Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Golf frustration (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/golf-frustration-347058/)

natjos 01-23-2024 11:56 AM

Golf frustration

Well I have finally experienced the difficulty getting a Tee time that others have complained about. It has everything to do with the golfers in all of the new developments coming north because of the lack of courses in the south. I have been here for 10 years and have never been constantly shut out of getting a time. I went on 6 days before and asked for a starting time within a four hour spread. I had 4 points at the time. Didn't get any of the three days requested. I think that groups are forming leagues down south and rotating request so that there are request with only 1 or 2 points. I have golfed with people who are traveling an hour by cart to get to the north end to golf. My reason for owning in the Villages is quickly fading.

tophcfa 01-23-2024 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natjos (Post 2293940)
Well I have finally experienced the difficulty getting a Tee time that others have complained about. It has everything to do with the golfers in all of the new developments coming north because of the lack of courses in the south. I have been here for 10 years and have never been constantly shut out of getting a time. I went on 6 days before and asked for a starting time within a four hour spread. I had 4 points at the time. Didn't get any of the three days requested. I think that groups are forming leagues down south and rotating request so that there are request with only 1 or 2 points. I have golfed with people who are traveling an hour by cart to get to the north end to golf. My reason for owning in the Villages is quickly fading.

It is a real issue that didn’t exist several years ago. It’s simple math, the amount of golf holes per rooftop has been significantly diluted since ground was broken south of 44 and it gets worse every passing year. The new golf being built is not nearly enough to rectify the issue, it’s just marginally slowing the rate of dilution.

Bogie Shooter 01-23-2024 12:11 PM

There was half the population 10 years ago.

dewilson58 01-23-2024 01:11 PM

Quote:

I think that groups are forming leagues down south and rotating request so that there are request with only 1 or 2 points.

Conspiracy Theory...............please expand on this, inquiring minds want to know.

tophcfa 01-23-2024 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 2293948)
There was half the population 10 years ago.

True, and almost the same amount of golf holes.

Flyers999 01-23-2024 03:21 PM

You mentioned that you had "4 points at the time." I'm assuming you are playing executive (you didn't mention.) It's not about having points 6 days before tee time, it's how many points you have when the algorithm is run, which is usually 3 or 4 days before tee time.
Having four points means you have played four times in the past seven days. That's a lot. I would vote that golfer's be limited to three days a week executive. There are some that play every day; one can usually get a tee time if one if a single.
I play executive twice a week and can't remember the last time I had a problem. I'll play Championship if I play more.
I agree with your overall complaint though. These worthless pitch and putts are to blame.

Laker14 01-23-2024 03:33 PM

Quote:

Were you asking for yourself as a single? How many courses did you put on your request list?

You probably know this, but asking 6 days ahead doesn't give you any preference over those who put in a request 2 hours before they run the program allotting the times.

natjos 01-23-2024 04:08 PM

no

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers999 (Post 2293974)
You mentioned that you had "4 points at the time." I'm assuming you are playing executive (you didn't mention.) It's not about having points 6 days before tee time, it's how many points you have when the algorithm is run, which is usually 3 or 4 days before tee time.
Having four points means you have played four times in the past seven days. That's a lot. I would vote that golfer's be limited to three days a week executive. There are some that play every day; one can usually get a tee time if one if a single.
I play executive twice a week and can't remember the last time I had a problem. I'll play Championship if I play more.
I agree with your overall complaint though. These worthless pitch and putts are to blame.

I didn't play four times. I played twice and had two poinst for cancelling due to weather.

natjos 01-23-2024 04:10 PM

two

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker14 (Post 2293977)
Were you asking for yourself as a single? How many courses did you put on your request list?

You probably know this, but asking 6 days ahead doesn't give you any preference over those who put in a request 2 hours before they run the program allotting the times.

I selected 5 courses.

shut the front door 01-23-2024 04:35 PM

I just don't even play golf during snowbird season. I have other sports that I play, and other than snowbird season, I don't have the newbs coming up here and invading my turf. When the snowbirds are gone, I get back to my nice leisurely game. Eventually, they will have their own courses and they can stay down there where they think things are so much better....

Rainger99 01-23-2024 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shut the front door (Post 2293988)
Eventually, they will have their own courses and they can stay down there where they think things are so much better....

We don’t go up north to bother you. We go up north because the developer built most of the courses up north.

There are 41 executives and 3 pitch and putts. 36 of the executives are north of 44 and 29 are north of 466A.

There are 5 executives south of 44 and all 3 pitch and putts are south of 44.

I would love not to have to drive 30-45 minutes to play an executive course. I played with a group the other day and they said that they have 4 executives and 1 championship within a mile of their house.

I am about two miles from a pitch and putt.

Once Eastport is built out, things should get better but since there are also 14 new Villages planned for Eastport, I expect tee times will still be difficult!

michgary 01-23-2024 05:11 PM

informative

thanks for all the input here,, ii just go up for a single in the morning and get in most days,, and also play with womens groups alot ,, in the afternoon,, just fyi not all bad ,,:coolsmiley:

BrianL99 01-23-2024 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2293990)

Once Eastport is built out, things should get better but since there are also 14 new Villages planned for Eastport, I expect tee times will still be difficult!

A man has to have hopes & dreams, regardlessly of the likelihood of them coming to fruition.

Marathon Man 01-23-2024 08:00 PM

Quote:

"Free golf was the main draw. Walking is already free."

You came for the free golf. And now you resent others who did the same thing. One option would be to pay to play on the champ courses at least some of the time.

MrChip72 01-23-2024 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2294012)
A man has to have hopes & dreams, regardlessly of the likelihood of them coming to fruition.

Many of these 11 or so new courses are currently in various stages of development. For the most part they're mapped out already at the bare minimum. It's obvious that the developer is prioritizing new courses ASAP after being slow on rolling new ones out for years.