Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Singles (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/singles-124/)
-   -   hi from Firenze Italy (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/singles-124/hi-firenze-italy-260244/)

chachacha 04-05-2018 03:24 PM

hi from Firenze Italy

hi gang, i see not much is happening on this forum so i thought i would share my great experience studying a language in Florence, Italy. i combined this with a group tour and have had a blast...the learning experience can be done in any country and is an immediate way to meet people from all over the world. my friend jeannie is taking a cooking class besides the Italian class, and i am taking Art History, taught in Italian, which is very interesting. The school, Michelangelo Institute, arranges group tours at very low prices and the art history teacher also takes us to museums etc as part of the curriculum...there are students from Brazil, Germany, Columbia, US, China, almost everywhere and we have group dinners which are a lot of fun. We are in a Senior program with a special low price but the fellow students are all ages...some as young as 18 :) a nice change from the Villages for a while. So think about putting a learning cap on for Italian, Spanish, German, French, i am sure almost every country has language schools that are similar. It's a wonderful way to see a city and a country and meet new people while learning! Has anyone had any experience about this kind of thing to share here?

Madelaine Amee 04-05-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachacha (Post 1530453)
hi gang, i see not much is happening on this forum so i thought i would share my great experience studying a language in Florence, Italy. i combined this with a group tour and have had a blast...the learning experience can be done in any country and is an immediate way to meet people from all over the world. my friend jeannie is taking a cooking class besides the Italian class, and i am taking Art History, taught in Italian, which is very interesting. The school, Michelangelo Institute, arranges group tours at very low prices and the art history teacher also takes us to museums etc as part of the curriculum...there are students from Brazil, Germany, Columbia, US, China, almost everywhere and we have group dinners which are a lot of fun. We are in a Senior program with a special low price but the fellow students are all ages...some as young as 18 :) a nice change from the Villages for a while. So think about putting a learning cap on for Italian, Spanish, German, French, i am sure almost every country has language schools that are similar. It's a wonderful way to see a city and a country and meet new people while learning! Has anyone had any experience about this kind of thing to share here?

Where are you staying while at the school? Sounds like a great way to see Florence and meet some really interesting people. How long are you staying? Interested to hear more about your trip.

jojo 04-05-2018 07:32 PM

I would very much enjoy that. Hope to see you when you get back.

ColdNoMore 04-06-2018 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Loved Firenze!

Hard not to love it with the fantastic history, top quality leather goods (bought three jackets/coats)...and a balcony view like this. :cool:

Paddygirl 04-06-2018 07:21 AM

And The FOOD!!!!!!!

ladygolfer123 04-06-2018 07:24 AM

What a great idea, journey, learning and fun experience! Please share more when you return!!

chachacha 04-06-2018 12:58 PM

nice to see all the great responses! we first took a two week tour which included our air fare and arranged our return for three weeks later...we rented an apt which can be done through AirBnB, **** or Trip Advisor as well as many other sites...we wanted to be close to the school and we are! in the old neighborhood of Firenze where the homes of Michelangelo's family and Verrazzano are just blocks away. with two people sharing expenses it is not bad, much cheaper than a hotel and we can cook, snack, lay around whenever we want :) as i am doing right now! when i get back anyone who wants to discuss doing this is welcome to come over and chat!

manaboutown 04-06-2018 01:31 PM

You certainly do know how to travel, Dianne! Ciao!

My Post 04-06-2018 01:48 PM

What are you eating??

ColdNoMore 04-06-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Post (Post 1530707)
What are you eating??

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess...Italian. :1rotfl:

tomwed 04-06-2018 07:25 PM

I was in Italy for 3 weeks about 10 years ago. I did whatever Rick Steves told me to do right down to what syle Rockport shoe to buy. I was a fish out of water. Rick Steves told me that when I get in a cab ask the driver how much the trip will cost.

Try it out [maybe].

When I asked he got insulted and said, "i don't know" and for the next 20 minutes he went into an Italian yelling frenzy, using both hands sometimes and all I could do was look out the window not knowing what would happen next. Now I think it's funny.

I want to go back.

Mrs. Robinson 04-07-2018 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1530743)
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess...Italian. :1rotfl:

I'm sure you are right.

The great thing about that is our (U. S.) Italian food is definitely not their Italian!
In addition, northern Italian food is great.

chachacha 04-07-2018 02:24 PM

we are in Eataly, after all....tonight had two cannelloni stuffed with meat and a contorno of grilled eggplant, zucchini, pepper and tomato! tomorrow the school is taking us to Pisa and Lucca by train....hope we can find the station! :)