Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Beware Mid-Florida Heating & Air trying to sell Surge Protectors (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/beware-mid-florida-heating-air-trying-sell-surge-protectors-140549/)

seacoastbargain 01-24-2015 12:30 PM

Beware Mid-Florida Heating & Air trying to sell Surge Protectors

We had Mid-Florida Heating & Air come do our Furnace Cleaning and they came recommended. I don't doubt they did a good job, but at the end the guy said our outside Central Air Surge protector was "fried" and they could sell me one for over $219.00. He showed the surge protector to me in the original box.
Since I sell online, I asked if i could look the same exact one up, and sure enough, found the same one selling for $60.00. I told him what I had found, explained I felt that was a very big markup, and passed.
I will be purchasing my own and finding a local trusted electrician to install.
Anyone have a good electrician to recommend?

Steve & Deanna 01-24-2015 04:07 PM

Doesn't SECO, our electric company, sell whole house surge protectors? We do not have one yet but you may want to call SECO.

philnpat 01-24-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seacoastbargain (Post 1000469)
We had Mid-Florida Heating & Air come do our Furnace Cleaning and they came recommended. I don't doubt they did a good job, but at the end the guy said our outside Central Air Surge protector was "fried" and they could sell me one for over $219.00. He showed the surge protector to me in the original box.
Since I sell online, I asked if i could look the same exact one up, and sure enough, found the same one selling for $60.00. I told him what I had found, explained I felt that was a very big markup, and passed.

If the surge protector was "fried" I doubt that the AC unit would be operational.

Sandtrap328 01-24-2015 04:25 PM

Be sure to check with Seniors vs Crime on hiring an electrician. They are open in Sumter County on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10-2. They will not recommend any specific electrician but will tell you if there are unresolved complaints about a company or person.

They also would be interested to hear about the experience you had with this company. Some of those "inspections or cleanings" are just a way to get into your system and tell you that you need more extensive work - when your system is fine.

I think a permit is mandatory for electrical work but Seniors vs Crime can tell you for sure.

JoMar 01-24-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seacoastbargain (Post 1000469)

We Had Pike install a whole house protector at the panel. I believe SECO provides a collar protector at the meter. I suspect someone knows the difference but we went with Pike since we are relatively new here and they did the original wiring during construction.

redwitch 01-24-2015 04:30 PM

Lenhart's is very good and ethical.

Chatbrat 01-24-2015 04:33 PM

Home Depot sells plug in whole house surge protectors--if you have the expertise to change a circuit breaker you can instal one of these-its a no brainer

seacoastbargain 01-24-2015 05:03 PM

Thanks I will check with SECO.