Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Golfers, please stay out of the garden (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/golfers-please-stay-out-garden-146320/)

kittygilchrist 03-07-2015 10:16 AM

Golfers, please stay out of the garden

This will be the second year I grow butterfly plants next to the golf course.
Last year I raised over 6 dozen monarchs, whiose species is slated to be on the endangered list.
Yesterday, four golfers were in my garden after a ball. The ball was retrieved from where it nearly touched the lanai by a man who did not see my plants.

Dearhearts, please consider that you are on someones private space where they have an intention that you may violate by trampling.

redwitch 03-07-2015 10:59 AM

Maybe a warning sign .... Golf ball seekers will be pelted onsite (pun intended)?

Sadly, I think this is one of those things where it is up to the character of the player. Some would never dream of going on your property. Others would never dream of not retrieving their ball. Maybe would be best to find another spot for your garden?

kittygilchrist 03-07-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 1024722)
Maybe a warning sign .... Golf ball seekers will be pelted onsite (pun intended)?

Sadly, I think this is one of those things where it is up to the character of the player. Some would never dream of going on your property. Others would never dream of not retrieving their ball. Maybe would be best to find another spot for your garden?

Dee, I am not retreating. Asking for respect.

villagetinker 03-07-2015 11:10 AM

How about a sign, please do not retrieve balls from yard, if allowed.

dewilson58 03-07-2015 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1024734)
How about a sign, please do not retrieve balls from yard, if allowed.

I agree.

I'm the golfer who..............if I hit it into a yard, and it's sitting there in the grass in plain sight I will retrieve it (I hate to think about the lawnmower firing a ball into a window, person, or pet). But if I don't see it, I will leave it. But, But..........if there is a sign, I will do what is wished.

George Bieniaszek 03-07-2015 12:43 PM

How about a well aimed "Super Soaker" when they are bending down to look for their ball :)

"Whoops -- I'm sorry!! I was just watering my landscaping!!!"

cms36 03-07-2015 12:52 PM

I think I read in the latest Villages magazine that said never go into a back yard to retrieve a ball.

jnieman 03-07-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygilchrist (Post 1024691)
This will be the second year I grow butterfly plants next to the golf course.
Last year I raised over 6 dozen monarchs, whiose species is slated to be on the endangered list.
Yesterday, four golfers were in my garden after a ball. The ball was retrieved from where it nearly touched the lanai by a man who did not see my plants.

Dearhearts, please consider that you are on someones private space where they have an intention that you may violate by trampling.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Lawn-Yard-Sign--Daisy/dp/B005C1YT5E/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1425751136&sr=8-16&keywords=keep+out+sign]Amazon.com : Stay Off Lawn Yard Sign-By Duke Za Daisy : Stay Off Grass Sign : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

cute little sign that gets the point across

ugotme 03-07-2015 01:11 PM

I do not live on a golf course but would never go into a garden for a ball.
As Dewilson stated if it is "right there" on the lawn and I can reach it to grab it fine,
but to go through your garden - never.

Some people don't think or care.
My favorite expression - "You can't fix stupid."

Polar Bear 03-07-2015 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1024740)
I agree.

I'm the golfer who..............if I hit it into a yard, and it's sitting there in the grass in plain sight I will retrieve it (I hate to think about the lawnmower firing a ball into a window, person, or pet). But if I don't see it, I will leave it. But, But..........if there is a sign, I will do what is wished.

That's my approach also.

wholman66 03-07-2015 02:33 PM

I live on a golf course, I don't mind someone reaching into my yard to retrieve a ball, I do however mind someone in my flower beds or searching between the houses.

Sanibel7 03-07-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wholman66 (Post 1024854)
I live on a golf course, I don't mind someone reaching into my yard to retrieve a ball, I do however mind someone in my flower beds or searching between the houses.

Look I also Live on a Golf course and Guess what.. The Rules are the Rules... Do not enter a residents yard..end of story.. If you are playing golf.. you are restricted to the course.. you have paid to be on the course.. Out of Bounds is exactly that.. Not on the course.. Keep Out. I have been gardening in the yard and been hit with a ball and guess what.. Not even a courtesy FORE was yelled. I am really sick and tired of those who think they can do what they want where ever.. I've even had a Resident. walk into my lanai off the golf course and change the channel on my Tv to get the Football scores that he wanted to see.. End of story Please respect all who live here.. do not enter anyone else's property Please

JoMar 03-07-2015 07:31 PM

Played Bonifay today with some visitors. The Ambassador that checked us in at Fort Walton made it clear that the yards are private property and that we are not to go into their yards to retrieve balls. My personal opinion, when it comes to respecting a persons property or a golf ball the respect for the property comes first. If the owner is on their Lanai or outside I will ask if I can retrieve it but if they say no....then it's no. Compare it to a stranger walking past your house and they see something on your property that interests them and they just walk up to look at it......would you think that's ok?

Mleeja 03-07-2015 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanibel7 (Post 1024942)
Look I also Live on a Golf course and Guess what.. The Rules are the Rules... Do not enter a residents yard..end of story.. If you are playing golf.. you are restricted to the course.. you have paid to be on the course.. Out of Bounds is exactly that.. Not on the course.. Keep Out. I have been gardening in the yard and been hit with a ball and guess what.. Not even a courtesy FORE was yelled. I am really sick and tired of those who think they can do what they want where ever.. I've even had a Resident. walk into my lanai off the golf course and change the channel on my Tv to get the Football scores that he wanted to see.. End of story Please respect all who live here.. do not enter anyone else's property Please

I agree with what you are writing. However you chose to live on the golf
course. You have to expect this to happen. If a ball is in plain sight, I have no problem with the player retrieving the ball. Hunting for it in a garden is a different story. Entering your lanai...is trespassing and takes the discusdion to a whole new level. Someone who does something like this should have thier balls removed. If you catch my drift....

Pepperhead 03-07-2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1024979)
I agree with what you are writing. However you chose to live on the golf
course. You have to expect this to happen. If a ball is in plain sight, I have no problem with the player retrieving the ball. Hunting for it in a garden is a different story. Entering your lanai...is trespassing and takes the discusdion to a whole new level. Someone who does something like this should have thier balls removed. If you catch my drift....

Living on a golf course implies that one should expect golf balls on their property, not golfers.