Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Weather Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/weather-talk-515/)
-   -   The Runaway Greenhouse Myth (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/weather-talk-515/runaway-greenhouse-myth-341700/)

sounding 05-30-2023 01:07 PM

The Runaway Greenhouse Myth

Our current 7-year cooling trend is evidence of the runaway greenhouse myth. This myth, made popular by Carl Sagan, will be discussed June 2 at 4 PM at the Lake Miona Recreation Center for the Philosophy Club.

Bill14564 05-30-2023 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sounding (Post 2222085)
Our current 7-year cooling trend is evidence of the runaway greenhouse myth. This myth, made popular by Carl Sagan, will be discussed June 2 at 4 PM at the Lake Miona Recreation Center for the Philosophy Club.

Your 7-year cooling trend is a myth as has been explained several times on this forum. (Or just very poor data analysis leading to a false conclusion)

The runaway greenhouse claim *might* turn out to be false but we won't know until it doesn't happen. Since we are in a period of accelerating warming, it seems too early to rule it out.

sounding 05-30-2023 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2222090)
Your 7-year cooling trend is a myth as has been explained several times on this forum. (Or just very poor data analysis leading to a false conclusion)

The runaway greenhouse claim *might* turn out to be false but we won't know until it doesn't happen. Since we are in a period of accelerating warming, it seems too early to rule it out.

Yep ... just like the accelerated cooling in the 70s. Climate alarmism is entertaining.

Blueblaze 05-30-2023 05:09 PM

Will they bring up the fact that Earth's greenhouse is caused by the enormous amount water vapor in our atmosphere, and not the trace amount of CO2 -- unlike Venus (Sagan's source for his "runaway greenhouse" theory) which has an atmosphere that is nearly 100% CO2? Will they point out that without our H2O-based greenhouse effect, Earth would be lifeless frozen rock -- exactly like our moon?

Do you think they'll also mention that Venus is 30 million miles closer to the sun than Earth? Could that have at least as much to do with its 900 degree surface temperature as its atmosphere? Mercury, another 30 million miles closer, with no atmosphere, has a 330 degree temperature.

I wonder if they'll also mention that the ice caps on Mars (50 million miles farther than Earth) have grown and receded at the same rate as our own, during the same timeframe that Sagan's "runaway greenhouse" theory has terrorized the science-ignorant dumb masses. Or that Mars ALSO has a CO2 atmosphere (that for some reason is not "running away")?

sounding 05-30-2023 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueblaze (Post 2222170)
Will they bring up the fact that Earth's greenhouse is caused by the enormous amount water vapor in our atmosphere, and not the trace amount of CO2 -- unlike Venus (Sagan's source for his "runaway greenhouse" theory) which has an atmosphere that is nearly 100% CO2? Will they point out that without our H2O-based greenhouse effect, Earth would be lifeless frozen rock -- exactly like our moon?

Do you think they'll also mention that Venus is 30 million miles closer to the sun than Earth? Could that have at least as much to do with its 900 degree surface temperature as its atmosphere? Mercury, another 30 million miles closer, with no atmosphere, has a 330 degree temperature.

I wonder if they'll also mention that the ice caps on Mars (50 million miles farther than Earth) have grown and receded at the same rate as our own, during the same timeframe that Sagan's "runaway greenhouse" theory has terrorized the science-ignorant dumb masses. Or that Mars ALSO has a CO2 atmosphere (that for some reason is not "running away")?

Excellent post. This image should answer most of your questions ...

Taltarzac725 05-31-2023 05:31 PM

Carl Sagan. Now there is a myth maker.

Normal 06-01-2023 08:18 AM

Sky is Falling

We heard it all back in the early 70s. Dead sheep head fish on the shores of Lake Erie, the Cuyahoga river catching fire etc. We cleaned up our act to much higher standards than the era and all is good now. There always seems to be the Negative Nelly to claim things are just terrible so we can just keep upping it one more.

Jim1mack 06-01-2023 09:40 AM

Presession

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueblaze (Post 2222170)

One thing that is never mentioned is Presession. Earth's wobble. It is not always inclined 23.5 degrees from the solar plain. It’s wobble is cyclical. See Milankovitch Cycles.

Whitley 06-02-2023 08:41 AM

New Ice Age

In the seventies I was in grade school. I recall warnings we would get from the News, From magazines, and in school concerning global freezing. . Attached is one article in New Science
1975 - “The threat of a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a likely source of wholesale death and misery for mankind” Nigel Calder, editor, New Scientist magazine, in an article in International Wildlife Magazine
What a disaster it would be had we enacted laws meant to increase the global temperature back in the 1970's.

sounding 06-02-2023 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitley (Post 2222840)
In the seventies I was in grade school. I recall warnings we would get from the News, From magazines, and in school concerning global freezing. . Attached is one article in New Science
1975 - “The threat of a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a likely source of wholesale death and misery for mankind” Nigel Calder, editor, New Scientist magazine, in an article in International Wildlife Magazine
What a disaster it would be had we enacted laws meant to increase the global temperature back in the 1970's.

Ditto. Carl Sagan, back then, contributed to the "ice age" hysteria by also pushing "nuclear winter" alarmism during the cold war. This will also be discussed at 4 PM at the Lake Miona talk.

Two Bills 06-02-2023 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sounding (Post 2222845)
Ditto. Carl Sagan, back then, contributed to the "ice age" hysteria by also pushing "nuclear winter" alarmism during the cold war.

Carl Sagan?
I thought Anna Wintour was Nuclear Winter

sounding 06-02-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2222847)
Carl Sagan?
I thought Anna Wintour was Nuclear Winter

For more information ... today (June 2), at 4 PM, at the Lake Miona Recreation Center.

Whitley 06-02-2023 10:29 AM

I brought this up at a local University (in Sarasota) and was told that the global freeze was only reported by four publications. You can see hundreds if you look. They try to rewrite history, knowing a segment of the population will simply accept what they say. Another "Climate Scientist" admitted they hype and sensationalize and overstate the threat of global warming, but that it is necessary in order to get action.

golfing eagles 06-02-2023 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitley (Post 2222880)
I brought this up at a local University (in Sarasota) and was told that the global freeze was only reported by four publications. You can see hundreds if you look. They try to rewrite history, knowing a segment of the population will simply accept what they say. Another "Climate Scientist" admitted they hype and sensationalize and overstate the threat of global warming, but that it is necessary in order to get action.

And the "action" they want is to spend $100 TRILLION over the next 50 years to "combat" what is :
A) a myth and
B) beyond our capabilities to negate the effects of the sun, Earth's axis and orbit and
C) cycles of 60-100,000 years that have been going on for the last 4 million years, all without the contribution of fossil fuels.

Blueblaze 06-03-2023 08:24 AM

My son-in-law is an Ag scientist at Missouri U. He once merely expressed skepticism about man-made global warming during water-cooler talk. It effectively ended his career. He was not offered tenure when he became eligible, which is the same as being fired in our corrupt university system.

But he was such a beloved teacher that his students protested and started a letter writing campaign that saved his job. The University agreed to allow him to continue his research (worth millions in grant money), on the condition that he add a freshman biology class to his schedule. Five years later, he still doesn't have tenure, so he'll never be able to move to a different university (Texas A&M and Florida once pursued him relentlessly). But he has wised up since then. He dutifully drunk the koolaid and is now a fierce proponent of global warming and whatever else he's told to think. So is my daughter. They've become so afraid to expose their kids to the common sense they were raised on that we're lucky if they let us see our grandkids once a year.