Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Golf cart speed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/golf-cart-speed-243457/)

TVJewel 07-03-2017 06:09 AM

Golf cart speed

:shrug:
[COLOR="Black"]I am passed up many times when driving my cart. I thought the limit for golf carts was 20 mph. When last serviced I had it increased from 18 to 20. Just heard from a neighbor that 24 mph was approved. True? Can't find that anywhere to verify. Thanks![/COLOR]

Chatbrat 07-03-2017 06:26 AM

The law is 19.9-25 for street legal

golfing eagles 07-03-2017 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVJewel (Post 1419927)
[COLOR="Black"]I am passed up many times when driving my cart. I thought the limit for golf carts was 20 mph. When last serviced I had it increased from 18 to 20. Just heard from a neighbor that 24 mph was approved. True? Can't find that anywhere to verify. Thanks![/COLOR]

False.

Florida Golf Cart & Low Speed Vehicle Laws
Guidelines for Golf Carts and PTVs (Personal Transportation Vehicles)
A golf cart must be equipped with efficient brakes, reliable steering apparatus, safe tires, a rearview mirror, and red reflectorized warning devices in both the front and rear.
Operating a golf cart on public roads is prohibited unless the road has been determined safe*by local jurisdiction to be used by golf carts. In this case, there will be appropriate golf cart signs, etc.
Golf carts may only operate on streets with posted speed limits of 30 MPH and under. Golf carts may, however, cross streets with posted speed limits of 45 MPH and under- just not drive them.
Golf carts may only travel during daytime unless the local government has authorized night driving and the golf cart is equipped with headlights, brake lights, turn signals, and a windshield. Then, it may be used at night.
Golf carts may not be operated on public roads or streets by persons under the age of 14.
Golf carts are only allowed a max speed of 20 MPH or less.

baustgen 07-03-2017 06:31 AM

Think you are going 70 mph on I75 and count the cars passing you. Now do you understand?

OpusX1 07-03-2017 07:39 AM

If your tired of getting passed get yourself a plum quick cart.
Plum Quick Golf Cart vs 5.0 Mustang - YouTube :pepper2::pepper2::pepper2:

Polar Bear 07-03-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baustgen (Post 1419936)
...you are going 70 mph on I75...count the cars passing you...

Pretty well sums it up.

leftyf 07-03-2017 09:00 AM

Sometime when there is no other carts close by, get your cart to it's top speed and slam on the brakes. It's really scary at 20 mph. The cart just skids and the rear brakes don't stop you nearly quick enough to avoid an accident. I don't want to go faster than 20 mph on my cart.

villagetinker 07-03-2017 09:09 AM

Pinellas Place has a radar sign on it currently. As I went by in my car, it said 29 MPH, my speedometer indicated very close to 30, I NEVER DID CATCH UP TO THE GOLF CART IN FRONT OF ME! Also, I have been PASSED on the right by a golf cart, when I was doing 30 to 31 MPH in my car! I regularly see golf carts passing other carts in Pinellas place. It appears many people are just in a hurry.....

rjm1cc 07-03-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVJewel (Post 1419927)

I think it is still 19.5. If your cart is driven faster you have to get a license and different insurance on it. The 24 could be the max. From memory I would have said 25.
Take a look at this to get the correct details
https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/mv/lowspeedvehicles.pdf

kellyjam 07-03-2017 09:52 AM

The Villages Golf Carts in Brownwood moved my neighbors cart speed up to 24 for his Yamaha. They said it wouldn't work on Club Cars because it would cause backfiring. Get ready for a lot of Yamaha's in TV going 24.

birdiebill 07-03-2017 09:56 AM

To be a legal golf cart in Florida, it can not exceed 20 mph. If it goes faster than that, it is considered a low speed vehicle by Florida law. To be a LEGAL low speed vehicle, the owner must register it with the state, license it and carry insurance on it. PERIOD. Many have increased the speed of their carts to over 20 and have no recourse IF they are ever stopped by law enforcement or are involved in an accident.

village dreamer 07-03-2017 11:02 AM

how about some speed traps........and ticket$$$$

Polar Bear 07-03-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjam (Post 1420082)
...Get ready for a lot of Yamaha's in TV going 24.

You mean like it's been for years?

tagjr1 07-03-2017 01:29 PM

"--if they are ever stopped by Law Enforcement", When was the last time LE stopped any golf cart for any infractions here in the Villages?

kcrazorbackfan 07-03-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by village dreamer (Post 1420101)
how about some speed traps........and ticket$$$$

That will really **** the natives off. People will squall about that worse than dog poop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagjr1 (Post 1420164)
"--if they are ever stopped by Law Enforcement", When was the last time LE stopped any golf cart for any infractions here in the Villages?

A Sumter Co Sheriff's Deputy stopped a cart right behind my home on St. Charles last night for speeding; I went out on the patio to watch/listen.