Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Fair priced landscapers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/fair-priced-landscapers-297236/)

Northerner52 08-22-2019 05:47 AM

Fair priced landscapers

I think many of the landscapers overcharge for their gravel, brick etc design services. Who has reasonable prices?

retiredguy123 08-22-2019 07:19 AM

I don't think you can really decide on a landscaper based on low prices. When I first moved to The Villages, I got 5 written quotes for the same rock landscape project. Jamie's and Choice Maintenance were each more than two times the cost offered by the other three guys. One guy's quote was less than the actual cost for the stones. However, Jamie's and Choice were the only companies that I would have hired.

JSR22 08-22-2019 07:44 AM

Choice Maintenance has done a lot of work at my home. They do beautiful work, show up on time and clean up.

graciegirl 08-22-2019 08:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I think it wise to always comparison shop, talk to neighbors and people whose landscaping you admire. If you are new, don't rush to plant palms or change the really good plants that come with your house. We have kept those plants both times and only removed some as they grew and believe me, if you are new to Florida, you won't believe how fast they grow.

Just like anyone, landscapers are looking to make money and there is nothing wrong with that. I just don't want to be their home run hit.

billethkid 08-22-2019 08:34 AM

I know most of you know this but it usually bears repeating:

Always get more than one quote.
Check their history/performance/satisfaction as much as possible.
Choose those that are licensed and insured.

Reject those who require payment in advance.

As noted prices will vary widely and very widely.

TheWarriors 08-22-2019 10:30 AM

Recommendation for Jamie’s Landscaping. Had 3 quotes from reputable firms, checked references, and compared details/plans. No money until the project is completed, great workmanship and did above and beyond expectations. If there is one area I believe it’s worth spending a few dollars, here in Florida where you can enjoy the outdoors 365 days a year, it would be landscaping. There is something to say for a company that runs continuously without advertising, word of mouth from satisfied customers speaks volumes.

rjn5656 08-23-2019 04:58 AM

Luis Landscaping has done a lot of projects in our neighborhood. Word of mouth for recommendations is the best way to go. If you see a project someone did and you like it, stop and ask them who did it.

Ozzello 08-23-2019 01:30 PM

Just used Home Advisor to get some landscape bids, and was sent the name of 3 landscape companies. None were registered with Workman's Comp insurance and 2 of the 3 I could not find anything about on the internet, phone book or any other place. Pretty sure all 3 of them will have good pricing, but I won't be calling them. Too many scams out there where they want to come to your house to case you for a later scam. I will stick with the guys I know do great work. Escapes, Jamie's and... well Escapes and Jamies. The rest are posers.

JoMar 08-23-2019 02:33 PM

So how do you define "fair priced"?

GrumpyOldMan 08-23-2019 02:47 PM

I personally don't care what a contractor charges for supplies. I care what the total project cost is and what their reputation is for delivering quality on time. How they come to their quote is not relevant, and showing cost of materials to me is just waiting my time. I want to know the bottom line.

Serenoa 08-23-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1675510)
So how do you define "fair priced"?

Yeah, I was wondering if fair priced was more, or less than the often mentioned "reasonably priced"?

califblondeinflorida 09-07-2019 06:36 PM

Recommendation Choise Maintenance/ Hardscapes

This is a recommendation for Choice Maintenance and Choice Hardscapes and Mike there.. I got stood up several times this spring by several landscapers simply coming to give an estimate. I almost gave up on the project I had in mind. Luckily I found Choice Maintenance and Mike came on time --every time and answered my questions and answered my calls professionally. Did the job for the quoted price and very gentlemanly. He gave a fair quote- and they did a terrific job all with a great professional crew in record time. No money up front- Owner called a couple of days later and took my credit card. Wonderful to do business with and will start using their mowing service soon.

Celebrator 09-08-2019 08:38 AM

Best company of three

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjn5656 (Post 1675395)
Luis Landscaping has done a lot of projects in our neighborhood. Word of mouth for recommendations is the best way to go. If you see a project someone did and you like it, stop and ask them who did it.

We have had three landscaping projects done and by far Luis and his crew have not only done the best job but also the most reasonably priced.

DAVES 09-12-2019 10:06 AM

Perhaps of interest

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1675514)
I personally don't care what a contractor charges for supplies. I care what the total project cost is and what their reputation is for delivering quality on time. How they come to their quote is not relevant, and showing cost of materials to me is just waiting my time. I want to know the bottom line.

A friend of mine who by the way is a cantankerous genius, says you will find that on a job you have labor and materials. You will find that the labor is equal to the parts. Strange but it seems to work.

Also, as to the price. The price goes up when they are busy. So on an expensive project you may find a good time to buy.

Landscaping, say as many times as you need to-THE RIGHT PLANT IN THE RIGHT PLACE. There is no shortage of people who spend money on plants that are not suited to our growing conditions.
Both the nuseries and more so the box stores sell plants because people insist on buying them that should perhaps like cigarettes have a warning label-WILL NOT LIVE VERY LONG.

600th Photo Sq 09-12-2019 07:15 PM

I really am curious " Why " recommendations contact numbers are practically single every contact is left off so ........Why?

An example I just bought a car from ABC Car sales it was absolutely amazing...Thank You...ABC

So my question is pretty simple on recommending a company why eliminate a contact number. I am bewildered