Nostalgia - Who remembers Dick, Jane and Sally?

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum member
Default Nostalgia - Who remembers Dick, Jane and Sally?

Who remembers Dick, Jane and Sally? This was my first reader in school. (Don't forget Spot and Puff!)
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Dick Jane Sally.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	21737  

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 09-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Got a copy for my grandkids.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,771 Posts

I do. Run Spot run! Run Spot run!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

and don't forget Little Black Sambo!

btk
Old 09-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Who remembers Dick, Jane and Sally? This was my first reader in school. (Don't forget Spot and Puff!)
I remember those books very well, Quirky. I would read the whole book they first day they were handed out to us even though we were encouraged not to read ahead. I don't know why, but in particular, I remember the story of Mother getting dressed up to go to the city for the day on a train. I loved those books and years in school.

Are you familiar with Jocko, Jerry and Jo-Jo, the monkeys that were featured in our early "arithmetic" books?

Thanks for stirring up those old warm memories again.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Sage

Nope. I had Alice and Jerry.
"Jump, Jip, Jump."
Old 09-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Sage

I think the Dick, Jane and Sally books are silly and unrealistic, and I thought so when I was 5 years old too.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 09-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I think the Dick, Jane and Sally books are silly and unrealistic, and I thought so when I was 5 years old too.
Of course they were, that's why we remember and enjoyed them. Not any different than the movie StarWars, some people like... some don't.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:26 PM

I remember how proud I was when I finally was able to read the whole book. Sounding out words and paying attention to comma's (Miss Holliger said to pause at a comma) and to read very exitedly when there was an exclamation point And don't forget to read as a question, raising your voice at the end of the question sentence. Quite a lot for a first or second grader to remember. But I fell in love with reading. Thank you Miss Holliger!
Thank you Dick! Thank you Jane! Thank you very much. Thank you for my book!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,771 Posts

Anybody remember Der Struwwelpeter, Grimm's and Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales? I enjoyed those and gave copies to my grandchildren.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

have a copy that has been well
Old 09-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Veteran member

This is Jane, this is Dick. See how they run.

I remember it quite well.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayeapple109 View Post
I remember how proud I was when I finally was able to read the whole book. Sounding out words and paying attention to comma's (Miss Holliger said to pause at a comma) and to read very exitedly when there was an exclamation point And don't forget to read as a question, raising your voice at the end of the question sentence. Quite a lot for a first or second grader to remember. But I fell in love with reading. Thank you Miss Holliger!
Thank you Dick! Thank you Jane! Thank you very much. Thank you for my book!
I agree the love of reading comes early. My sister taught elementary school and told her students that reading was a super power-- and it is
Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
My goodness gracious..........do I.

The funny thing is I always wanted to read and my mom did take us to the library regularly, but back in "the day" (we were born in 1945) they waited until school began.......well, I still remember my first grade teacher having me stand in front of the class and read.....she was impressed with how quickly I could read.........

Now, my own first child was reading the Dr. Suess books (similar to the simplicity of the Dick, Jane and Sally books.....repetitious, etc.) and had memorized all of them at age two. Once, my husband's employer at the time arranged for a babysitter so we could get out to a movie, being new in Vermont.......in our rural farmhouse......etc......we came home and she was flabbergasted that our two year old had read her every single Dr. Suess book.........this lady was a college professor, middle aged, just doing a favor........

This same little girl began kindergarten at Patrick Air Force base in Satellite Beach, Florida and they introduced reading in kindergarten.
Her teacher was also in awe that she could already read.....

Our second child also read early.........as did our grandchildren.

Who knew what we might have been capable of earlier??????????
I think they treated us more like babies in the 1940's and 1950's.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES............

I still love to read....but on my Kindle.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Anybody remember Der Struwwelpeter, Grimm's and Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales? I enjoyed those and gave copies to my grandchildren.
Yes, once we could walk to the library ourselves, those were the books my little girl friends and I would borrow from the library.....and take home to read........I wonder if the kids today still read fairy tales like we did.

Our son was the youngest child, at age three, to have a library card in our town. The librarian was impressed with how he could read at such a young age..........it just came natural to both of mine......I read to them all the time since babyhood, once they could sit up on my lap.........and they still love to read, as do their spouses and children.

Unless they live in a very small town like we do, I bet kids don't even walk to the library anymore (meaning on their own.....not driven). Our daughter continued the library tradition and brought all of her three to story hour from babyhood on.......and they all borrowed books as a family........just like my mom took us in the 1940's and early '50s....until we went on our own.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.