Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Removing hedges (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/removing-hedges-346458/)

Flyers999 12-31-2023 06:07 PM

Removing hedges

I know there's a fine that one must pay if they remove a large, healthy tree from there property, but what about removing a large, long hedge?

villagetinker 12-31-2023 07:07 PM

Make sure this is on your property, I know many homes that have hedges in the backyard that are NOT on their property and cannot be touched. Now to your specific question, the GENERAL rule any changes to the landscaping, outside of the house, etc need to have ARC approval, so to be on the safe side I would at a minimum call them.

tophcfa 12-31-2023 07:27 PM

As long as it’s on your property it’s fair game. Even the rules regarding trees have been significantly relaxed, unless it’s a coveted live oak. If feasible location wise, I would wrap a noose type tow strap around the base and hook the other end to the trailer hitch on my truck and rip it out of the ground root base and all. Just be careful there aren’t any nearby irrigation lines that could become collateral damage.

Bogie Shooter 12-31-2023 08:21 PM

I would go with VT’s advice.

shaw8700@outlook.com 12-31-2023 09:00 PM

I would ALWAYS go with VT’s advice!

Topspinmo 12-31-2023 10:29 PM

The rule on trees I read in my district 4” or less trunk size can be junked? But there upteen districts all with what seems different rules and rule for us borders are different from developer’s. Hedges aren’t trees. But read rules in your district to be sure or as suggested call. As close as most houses I would make sure it is well within your property boundaries. I would also see what’s beyond hedge? Might be something you want blocked out? You need to look up rules for your district anyway and be somewhat informed on what can and can’t do.

Two Bills 01-01-2024 03:04 AM

Prune it to ground level.

Dusty_Star 01-01-2024 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2286915)
Even the rules regarding trees have been significantly relaxed, unless it’s a coveted live oak.

I think even the live oaks have lost their protection. The state removed it a couple of years ago & The Villages has finally followed.

fdpaq0580 01-01-2024 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2286949)

LOL! I almost did a spit take. Thanks for the laugh!

Topspinmo 01-01-2024 11:33 AM

Quote:

The view might be worse than hedge?

Papa_lecki 01-01-2024 12:08 PM

Quote:

Fertilize it with bleach, wait for the neighbors to complain.

Veracity 01-02-2024 07:19 AM

Residents will no longer need ARC approval to remove trees from their property

Copy/Paste from September 8th article in **************.Com:

Residents will no longer need Architectural Review Committee approval to remove trees from their property.

Supervisors in community development districts in The Villages are relaxing the ARC requirement for tree removal as it has become unnecessary.

In 2019, legislators approved a Gov. Ron DeSantis push to allow homeowners to remove trees from their property without having to receive the blessing of local government.

“The state of Florida has made it very easy to remove trees. All a homeowner has to do is get an arborist’s report,” Deputy District Manager Carrie Duckett said. “Going to ARC is really a moot point.”

Some officials are mourning the fact that so many homeowners are cutting down trees. Now there’s one less hurdle for them to clear before tree removal.

“I have seen people buy a house and then cut the trees down. It bothers me to no end to see these beautiful mature trees cut down,” said Community Development District 1 Supervisor Kathy Porter.

When the change goes through after public hearings, the following trees will no longer receive ARC approval for removal:

• Oaks

• Magnolias

• Elms

• Maples

• Holly

Residents have always been allowed to remove palm trees without approval because palm trees are considered grass. However, Villagers living in the Lady Lake portion of Florida’s Friendliest Hometown have been required to receive permission to cut down palm trees.

airstreamingypsy 01-02-2024 08:42 AM

Why would you want to remove a hedge, I would enjoy the privacy it gives me.

Vermilion Villager 01-02-2024 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2286915)
As long as it’s on your property it’s fair game. Even the rules regarding trees have been significantly relaxed, unless it’s a coveted live oak. If feasible location wise, I would wrap a noose type tow strap around the base and hook the other end to the trailer hitch on my truck and rip it out of the ground root base and all. Just be careful there aren’t any nearby irrigation lines that could become collateral damage.

:1rotfl::1rotfl: WHERE ARE YOU FROM?!?!?!?
I just have this vision of some old codger with a Confederate flag on his 1977 Chevy 4X4 in the front yard at one of the designer homes yelling :OK everybody stand back!!!"......:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

sallyg 01-02-2024 08:48 AM

Call ARC to check. Better safe than sorry.