enjoyed those and gave copies to my grandchildren.

asianthree
09-29-2013, 03:22 PM
have a copy that has been well :read:

Floridagal
09-29-2013, 03:51 PM
This is Jane, this is Dick. See how they run.

I remember it quite well.

LI SNOWBIRD
09-30-2013, 09:30 AM
I remember how proud I was when I finally was able to read the whole book. Sounding out words and paying attention to comma's (Miss Holliger said to pause at a comma) and to read very exitedly when there was an exclamation point And don't forget to read as a question, raising your voice at the end of the question sentence. Quite a lot for a first or second grader to remember. But I fell in love with reading. Thank you Miss Holliger!
Thank you Dick! Thank you Jane! Thank you very much. Thank you for my book!

I agree the love of reading comes early. My sister taught elementary school and told her students that reading was a super power-- and it is

senior citizen
09-30-2013, 10:05 AM

My goodness gracious..........do I.

The funny thing is I always wanted to read and my mom did take us to the library regularly, but back in "the day" (we were born in 1945) they waited until school began.......well, I still remember my first grade teacher having me stand in front of the class and read.....she was impressed with how quickly I could read.........

Now, my own first child was reading the Dr. Suess books (similar to the simplicity of the Dick, Jane and Sally books.....repetitious, etc.) and had memorized all of them at age two. Once, my husband's employer at the time arranged for a babysitter so we could get out to a movie, being new in Vermont.......in our rural farmhouse......etc......we came home and she was flabbergasted that our two year old had read her every single Dr. Suess book.........this lady was a college professor, middle aged, just doing a favor........

This same little girl began kindergarten at Patrick Air Force base in Satellite Beach, Florida and they introduced reading in kindergarten.
Her teacher was also in awe that she could already read.....

Our second child also read early.........as did our grandchildren.

Who knew what we might have been capable of earlier??????????
I think they treated us more like babies in the 1940's and 1950's.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES............

I still love to read....but on my Kindle.

senior citizen
09-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Anybody remember Der Struwwelpeter, Grimm's and Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales? I enjoyed those and gave copies to my grandchildren.

Yes, once we could walk to the library ourselves, those were the books my little girl friends and I would borrow from the library.....and take home to read........I wonder if the kids today still read fairy tales like we did.

Our son was the youngest child, at age three, to have a library card in our town. The librarian was impressed with how he could read at such a young age..........it just came natural to both of mine......I read to them all the time since babyhood, once they could sit up on my lap.........and they still love to read, as do their spouses and children.

Unless they live in a very small town like we do, I bet kids don't even walk to the library anymore (meaning on their own.....not driven). Our daughter continued the library tradition and brought all of her three to story hour from babyhood on.......and they all borrowed books as a family........just like my mom took us in the 1940's and early '50s....until we went on our own.

SALYBOW
09-30-2013, 10:14 AM
I remember David and Ann and Little Sally. Must have been the Catholic School version. I took a lot of kidding about the little Sally part.

senior citizen
09-30-2013, 10:15 AM
I agree the love of reading comes early. My sister taught elementary school and told her students that reading was a super power-- and it is

You are so right. I've always felt that if one could read, they could learn anything.

sunny46
09-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Yes, I remember them! I still have my books where my parents had to sign a story I read each night. They are a treasure.

BobAllen1290
10-07-2013, 05:08 PM
You are so right. I've always felt that if one could read, they could learn anything.
There is no greater threat to liberty & freedom than people who cannot read or write.

Taltarzac725
10-08-2013, 08:21 AM
...but they certainly bring back some memories.

My mother was sick with some kind of flu when I was born so I had a lot of developmental problems as a kid. Education and love of books did not come into play until a teacher Barbara Mitchell at the Earl Wooster High School in Reno, Nevada made me love books by putting a great deal of faith in me and awarding me a Memorial Scholarship in the name of her recently murdered daughter Michelle in 1976.

So I had to look these readers up to see if they brought back any memories which they did. I do remember reading them in Wisconsin before we moved to Reno, Nevada in 1968 or so.

Dick and Jane History of Sally Dick and Jane (http://www.tagnwag.com/dick_and_jane_books.html)

graciegirl
10-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Nope. I had Alice and Jerry.
"Jump, Jip, Jump."

YOU baby, baby. Young thing. Tot. Alice and Jerry!

Who remembers Fred and Flossie, Bert and Nan?

And they are..................................????????

Free toast and coffee Chez G, if you have the right answer.

mac9
10-08-2013, 09:20 AM
YOU baby, baby. Young thing. Tot. Alice and Jerry!

Who remembers Fred and Flossie, Bert and Nan?

And they are..................................????????

Free toast and coffee Chez G, if you have the right answer.

The Bobbsey twins!
Does anyone remember Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories? Post WWII stories about children and their reactions to it. My mother read one to me every night until I was able to read them to her. She taught me to read when I was around 2 or 3. I've been a voracious reader ever since!

graciegirl
10-08-2013, 09:29 AM
JBlum...I defend Dick and Jane because I still believe that teaching little people how to phonetically sound out words is the best way to teach them to read.

Our grandchildren had that mastered way before school. Phonics is my choice of how to teach MOST children to read...then they skip right to sight reading.

This is kinda dear to my heart and I am prepared to fight about it. ;)

I loved teaching little ones to read.

bookseller49
10-08-2013, 03:38 PM
I still sell the few that are still available in print!

jblum315
10-08-2013, 04:06 PM
I remember the Bobbsey Twins. 2 sets of twins. I think they're still in print but probably at an exorbitant price. Anyway they would be too dated for our grandchildren.

Barefoot
10-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Did anyone ever read "Five Little Peppers and How They Grew"?

I used to avidly read any Nancy Drew book.

Villages PL
10-08-2013, 04:38 PM

My very first book was a book my mother bought for me to start first grade. It was the Rumpelstiltskin fairy tale. I was soooo proud to have my very own book.

What made a big impression on me was when my kindergarten teacher told us the story of The Three Little Pigs. It was a great lesson about being prepared for what might happen in the future. (Plan ahead...think ahead.)