Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Need Clarification (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/need-clarification-147898/)

MCV2015 03-19-2015 09:04 AM

Need Clarification

It is my understanding that families under the age of 55yrs old can reside in the villages (either purchase or rent a home) , the fair act law states that as long as 80% of the community is 55yrs or older than 20% can be under 55yrs old.
Can someone confirm this.

Villager Joyce 03-19-2015 09:22 AM

This is your second post. Are you trying to encourage a coup against us old folks?

MCV2015 03-19-2015 09:25 AM

No, I am just posting in 2 areas in the event my post is missed. WOW - calm down there - just asking a question. SMH!!!

blueash 03-19-2015 09:26 AM

Housing for Older Persons Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Section 2, defining "housing for older persons", amends Section 807(b)(2)(C) of the Fair Housing Act,[5] as that being

intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older, and--

(i) at least 80 percent of the occupied units are occupied by at least one person who is 55 years of age or older

(ii) the housing facility or community publishes and adheres to policies and procedures that demonstrate the intent required under this subparagraph; and

(iii) the housing facility or community complies with rules issued by the Secretary for verification of occupancy, which shall--

(I) provide for verification by reliable surveys and affidavits; and
(II) include examples of the types of policies and procedures relevant to a determination of compliance with the requirement of clause (ii). Such surveys and affidavits shall be admissible in administrative and judicial proceedings for the purposes of such verification.

Villager Joyce 03-19-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCV2015 (Post 1031049)
No, I am just posting in 2 areas in the event my post is missed. WOW - calm down there - just asking a question. SMH!!!

You may also lighten up my friend. No need to send another nasty gram PM. I get it.

outahere 03-19-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCV2015 (Post 1031031)
It is my understanding that families under the age of 55yrs old can reside in the villages (either purchase or rent a home) , the fair act law states that as long as 80% of the community is 55yrs or older than 20% can be under 55yrs old.
Can someone confirm this.

You are essentially correct. However, the deed restrictions state that no one under the age of 19 can live here full time, no matter how old the homeowner/renter is. Anyone under 55 would probably have to buy a re-sale home, since I don't think TV will sell that person a new home. I know that when we were starting our house search, one of the first things the TV sales rep asked us to prove was that at least one of us was 55 or over.

MCV2015 03-19-2015 09:40 AM

So I am confused - where does the Fair Act law play out in the scenario you mentioned? Are the TV sales rep only allowing 55yr old or older to purchase and not allowing under 55 to purchase. Seems like age discrimination and not abiding by the Fair Act Law.

Lovey2 03-19-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outahere (Post 1031061)
You are essentially correct. However, the deed restrictions state that no one under the age of 19 can live here full time, no matter how old the homeowner/renter is. Anyone under 55 would probably have to buy a re-sale home, since I don't think TV will sell that person a new home. I know that when we were starting our house search, one of the first things the TV sales rep asked us to prove was that at least one of us was 55 or over.

Not true...our friends, at 50, built a beautiful home here...

outahere 03-19-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovey2 (Post 1031068)
Not true...our friends, at 50, built a beautiful home here...

Thanks for the info - I was not aware that those under 55 could purchase a new property. I stand corrected.

Lovey2 03-19-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCV2015 (Post 1031064)
So I am confused - where does the Fair Act law play out in the scenario you mentioned? Are the TV sales rep only allowing 55yr old or older to purchase and not allowing under 55 to purchase. Seems like age discrimination and not abiding by the Fair Act Law.

NO, NO, and NO! We started looking before we were 55 and had no problem purchasing a home then. It was never an issue with our Sales Associate. Granted, things may change periodically, so it's best you call the Sales Office and speak with someone, I guess. Also, have friends that built a lovely home on a golf course when they were 50.

Lovey2 03-19-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outahere (Post 1031074)
Thanks for the info - I was not aware that those under 55 could purchase a new property. I stand corrected.

No problem...we just happen to know someone that did, and we tried ourselves at 53 and 51. Again...things may change as the population and therefore, the percentages,
change.

MCV2015 03-19-2015 10:03 AM

Thank you for the information :)

graciegirl 03-19-2015 01:11 PM

[///

dotti105 03-19-2015 10:51 PM

We have neighbors who purchased a new home from the Villages, while it was under construction. They are both in their 40's. No kids.

Purchasing from The Villages while under 55 is not a problem. Having anyone under 19 in the home for more than 30 days is a violation of the covenants.

VT2TV 03-19-2015 11:40 PM

That's one of the things I am going to put on my survey--to see if or how they track what the actual percentage is. Between all of the under 40 and under 50 that have built down south, and all of the linger ons that live with parents and grandparents, and all the renters under age that star in that other online news because of their "fun activities", I can't help but believe that we are way over 20%. and yes, I know within reason what 20% would approx. be based on who know what the population is at different times of the year. I just would be very interested in knowing. Not that I have any doubt that The Villages would find a way to sell to anyone who could buy a house. Before anyone sends nasty comments, my note is part tongue in cheek, part sarcasm, and part real question.