Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Corona virus (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/corona-virus-303702/)

PugMom 03-12-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1726393)
As of yesterday's news, there were no cases in Sumter County and only 14 in the entire state. Where did you get your information about the hospitals?

i agree. there's so much misinformation & downright hysteria associated with this. the more outlandish the claims, the less of an impact it's having on me. am sick of hearing about it, already.

rockandroller 03-12-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnevie (Post 1726600)
most of our waiters, waitresses and other service personnel are younger. it's possible for them to contract this virus and be asymptomatic or with minor symptoms. they may depend on tips so come to work if they think they only have a cold or allergies. it's not just the residents passing it to each other.

I didn't think of that!

dillywho 03-12-2020 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1726393)
As of yesterday's news, there were no cases in Sumter County and only 14 in the entire state. Where did you get your information about the hospitals?

This happens just about every year with regular flu cases. Of course, that all gets under-reported in the media. All the focus is now on Coronavirus. Remember, these hospitals are not exclusive to residents of The Villages.

dillywho 03-12-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villageswimmer (Post 1726400)
Yes, do tell. Hospitals don’t normally release such information.

That said, where DO you go? One can’t just walk into an ER filled with staff and patients who are not protected.

Last year, when my husband was transported by ambulance, they said that he had to be taken to Leesburg because TVRH was full and unable to accept any more patients at that time. It does happen. I can see both being in that position now with the increase in population, not just in TV, but also in the surrounding areas. Neither hospital is not exclusive to Villages residents.

caljeff 03-12-2020 08:00 AM

A consideration before driving out of the area; those areas too, will have their own Covid-19 issues with which to contend.

karostay 03-12-2020 08:43 AM

This Virus reminds me of Orson Wells movie War of the worlds were The Aliens

rmd2 03-12-2020 09:29 AM

Mayo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor (Post 1726591)
The Mayo Clinic at Jacksonville is an option if you can make the trip.

Yes, this would be my choice.

agilles 03-12-2020 10:53 AM

You are supposed to call the local county health department if you think you have the virus.

jswirs 03-12-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phof1 (Post 1726375)
If we need to to the hospital with the virus - where do we go? Leesburg hospital and The Villges hospital are already full. There are no beds available prior to the virus.

What you fear you will attract. \Just one of the unwritten laws of the universe.

golfing eagles 03-12-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy (Post 1726727)
Probably. In another thread a golfer, who just returned from Italy, was coughing and snotting here. There's a two week incubation period, right now there are around 150,000 people in The Villages, most are old. Many have recently traveled, been on cruises.... odds are its here.

IF the statement was true, and IF he is infected

Bjeanj 03-12-2020 01:50 PM

I just got over a COLD and I was sneezing and dripping quite a bit. Was nothing more than a COLD.

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-12-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockandroller (Post 1726616)
I didn't think of that!

I was at a store today picking some stuff up and the cashier was coughing right in front of me. Not even into her hand or a tissue. Even if it's just seasonal allergies she should've at least acknowledged that she was doing it "oh excuse me!" or "sorry" or "it's okay, just allergies promise" or "asthma attack, just a moment please"

Anything would've been less scary than her just exploding her breath out within 3 feet of my face without a word.

Bjeanj 03-12-2020 03:50 PM

You should’ve said something.

kittygilchrist 03-12-2020 04:19 PM

If you want to avoid the coronavirus, stay home. If you want to risk it, go out. If you want maximum exposure find a large group of people to mingle with. If you think oh I have a healthy immune system, good, you can survive.. and infect others. We live in Lalaland and nobody dies because we have no cemeteries. I have a friend in TV who is self-isolating with a virus. I don’t believe the Bubble is going to be an effective barrier. An attitude of bluster leads to risk-taking. Look up the resources. Johns Hopkins has a map of cases and it is sobering. Keep your eye on the rising numbers of Florida cases. We are all old—the highest risk factor for death.

kittygilchrist 03-12-2020 04:37 PM

Not that I have not also taken risks, but so that we will recognize the severity and measure what we are doing.