Beware Mid-Florida Heating & Air trying to sell Surge Protectors

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Default Beware Mid-Florida Heating & Air trying to sell Surge Protectors

We had Mid-Florida Heating & Air come do our Furnace Cleaning and they came recommended. I don't doubt they did a good job, but at the end the guy said our outside Central Air Surge protector was "fried" and they could sell me one for over $219.00. He showed the surge protector to me in the original box.
Since I sell online, I asked if i could look the same exact one up, and sure enough, found the same one selling for $60.00. I told him what I had found, explained I felt that was a very big markup, and passed.
I will be purchasing my own and finding a local trusted electrician to install.
Anyone have a good electrician to recommend?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Doesn't SECO, our electric company, sell whole house surge protectors? We do not have one yet but you may want to call SECO.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacoastbargain View Post
We had Mid-Florida Heating & Air come do our Furnace Cleaning and they came recommended. I don't doubt they did a good job, but at the end the guy said our outside Central Air Surge protector was "fried" and they could sell me one for over $219.00. He showed the surge protector to me in the original box.
Since I sell online, I asked if i could look the same exact one up, and sure enough, found the same one selling for $60.00. I told him what I had found, explained I felt that was a very big markup, and passed.
If the surge protector was "fried" I doubt that the AC unit would be operational.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Eternal Member

Be sure to check with Seniors vs Crime on hiring an electrician. They are open in Sumter County on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10-2. They will not recommend any specific electrician but will tell you if there are unresolved complaints about a company or person.

They also would be interested to hear about the experience you had with this company. Some of those "inspections or cleanings" are just a way to get into your system and tell you that you need more extensive work - when your system is fine.

I think a permit is mandatory for electrical work but Seniors vs Crime can tell you for sure.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,356 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacoastbargain View Post
We Had Pike install a whole house protector at the panel. I believe SECO provides a collar protector at the meter. I suspect someone knows the difference but we went with Pike since we are relatively new here and they did the original wiring during construction.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Lenhart's is very good and ethical.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Sage

Home Depot sells plug in whole house surge protectors--if you have the expertise to change a circuit breaker you can instal one of these-its a no brainer
Old 01-24-2015, 05:03 PM

Thanks I will check with SECO.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.