Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Actual Florida Hospitalization Numbers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/actual-florida-hospitalization-numbers-309000/)

GoodLife 07-14-2020 08:10 AM

Are Florida's hospitals overrun with Covid patients?

You see many media reports that Florida's hospitals are being overrun with a surge of new covid 19 cases.

The problem with those stories is that actual data shows it's not true. As of yesterday July 13 here are the numbers.

Today's occupancy:
All Beds: 77.1%
ICU Beds: 79.5%

One week ago (July 6th):
All Beds: 75.8%
ICU Beds: 77.8%

75% to 85% occupancy is considered to be normal and the "sweet spot" for hospitals, they are built to make a profit but they like to have a little excess capacity.

Covid 19 patients occupy 13.4% of those beds, the rest are occupied by normal elective surgeries, heart attacks etc.

You can find accurate data at this site, which is updated daily. You can check for regular and ICU beds by county and hospital every day. This site is the Agency for Health Care Administration, a State agency.

Workbook':' Public

At the top of the page you can click on the stats you want to see, beds by county, ICU beds by county, ICU beds by hospital etc Currently there are 19% of all Florida ICU beds available.

What about the hotspots? Are they being "overrun"

Broward: 12% available ICU beds

Miami Dade: 15% available ICU beds

Orange: 27% available ICU beds

Palm Beach: 26% available ICU beds

What about Sumter? 22% available ICU beds

There are currently two Florida counties with zero available ICU beds, Nassau and Okeechobee, these counties only have a total of 8 ICU beds each.

You can bookmark the link above and check for yourself anytime you want.

GoodLife 07-14-2020 12:14 PM

///

Edjkoz 07-14-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1802979)
You see many media reports that Florida's hospitals are being overrun with a surge of new covid 19 cases.

The problem with those stories is that actual data shows it's not true. As of yesterday July 13 here are the numbers.

Today's occupancy:

One week ago (July 6th):

75% to 85% occupancy is considered to be normal and the "sweet spot" for hospitals, they are built to make a profit but they like to have a little excess capacity.

Covid 19 patients occupy 13.4% of those beds, the rest are occupied by normal elective surgeries, heart attacks etc.

You can find accurate data at this site, which is updated daily. You can check for regular and ICU beds by county and hospital every day. This site is the Agency for Health Care Administration, a State agency.

At the top of the page you can click on the stats you want to see, beds by county, ICU beds by county, ICU beds by hospital etc Currently there are 19% of all Florida ICU beds available.

There are currently two Florida counties with zero available ICU beds, Nassau and Okeechobee, these counties only have a total of 8 ICU beds each.

Thank you for the reality check :)

Stu from NYC 07-14-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Today's occupancy:

One week ago (July 6th):

But the media wants us to think the world is coming to an end how can you add facts to the narrative?

Bonnevie 07-14-2020 03:17 PM

so for all of Sumter county there are 9 ICU beds available.....our population is about 130,000....

apparently it''s of concern enough to have Villages Health put out the advisory

JoMar 07-14-2020 03:21 PM

And of course that site is the absolute authority on everything COVID in Florida. Believe what statistics you wish, but people are being hospitalized and are dying. With hospital administrators speaking out on their resources and the reduction I (and I may be wrong) don't believe we are getting better, that the rates have stabilized or that the danger is decreasing and will disappear in a few months......but that's just me.

Toolong 07-14-2020 03:43 PM

I take no comfort in that. Cases have exploded in the last two weeks and the disease that afflicts many of those folks hasn't progressed to the point they need an ICU bed. 132 deaths were reported today. That is a lagging number in that many of those people were ill for weeks before they passed and their deaths may not have been reported until even later. In a month or so, we'll know how many of the 10K to 15K a day being infected now actually die or suffer debilitating effects .

The President said this was the equivalent of war and covid is the enemy. Our goal as a nation should be to defeat the enemy, not to downplay it.

GoodLife 07-14-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnevie (Post 1803198)
so for all of Sumter county there are 9 ICU beds available.....our population is about 130,000....

apparently it''s of concern enough to have Villages Health put out the advisory

The advisory did not state that the hospitals are overrun with covid patients. Mostly it was an advisory to stay safe during this new surge.

JoMar 07-14-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1803210)
The advisory did not state that the hospitals are overrun with covid patients. Mostly it was an advisory to stay safe during this new surge.

If it wasn't based on some facts they wouldn't have put it out. Advent Health has made similar statements, a little stronger in their case, but seems the Hospitals are laying the ground work for a less than optimistic forecast.

GoodLife 07-14-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1803199)
And of course that site is the absolute authority on everything COVID in Florida. Believe what statistics you wish, but people are being hospitalized and are dying. With hospital administrators speaking out on their resources and the reduction I (and I may be wrong) don't believe we are getting better, that the rates have stabilized or that the danger is decreasing and will disappear in a few months......but that's just me.

It's a State agency. I trust them much more than reporters with an agenda.

crash 07-15-2020 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolong (Post 1803208)
I take no comfort in that. Cases have exploded in the last two weeks and the disease that afflicts many of those folks hasn't progressed to the point they need an ICU bed. 132 deaths were reported today. That is a lagging number in that many of those people were ill for weeks before they passed and their deaths may not have been reported until even later. In a month or so, we'll know how many of the 10K to 15K a day being infected now actually die or suffer debilitating effects .

The President said this was the equivalent of war and covid is the enemy. Our goal as a nation should be to defeat the enemy, not to downplay it.

It is the president doing the down playing it and people are scrambling looking for reasons to agree with him. It is real and if everyone took it seriously we could win the war.

Dana1963 07-15-2020 06:11 AM

Quote:

Today's occupancy:

One week ago (July 6th):

Please don’t let these number confuse you. Hospitals have multiple ICU’s Neo Natal, pediatric, Cardiology, Neurology, obstetrics. These are isolated in different areas of hospital.
Covid Patients are isolated mostly in negative pressure rooms with teams of nurses, respiratory techs and Drs providing for their care in GENERAL ICU. The bed count is not what you may think.

allus70 07-15-2020 06:25 AM

Hope the Mayor of Hialeah sees this and takes comfort being that he stated the ICU situation at hospitals in his city is critical and nearing capacity.

dewilson58 07-15-2020 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash (Post 1803336)
It is the president doing the down playing it and people are scrambling looking for reasons to agree with him. It is real and if everyone took it seriously we could win the war.

It's the Developer's fault.

:1rotfl:

GoodLife 07-15-2020 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana1963 (Post 1803348)
Please don’t let these number confuse you. Hospitals have multiple ICU’s Neo Natal, pediatric, Cardiology, Neurology, obstetrics. These are isolated in different areas of hospital.
Covid Patients are isolated mostly in negative pressure rooms with teams of nurses, respiratory techs and Drs providing for their care in GENERAL ICU. The bed count is not what you may think.

Did you miss this part? 13.4% of rooms occupied by covid 19 patients, the rest are normal surgeries. Any ICU room can be converted to negative pressure if needed.

COVID-19 Forced Hospitals to Build Negative Pressure Rooms Fast | Infection Control Today

davephan 07-15-2020 07:13 AM

You have to be careful if you listen or watch the fake mainstream news. They tell you stories like Texas hospitals are nearly full. They leave out the fact that only 15% are COVID-19 patients. The fake mainstream news hopes that people will assume that all of the patients are COVID-19 patients.

Recently, an NBC contributor faked that they had COVID-19. He was tested negative 6 times for COVID-19 and didn’t have the antibodies either. No one should be watching or listening to the mainstream media, which is nothing but propaganda.

Mohawksin 07-15-2020 07:14 AM

>>Florida's hospitals are being overrun with a surge of new covid 19 cases. <<

Those English majors that write for newspapers can write those words which are true if there are TWO hospitals in all of Florida in the stated condition.

Foxmd 07-15-2020 07:15 AM

Can you share the email address for the chief medical officer? I did not receive the email he sent.

GoodLife 07-15-2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxmd (Post 1803393)
Can you share the email address for the chief medical officer? I did not receive the email he sent.

Bonnevie 07-15-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1803210)

sorry, but the very cynical me views this as The Villages being very scared that it could turn into a disaster. which is why, with today's article on the front page, they again focused on the virus. I view this as alarming as they have usually relegated virus information to a blurb somewhere buried deep inside the newspaper.

if others want to quibble about percentage of beds, etc. fine...but 9 available ICU beds in Sumter County is troubling to me.

graciegirl 07-15-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnevie (Post 1803412)
sorry, but the very cynical me views this as The Villages being very scared that it could turn into a disaster. which is why, with today's article on the front page, they again focused on the virus. I view this as alarming as they have usually relegated virus information to a blurb somewhere buried deep inside the newspaper.

if others want to quibble about percentage of beds, etc. fine...but 9 available ICU beds in Sumter County is troubling to me.

Two years ago at Christmastime my heart slowed down to 37 beats a minute and I was placed in "Critical Care" which is not the same as "Intensive care". I think there are a lot more of those beds and beds in what they call the "Step down unit", where people are still in great danger and monitored closely.

what is the difference between critical care and intensive care? - Bing

Stu from NYC 07-15-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnevie (Post 1803412)

Once upon a time would treat stuff in the media as factual/ Now I feel we should question everything they print as do not trust them.

Stu from NYC 07-15-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davephan (Post 1803390)
You have to be careful if you listen or watch the fake mainstream news. They tell you stories like Texas hospitals are nearly full. They leave out the fact that only 15% are COVID-19 patients. The fake mainstream news hopes that people will assume that all of the patients are COVID-19 patients.

Recently, an NBC contributor faked that they had COVID-19. He was tested negative 6 times for COVID-19 and didn’t have the antibodies either. No one should be watching or listening to the mainstream media, which is nothing but propaganda.

So sad that the media keeps putting out phony stories

UseYourBrain 07-15-2020 08:09 AM

I appreciate this information because all the other Numbers have serious issues Deaths counted as Covid Deaths are the number that died WITH Covid not just deaths FROM Covid. So if you died from a gunshot wound or a heart attack or whatever it would be counted as a “death”. Personally, I would rather know how many died from it. It with it

Also, now they are counting “Probable cases” Not just actual positive tests as “cases” . I’ve heard and need to fact check that in some areas one case can be counted as 10-20 cases. Since this is a new way of counting, in addition to doing more testing, of course the numbers would really surge.

Thus, I have been thinking that the best way to know the Extent of the issue is to see what is going on with ICU beds. Another clue might be in how many beds are filled Now compared to preCOVID.

Waltdisney4life 07-15-2020 08:11 AM

Words are powerful they can mislead the media is a great example I reread the Village Health update I do not see advisory I just see where he says this is an update but using the word advisory can put fear in peoples lives so please let’s be careful with the words we choose.

theruizs 07-15-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Today's occupancy:

One week ago (July 6th):

This means nothing without context, nor without comparison to pre-covid-19, nor without commentary from the actual experts who know what these numbers mean given we are in a pandemic. You are working awfully hard to dowmplay the seriousness of the situation, not sure what your agenda is but I wish you would find a hobby. This mis-information and out-of-context data just confuses things and encourages people to not take appropriate precautions. Do you really want to be responsible for that?

allsport 07-15-2020 08:25 AM

The fallacy in your argument is that you are using information from the state of FL, do not believe that to be true. Remember the gov fired the person who was keeping the stats because she would not lie. You are very foolish to believe that site. Look and listen to the medical people in those affected areas, they are being overrun and the gov is a fool.

GoodLife 07-15-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theruizs (Post 1803447)
This means nothing without context, nor without comparison to pre-covid-19, nor without commentary from the actual experts who know what these numbers mean given we are in a pandemic. You are working awfully hard to dowmplay the seriousness of the situation, not sure what your agenda is but I wish you would find a hobby. This mis-information and out-of-context data just confuses things and encourages people to not take appropriate precautions. Do you really want to be responsible for that?

Normal Hospital occupancy rates are 75-85% without a pandemic. Google it

No mis-information has been posted, just numbers on Hospital occupancies and capacities that are updated daily by a Florida State agency.

GoodLife 07-15-2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allsport (Post 1803450)
The fallacy in your argument is that you are using information from the state of FL, do not believe that to be true. Remember the gov fired the person who was keeping the stats because she would not lie. You are very foolish to believe that site. Look and listen to the medical people in those affected areas, they are being overrun and the gov is a fool.

Fake news, she was fired for being incompetent.

The hospital stats I posted are from an entirely different Florida State website.

crosby114 07-15-2020 08:46 AM

Always knew the virus hype was a hoax!

JoeinFL 07-15-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theruizs (Post 1803447)

I agree with you. It seems so many want to downplay this Pandemic.
How about we give the health care workers a break? Everyone do your part. Wear a mask, social distance and stop posting numbers that could easily be manipulated.
People are getting sick at record numbers and they’re ending up dead.
Wake up.

theruizs 07-15-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1803460)
Normal Hospital occupancy rates are 75-85% without a pandemic. Google it

No mis-information has been posted, just numbers on Hospital occupancies and capacities that are updated daily by a Florida State agency.

Yes, google and Fox make you an expert. Again no context from those actually in the thick of it. Why is it every doctor and nurse interviewed are so concerned, stressed out, etc.? There is so much more going on here and your attempts to simplify and minimize are not helping. Do you really want to be responsible for convincing others to treat this lightly? I wish TOTV would step in and put an end to these kinds of mis-information posts.

GoodLife 07-15-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theruizs (Post 1803477)
Yes, google and Fox make you an expert. Again no context from those actually in the thick of it. Why is it every doctor and nurse interviewed are so concerned, stressed out, etc.? There is so much more going on here and your attempts to simplify and minimize are not helping. Do you really want to be responsible for convincing others to treat this lightly? I wish TOTV would step in and put an end to these kinds of mis-information posts.

I'm already an expert, I told you to google it so you could be better informed about normal hospital occupancy rates without a pandemic.

If media wants a story about hospitals being overrun they call up the very busiest ones and get the quotes they want for the story. They could easily access the same data I linked in this thread but that is not the story they want to tell.

wayneman 07-15-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeinFL (Post 1803476)
I agree with you. It seems so many want to downplay this Pandemic.
How about we give the health care workers a break? Everyone do your part. Wear a mask, social distance and stop posting numbers that could easily be manipulated.
People are getting sick at record numbers and they’re ending up dead.
Wake up.

Are any of the people commenting on these posts currently working in healthcare, in a hospital setting and have first hand experience of what is really going on?? I am, and i can tell you so many of you are way off.
Unfortunately, talking out on such a forum could cost many of us our jobs. If we all could talk without fear of repercussions, you would be amazed at the reality of the situation. Numbers are numbers and can be spun in many different ways. The reality and truth lies with those who live in the environment on a daily basis.

Fisherman 07-15-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Today's occupancy:
Numbers and statistics can be viewed by anyone.
One week ago (July 6th):

Numbers and statistics can be viewed anyway you want them, whether true or not. But, you are missing the point by being reactive instead of proactive. That has been the problem since day one with our a President and our governor. Is it comforting to know that an ICU bed is available? I guess, but more important what is the game plan to stop the spread so we don’t need the ICU bed?? Florida has significant issues and something has to be done. The Villages is not a protective bubble..... I know three people who have had it or have it. People are coming here to get away from it in South Florida. Just met a couple on the golf course that got a cheap summer rental to escape it. Our numbers do not even support being in Phase 2. It only takes a few to start a major spread as evidenced in house parties, bars etc.
Considering our demographics and that many people over 65 have or have had medical issues, I think we should each manage our risk and the risk to others.

theruizs 07-15-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosby114 (Post 1803471)
Always knew the virus hype was a hoax!

I have a bridge over Hwy 44 I’d like to sell you too.:icon_wink:

twinklesweep 07-15-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1803197)
But the media wants us to think the world is coming to an end how can you add facts to the narrative?

Perhaps we are tuned in to different media out there. The media I experience most assuredly is NOT urging me "to think the world is coming to an end." It is, however, making a strong point that I feel is accurate: that there is still considerable more Covid-19 ahead of us than anyone cares to acknowledge, and if we don't handle it wisely, the problem with only continue and possibly worsen. Possibly, not certainty!

theruizs 07-15-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1803499)
I'm already an expert, I told you to google it so you could be better informed about normal hospital occupancy rates without a pandemic.

If media wants a story about hospitals being overrun they call up the very busiest ones and get the quotes they want for the story. They could easily access the same data I linked in this thread but that is not the story they want to tell.

If you don’t believe the media’s data and story, why would we believe yours. I can google your data, I can google their data, why should I believe yours? Again, I think I will stick with what those who are actually involved in dealing with it have to save and show. I’m just trying to explain to you that you cannot do what you’re doing here without responsibility. And as close as we all are to having to account for our mistakes I think it’s good to avoid new ones as much as possible, FWIW.

GoodLife 07-15-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisherman (Post 1803507)
Numbers and statistics can be viewed anyway you want them, whether true or not. But, you are missing the point by being reactive instead of proactive. That has been the problem since day one with our a President and our governor. Is it comforting to know that an ICU bed is available? I guess, but more important what is the game plan to stop the spread so we don’t need the ICU bed?? Florida has significant issues and something has to be done. The Villages is not a protective bubble..... I know three people who have had it or have it. People are coming here to get away from it in South Florida. Just met a couple on the golf course that got a cheap summer rental to escape it. Our numbers do not even support being in Phase 2. It only takes a few to start a major spread as evidenced in house parties, bars etc.
Considering our demographics and that many people over 65 have or have had medical issues, I think we should each manage our risk and the risk to others.

0.6% of Sumter County residents have caught covid since day one. As of July 4, there were 133 covid cases in The Villages itself. So percentage of Villagers is even smaller. The median age of new cases for last 3 days is 40, 28, and 45. What's that mean? Villagers are being very careful and don't need the panic pushers unsolicited advice.

GoodLife 07-15-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theruizs (Post 1803518)
If you don’t believe the media’s data and story, why would we believe yours. I can google your data, I can google their data, why should I believe yours? Again, I think I will stick with what those who are actually involved in dealing with it have to save and show. I’m just trying to explain to you that you cannot do what you’re doing here without responsibility. And as close as we all are to having to account for our mistakes I think it’s good to avoid new ones as much as possible, FWIW.

It's not my data, it comes from

AHCA: About AHCA

I'm not doing anything other than posting the most accurate data possible. If news media would report accurate data I'd have fewer threads to post.

Believe whatever you like :icon_wink::icon_wink: