Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   What are the biggest rip-off co.s in TV (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/what-biggest-rip-off-co-s-tv-261035/)

Chatbrat 04-15-2018 12:09 PM

What are the biggest rip-off co.s in TV

After reading about VIR, there should be a listing of companies posted through out TV to warn residents

Use these companies @ your own risk:
1) Tire Choice
2) Perk Med Spa (in bankruptcy)
3) VIR property mgt

I'm talking about companies that are out & out not reputable

Not companies whose service or job didn't meet your expectations

Please add to this list

retiredguy123 04-15-2018 12:31 PM

Here are a few of my favorite non-reputable companies. All companies that sell annuities, time shares, home warranties, and prepaid cremations. Also, all contractors who require a cash deposit before doing any work, especially those who will not accept a credit card.

golf2140 04-15-2018 12:38 PM

Aspen Dental charged almost $1000.00 for 1 hour of scaling .

retiredguy123 04-15-2018 12:42 PM

Village Dental wanted $1200 to scale 3 quarters of my teeth. I went somewhere else.

Chatbrat 04-15-2018 01:49 PM

Aspen Dental is known nation wide as a rip-off chain

queasy27 04-15-2018 01:55 PM

Re cremation: I signed up online for prepaid cremation services through Baldwin. I didn't get any kind of sales push, and in fact never spoke to anyone. They've never spammed or marketed to me afterwards. Total cost was $750.

Now, I'm not quite dead yet, so it "cremains" to be seen what happens then!

GoodLife 04-15-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1533320)
Here are a few of my favorite non-reputable companies. All companies that sell annuities, time shares, home warranties, and prepaid cremations. Also, all contractors who require a cash deposit before doing any work, especially those who will not accept a credit card.

LOL. I want you to put a $60,000 pool with birdcage in my backyard with over $20,000 in materials and no deposit from me. Good luck

retiredguy123 04-15-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1533352)
Re cremation: I signed up online for prepaid cremation services through Baldwin. I didn't get any kind of sales push, and in fact never spoke to anyone. They've never spammed or marketed to me afterwards. Total cost was $750.

Now, I'm not quite dead yet, so it "cremains" to be seen what happens then!

I'm going to let someone else, who is alive, deal with my cremation, or whatever. When you buy a car, do you prepay the dealer for your next car? It just makes no sense to me to pay in advance for your funeral, as long as your estate can afford it. But, you can get a lot of free dinners from people who want to sell you a prepaid cremation. And, I guess they have a vested interest in giving you a healthy meal, so you will live a long life.

retiredguy123 04-15-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1533360)
LOL. I want you to put a $60,000 pool with birdcage in my backyard with over $20,000 in materials and no deposit from me. Good luck

I have had a lot of construction work done over the years, and have NEVER paid for work in advance. I have made partial progress payments, based on work completed, but I would never pay someone a deposit who has not done any work. When I first moved to The Villages, Jamies Landscaping and Choice Maintenance both quoted me landscaping projects in excess of $6,000. They didn't want any money until the entire project was completed.

biker1 04-15-2018 03:43 PM

Normally I would agree but in the case of a construction project with custom ordered materials (i.e. can't be returned), a deposit is not unwarranted. Without non-returnable materials, a series of "draws" as work is completed is typical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1533366)
I have had a lot of construction work done over the years, and have NEVER paid for work in advance. I have made partial progress payments, based on work completed, but I would never pay someone a deposit who has not done any work. When I first moved to The Villages, Jamies Landscaping and Choice Maintenance both quoted me landscaping projects in excess of $6,000. They didn't want any money until the entire project was completed.

retiredguy123 04-15-2018 04:15 PM

I'm talking about the guys who come to your house, give you a verbal quote and want half of the money in advance to "schedule" the work. Anybody who gives these people money deserves to lose it. But, some people do.

Toymeister 04-15-2018 05:36 PM

Vir

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1533310)
After reading about VIR, there should be a listing of companies posted through out TV to warn residents

Use these companies @ your own risk:
1) Tire Choice
2) Perk Med Spa (in bankruptcy)
3) VIR property mgt

I'm talking about companies that are out & out not reputable

Not companies whose service or job didn't meet your expectations

Please add to this list

VIR is so bad they build in a clause for the owner and renter that you cannot leave negative remarks anywhere on the web about them.

They even build in a surcharge if you dispute a charge for renting a property. $295.00!

twoplanekid 04-15-2018 06:14 PM

Has anyone used this service? -> About Concierge | Concierge | Home Services at the Touch of a Button

2BNTV 04-15-2018 06:17 PM

I agree that Aspen Dental and Smile Dentistry among some others was giving estimates for way more, than what was needed. IMHO

These dental offices are the only ones that come with Medical Advantage.

After four years, I found a dentists who did what I asked, without trying to rip me off. Of course, I have to pay the total costs but it's still cheaper.

I am a happy camper.

BTW - It's always, buyer beware!!!

Polar Bear 04-15-2018 06:27 PM

///